The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What contest logging sw should I run?  (Read 3630 times)
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 10:53:02 AM »

Actually I have the greatest logging system in the world.

NONE!

Not one entry is ever lost.

Kraus
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 10:55:34 AM »

I regularly visit the homes of several area hams where they did keep all their contest logs (prior to computers) on paper (for example, stacks and stacks of the good old ARRL logbooks) and they still have the logs today. Filling entire cupboards. It's neat to see.
Yeah, I've still got 23 ARRL log books for my pre-1999 activities in a file drawer.  I'll probably never throw them away, because I'll probably never finish transcribing all the QSO's to digital format.  (First I need to get a "round tuit.")
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 10:59:38 AM »

you can't be intimidated by pencil and paper

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »

Actually I have the greatest logging system in the world.

NONE!

Not one entry is ever lost.

Kraus
Wasn't there a time when it was required to keep a log? I seem to recall reading somewhere that when you submitted your form 610, you were required to show a certain minimum number of contacts, or at least operating hours in your log.
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 10:04:09 AM »

Kraus,

That certainly was the case back in the olden days. The logbook had to be kept up to date just in case an FCC inspector dropped by and asked to see it. I've never heard of that happening and doubt it ever would now.

At any rate, others who suggested N1MM are correct. It's a good program. I prefer N3FJP, both the regular ACLog and the multitude of contest logs specifically designed and regularly updated for each event. They all work seamlessly, allowing quickly producing and uploading your Cabrillo log, putting all contacts into your regular logging program, and uploading to Logbook of the World.  I think it took me ten minutes to do the whole operation Sunday night after CQWW, and that included re-reading instructions and watching Scott's helpful video since I had not used the CQWW program before.

The cost? You get any and all of the N3FJP software for about the cost of a nice night out at Red Lobster for you and the XYL.  Which might not be a bad idea now that the contest bug has bitten you!

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 07:50:28 AM »

Kraus,

That certainly was the case back in the olden days. The logbook had to be kept up to date just in case an FCC inspector dropped by and asked to see it. I've never heard of that happening and doubt it ever would now.

At any rate, others who suggested N1MM are correct. It's a good program. I prefer N3FJP, both the regular ACLog and the multitude of contest logs specifically designed and regularly updated for each event. They all work seamlessly, allowing quickly producing and uploading your Cabrillo log, putting all contacts into your regular logging program, and uploading to Logbook of the World.  I think it took me ten minutes to do the whole operation Sunday night after CQWW, and that included re-reading instructions and watching Scott's helpful video since I had not used the CQWW program before.

The cost? You get any and all of the N3FJP software for about the cost of a nice night out at Red Lobster for you and the XYL.  Which might not be a bad idea now that the contest bug has bitten you!

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

I have to agree that the N3FJP software has a nice look and feel. Not cluttered like some of the others. I think his pricing is fair; you don't have to pay for what you will never use.
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 09:47:46 AM »

I guess if I do decide to go with the N3FJP log, I will buy the full package. Makes sense, since the base + 3 contests would cost the same
KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 10:05:11 AM »

I guess if I do decide to go with the N3FJP log, I will buy the full package. Makes sense, since the base + 3 contests would cost the same

Become a member of their user group so that you will know when updates to the suite are available...lifetime free updates. Also, if a you buy the complete package any new contest log that might develop is also free.

Glenn KE4KY - Ham since 1975
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 04:12:35 PM »

Become a member of their user group so that you will know when updates to the suite are available...lifetime free updates. Also, if a you buy the complete package any new contest log that might develop is also free.
Is the N3FJP user group on Yahoo? I have been thinking of joining the Yaesu FT-450D user group at Yahoo, but need to create a new user account there.

I think I will wait until I get my rig connected with CAT and start using the features that the various logging software offer before I make any decisions on which one I will use. That said, I do like the N3FJP's uncluttered interface. Large type also helps - my eyes aren't 20 years old anymore..hi.
If I could get a demo of N3FJP CQWW CW contest logger, I could try it out in a few weeks.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: