The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ladies lost at sea for 5 months  (Read 5549 times)
KU4UV

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:20:52 AM »

ABC news had a story last night about the two women lost at sea for 5 months.  Similar to the Robert Redford film that came out a few years ago about the man that was lost at sea.  I'm wondering, did they have the required emergency gear on board, such as flares, epirb, VHF/HF comms, etc?  Five months at sea without ever seeing another boat or plane seems like a long time.

KU4UV
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 08:58:46 AM »

Those two old crows were probably lost for about five minutes.

Women and boats don't mix.

Kraus
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 09:26:10 AM »

In general, U.S. commercial fishing vessels, uninspected passenger vessels that carry six or more people and uninspected commercial vessels are the only vessels legally required to carry an EPIRB. Regardless of the requirements, if you operate a vessel, an emergency beacon could be just as instrumental as wearing a life jacket in saving your life

Their phone washed overboard and they were never within VHF radio range of help according to various stories I read.  
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »

Kraus
Kraus,
You game me a good laugh today with this one!

Thanks!
73 de N8AUC
Eric
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 10:55:28 AM »

They took a year's worth of food. What's up with that?

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 12:32:46 PM »

They took a year's worth of food. What's up with that?

In case they got lost for 5 months or more (up to a year).
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 12:39:49 PM »

Kraus

That's a pretty shitty attitude...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:42:19 PM by K6CPO » Logged
KG7LEA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »

We won't get answers until they reach a port. Getting lost is incomprehensible if they pretended to be mariners.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 02:27:13 PM »

Sounds like the usual string of bad events--unseasonably bad weather, losing the engine, and then suffering mechanical damage to the sail.  They would have been OK had just two occured, but the combination of all three set them adrift.  

As for sailing without a $400 EPIRB, pre-historic people sailed the Pacific and populated the habitable islands. It could also be that the batteries of the EPIRB ran down when they lost the engine, but this is just wild speculation.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:47:29 PM by W1VT » Logged
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 03:37:25 PM »

I read at least three different articles about these female mariners.  One of the articles said in addition to a cellphone (that was lost early on) they had a VHF radio, a ham radio, shortwave receiver, and Sat phone.  (their names are known, wonder if either of them has a ham license?)

Of course the VHF radio would only work line-of-sight, so someone would have to be near them.  Seemed there was also an issue w/ their (ham?) antenna setup.  It's quite possible they lost the ability to recharge the Sat phone battery...

I read that the one gal was handy at fixing (mechanical) things, maybe repairing the electronics was not possible.

My thinking is they had a years worth of food, so why not keep sailing.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 05:26:07 PM »

In general, U.S. commercial fishing vessels, uninspected passenger vessels that carry six or more people and uninspected commercial vessels are the only vessels legally required to carry an EPIRB. Regardless of the requirements, if you operate a vessel, an emergency beacon could be just as instrumental as wearing a life jacket in saving your life

Their phone washed overboard and they were never within VHF radio range of help according to various stories I read.  
Here's the Navy's official version. http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=103056

Perhaps this was some sort of mutual ending with a change of heart as apparently no one reported them missing.  EPIRBs are all over West Marine's displays, so no excuse for not having one.  And EPIRB batteries last a long, long time when not in use.  Only a VHF marine radio?  At least they had a small RO pump to make fresh water with.  A year's worth of rice, pasta and oatmeal?  That wouldn't be good enough for two dogs, let alone human consumption.  I guess they had enough fuel to boil water with.  Nutso.  The woman in the photo sure doesn't look famished to me..... Like she'd been eating only rice and pasta for 5 months.

NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 09:42:33 AM »

. . . That wouldn't be good enough for two dogs, let alone human consumption.  . . .   The woman in the photo sure doesn't look famished to me..... Like she'd been eating only rice and pasta for 5 months.

Hmm ... how many dogs did they start out with ?

[Yeah, I know. That's in very poor taste ...]
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 12:02:31 PM »

If one is hungry enough, dog can taste good.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 12:21:49 PM »

EPIRBs automatically turn on when wet.  But, the 406 MHz may be blocked by the hull, so the batteries can run down without the signal being heard.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »

Just wait until someone in Hollywood buys the rights to this story.  Those ladies will be set for life and they will be able to afford a better boat.
Art
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: