The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The good ol' days  (Read 11612 times)
KA9UCN

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2017, 04:32:46 PM »

I am so glad that I live in a small town in Indiana, Logansport 18000. I am disabled and old so the grass gets cut 1/3 as often as the neighbors. I put up any antenna I want and although I do not have up a tower and there is a city ordinance that restricts any new towers. When I enquired about a tower they said as long as it is back so far from the street and can’t fall on the neighbors property. It would not be a problem. At this time I am into DIY projects, mostly receive or TX into a load. I only have up a discone. I just took down a 400 foot loop and yes I have a old Chrysler mini van complete with rust that haply sets outside 365 days a year with the broken garage door that has been open at least 3 years. I have owned the property since 1973 and if it was entirely up to me. The grass would have never been cut!
God bless America!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2017, 08:32:15 PM »

I am so glad that I live in a small town in Indiana, Logansport 18000. I am disabled and old so the grass gets cut 1/3 as often as the neighbors. I put up any antenna I want and although I do not have up a tower and there is a city ordinance that restricts any new towers. When I enquired about a tower they said as long as it is back so far from the street and can’t fall on the neighbors property. It would not be a problem. At this time I am into DIY projects, mostly receive or TX into a load. I only have up a discone. I just took down a 400 foot loop and yes I have a old Chrysler mini van complete with rust that haply sets outside 365 days a year with the broken garage door that has been open at least 3 years. I have owned the property since 1973 and if it was entirely up to me. The grass would have never been cut!
God bless America!
  Have a friend who is no longer able to cut his grass do to arthritis!  A robot lawnmower saved the day!!  Smiley
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2017, 06:08:38 AM »

I have a old Chrysler mini van complete with rust that haply sets outside 365 days a year with the broken garage door that has been open at least 3 years. I have owned the property since 1973 and if it was entirely up to me. The grass would have never been cut!

......and that is one reason why there are CC&R's and HOA's. Wink

WB2KSP

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2017, 07:15:51 AM »

I have a old Chrysler mini van complete with rust that haply sets outside 365 days a year with the broken garage door that has been open at least 3 years. I have owned the property since 1973 and if it was entirely up to me. The grass would have never been cut!

Comparing a professionally installed ham radio antenna with a rusted wreck is quite the stretch (and I think KA9UCN was being cynical). Strangely, my ham antennas have had no effect on my property's value, nor have any of my neighbors had difficulty selling their homes, as soon as they've put them up for sale. I guess the anti groups fantasy carries more weight than my reality.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2017, 08:03:57 AM »

Comparing a professionally installed ham radio antenna with a rusted wreck is quite the stretch (and I think KA9UCN was being cynical). Strangely, my ham antennas have had no effect on my property's value, nor have any of my neighbors had difficulty selling their homes, as soon as they've put them up for sale. I guess the anti groups fantasy carries more weight than my reality.

I agree, Dave. A low-profile vertical or dipole in the BACK yard of a postage-stamp sized lot is quite different. That is what an ARPA (not this one) is trying to accomplish. But I wouldn't want to be put in a position of going to my next-door neighbor and saying, "Hey, I'm putting my house up for sale. Would you mind deep-sixing that junker, fixing and closing your garage door, and mowing your lawn?". That's the job of an HOA. Curb appeal (yours and your neighbors) are a major factor in attracting potential buyers.
WB2KSP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2017, 09:04:05 AM »

I agree, Dave. A low-profile vertical or dipole in the BACK yard of a postage-stamp sized lot is quite different. That is what an ARPA (not this one) is trying to accomplish. But I wouldn't want to be put in a position of going to my next-door neighbor and saying, "Hey, I'm putting my house up for sale. Would you mind deep-sixing that junker, fixing and closing your garage door, and mowing your lawn?". That's the job of an HOA. Curb appeal (yours and your neighbors) are a major factor in attracting potential buyers.

Understood. On the other hand I've never had an issue with neighbors behaving in such a manor. Maybe it's the part of the country I live in but I've yet to see that kind of behavior from a neighbor of any of my friends who live in the suburbs of NYC. Part of the problem leading to this kind of behavior stems from people who own homes but are financially unable to maintain them and so the banks end up foreclosing on them and many times they are left to decay. Happily in my area we had relatively few foreclosures in the past 15 years or so and so there were no homes in my area which were not kept up. I don't state this to sound obnoxious or self serving. It is a mater of fact however.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2017, 11:16:40 AM »

Understood. On the other hand I've never had an issue with neighbors behaving in such a manor. Maybe it's the part of the country I live in but I've yet to see that kind of behavior from a neighbor of any of my friends who live in the suburbs of NYC. Part of the problem leading to this kind of behavior stems from people who own homes but are financially unable to maintain them and so the banks end up foreclosing on them and many times they are left to decay. Happily in my area we had relatively few foreclosures in the past 15 years or so and so there were no homes in my area which were not kept up. I don't state this to sound obnoxious or self serving. It is a mater of fact however.

And I've never had such issues with neighbors when I lived in non-HOA/CC&R areas back in suburban Phila. But that's just you and me. Others aren't so lucky with their neighbors. Even my tower and tri-bander was a clean installation in the back yard, while the front of my house (curb appeal) was neatly maintained...by me. I couldn't afford a landscaping service. It's called pride in the appearance of your possessions, and consideration of those around you.

I'm not passing judgment on one's financial or medical conditions. It's unfortunate if such conditions come into play, and I might understand if you live alone with no family or friends to assist you. Or even if you have no neighbors living within, say, 100+ yards of you, where the condition of your home has virtually no impact on anyone. But absent of those situations, I don't get it. I certainly don't consider myself a snob...just a practical, normal, and prideful homeowner.

Question: "IF" your neighbor living within 25 feet of your property had an old rusted junker van in the driveway, a broken, constantly open garage door for the last 3 years, and grass as high as an elephant's eye, would you be perfectly OK with it? An effective HOA wouldn't let that happen.

Again, this is just my opinion. Everyone else's is fine with me...unless you're my next-door neighbor. Wink

73,  Bob K7JQ
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2017, 02:04:03 PM »

Beauty or pride is in the eye of the beholder. In my life there have been dumps that look cool and pristine landscaped properties that have looked terrible. It is simply a matter of opinion which may or may not agree with the owner.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2017, 02:30:49 PM »

Question: "IF" your neighbor living within 25 feet of your property had an old rusted junker van in the driveway, a broken, constantly open garage door for the last 3 years, and grass as high as an elephant's eye, would you be perfectly OK with it? An effective HOA wouldn't let that happen.

Again, this is just my opinion. Everyone else's is fine with me...unless you're my next-door neighbor. Wink

73,  Bob K7JQ

Bob,  many towns have zoning regulations that address those issues. No need for a HOA to enforce laws concerning unregistered vehicles
or overrun properties.

Pete
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2017, 02:34:20 PM »

Beauty or pride is in the eye of the beholder. In my life there have been dumps that look cool and pristine landscaped properties that have looked terrible. It is simply a matter of opinion which may or may not agree with the owner.

Absolutely! But I'll ask you a variation of the same question: if you were looking to buy a house, and the next-door neighbor's house (25 or less feet away) was a "general concensus opinion" dump from the curbside, would you (or the wife/significant other, if that applies) have some reservations? Maybe not...it might be one that you think is cool Grin. But that's OK with me. You're the one that has to live there. Not arguing, just my opinion. Personally, I'll take the pristine landscape over the dump Wink.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2017, 03:06:59 PM »

Bob,  many towns have zoning regulations that address those issues. No need for a HOA to enforce laws concerning unregistered vehicles
or overrun properties.

Pete

No argument there, Pete. So, can we compare CC&R's to zoning regulations, and the HOA (as the enforcer) to municipal authority/police? I might be wrong, but maybe an HOA, dealing strictly to the subdivision, would remedy those eyesore violations a lot quicker than the red tape involved in dealing with municipal governments? And besides enforcing such violations, HOA's maintain the community's common areas and other recreational amenities. Municipalities won't address peeling, totally faded paint and other rundown exterior house eyesores that affect the community.

Please understand, I don't like antenna restrictions either. I support a properly worded ARPA. But the other CC&R's, when applied logically, really aren't that bad. All I'm saying is that a properly run, efficient HOA isn't the evil dark side that many believe they are.

73,  Bob K7JQ
WB2KSP

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2017, 05:09:11 PM »

In my opinion the proper way around the antenna restrictions is for the feds to issue and exclusion on any mention of ham antennas with a CC&R.
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2017, 03:03:31 PM »

South Texas is not the world.

Watch you language.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 05:47:37 AM »

I predict Tango Radio One Unbelievably Magnificent President (TR1UMP) will abolish all HOA's and CCR's and require a mandatory 200 foot tower with stacked yagis for all licensees !  It's going to be HUGE !!  Making ham radio great again !!
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-04-27/news/0704250422_1_donald-trump-american-flag-flagpole
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 06:24:44 AM »

Non sequitur... the link refers to flags, not antennas, and not in a HOA.  Huh
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: