The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Injector noise on Ram Diesel  (Read 3293 times)
W6ZKH

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »

Am wondering if anyone has the cure for injector noise on a Ram Diesel. It isnt great, but can tell when it is.  When idling or advancing throttle, the noise is heard, but when I back off throttle it goes away until it reaches idle RPM, then comes back.  Wonder if a snap-on choke of some kind would work over the wiring? The noise only makes about an S-1 or so, again not that objectable and can live with it, but would like for it to go away also.  Any info would be appreciated.  BTW, body is bounded in several locations including bed, cab and hood.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 06:46:49 PM »

Lets put it this way, I don't know if a snap on ferrite will fix it or not, but I don't see how it would hurt to try.
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 08:34:03 AM »

Have you tried bonding the exhaust to the body and running a braid strap from the cylinder head to the body?
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 08:42:25 AM »

The first course of action is to determine whether the noise is a conducted emission or radiated emission. to eliminate the conducted ,connect the radio to a separate battery and antenna (a piece of wire , a meter lead banana should plug into the so239 ) . Does the noise persist ? then it is radiated (not coming thru ground or pwr loop) . 

To deal with radiated , again connect the radio to a separate battery , and connect a a coaxial cable with a small loop (center connected to the braid ( i usually use a scope probe shorted) . Pass the loop over the wires till you find the noise source. Then attach the ferrites.
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 07:16:37 PM »

The bosch piezo injectors are extremely noisy. A high noise blanker is Bout the best you can do. I have a 2006 2500.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »

If the injectors are switched on/off on the ground side, you may try a (.5 mfd?) filter capacitor on the voltage supply side. This should help reduce the 'click' induced in the wiring harness.

Many vehicles have the hood hinges isolated from the body by nylon bushings. A hood panel-to-firewall ground strap should be there to help the hood absorb the radiated RF from injector inductance spikes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: