The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160 Meter Noise - Video  (Read 2855 times)
N3HEE

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2017, 11:20:56 AM »

Still tracking down this noise.  Anyone recognize the signature or source ?  Very unique looking on the band scope.  Thanks  -Joe N3HEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isy4OK8mzoc

1. It is NOT coming from my house.
2. It is NOT dependent upon weather.
3. It is NOT dependent upon time of day. Very random in nature.
4. It is ONLY on 160 meter band.
5. It is VERY wide. (200KHZ)
6. It moves around the band.  Some days low in the band some days high in the band.
7. I have walked the hood with a portable radio.  Nothing found.  However, it is close to my QTH.
8. Time to go knocking on doors ?

Ideas so far...

1. VDSL Leakage ?
2. Grow light ballast ?
3. Switch mode power supply ?

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:52:38 AM »

I wish I could help.  But I have never seen anything roll off like that at the upper end.  It sounds like a fluorescent light, but that roll off bothers me.
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 03:41:20 AM »

I think I would rule out VDSL, that is usually pretty stable, not only that you can always tell by looking at the guard bands between each upload/download band edges where the noise drops. I'm not sure of the US VDSL structure on what the guard bands are because I only know the UK ones.

It could be SMPSU they can be very loud, I've got a noisy one in my Sony TV that I can hear worst on 20M for some reason, and that wanders around a bit, but only when the TV is on, so I know it's the TV.

G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 04:13:46 AM »

I meant to add, you say you don't get it on any other band apart from 160M, but have you listened lower in frequency? What I'm thinking is it could be a harmonic of the original, so you might find in the medium wave somewhere. If you do it might be easy to DF it with a little loop antenna in a BC radio.

N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 04:42:43 AM »

It is not present at lower frequencies.  The noise has not been present for the past two days now.  However up until the past two days it has been there every day for a week.  Very random ?

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 09:01:51 AM »

Now I've had a chance to listen to the noise properly, it sounds like an FM modulated carrier at 120Hz, that might account for the sharp edges, have you tried listening on WBFM?

When you say it's not on lower frequencies, how much lower did you check? Because it might be something around 370KHz which is producing something on the 5th harmonic.

If as you say, it's 200KHz wide then you might be able to hear it on the top end of medium wave with a portable radio, enough to be able to get a bearing on which direction to search in.

It's a horrible noise and I bet it appears at the most inopportune moment as well, I hope you manage to track it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: