The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-60 discontinued?  (Read 12665 times)
F4GFT

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2017, 08:51:13 AM »

I noticed that the FT-60 is no longer available from WIMO, and a number of amazon sellers don't list it either. However, it is still marketed at the Yaesu website. I wonder if the FT-60 is about to be discontinued and replaced by the FT-65. Anyone here in the knowing?

Andy F4GFT
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:56:07 AM »

I hope not, the FT-60 is one of the best handhelds out there.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 01:31:18 PM »

I was told by HRO that the FT-60R is going to be discontinued in favor of the FT-65R, but I haven't seen any evidence of it yet.
KB1QYH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 01:20:32 PM »

I just ordered two more! Best HT ever.
AC2KV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 09:21:32 AM »

I might have to order an FT-60 as a spare too. The FT-65 has limited receive capability - no aircraft band too.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 11:02:18 AM »

FT-60 was my first HT. There's really not much of a selection, of quality, dual-band analog HTs left.

Kenwood doesn't have a dual band under $200, FT-65 suspiciously has the specs of a China radio.

Only option (for myself) is the Icom IC-t70a.
K6NIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 03:18:37 AM »

I though the FT70DR was supposed to replace the Ft60 eventually. But I have no use for fusion in my area and lack of the dials on the FT60 is a huge minus. You even need two hands to just change the volume.

I already have three of the FT60R but if the writing is on the wall that it's going out of production I will for sure get at least two more and the batteries to go with it.
KD9KSO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 06:52:16 AM »

A buddy of mine just bought one from HRO. He likes it and it wasn't a fortune.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 05:22:11 AM »

I picked up a second one last fall and just got a couple extra batteries. Also got a couple AA battery cases as well. Might have to grab a third. Love mine.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 06:08:11 AM »

I picked up a second one last fall and just got a couple extra batteries. Also got a couple AA battery cases as well. Might have to grab a third. Love mine.

Given that batteries degrade with time and batteries are available in after market for many years after rigs are discontinued I would not get extra batteries now but rather get fresh batteries a few years later.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 07:27:45 AM »

Given that batteries degrade with time and batteries are available in after market for many years after rigs are discontinued I would not get extra batteries now but rather get fresh batteries a few years later.

It's handy to have a spare battery in my bag in case I am not near a place to charge it back up. I did have to replace my original one due to age. I run a small aprs solution using a Mobilinkd and an android phone when working public service type things. It'll run most of the day on a single battery, but it's nice to have a spare.

K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 11:28:33 AM »

I noticed that the FT-60 is no longer available from WIMO, and a number of amazon sellers don't list it either. However, it is still marketed at the Yaesu website. I wonder if the FT-60 is about to be discontinued and replaced by the FT-65. Anyone here in the knowing?

Andy F4GFT

It's listed in the latest HRO catalog (Spring-Summer 2018.)
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 10:03:47 PM »

The FT-60R is quite superior to the FT-65 in many aspects. A quick comparison ...

The FT-60R debuted at Dayton in 2004. It was a great bargain then - and remains so today. Among its features ...

-1,000 memories (FT-65 about 800 LESS memories)

-receives (essentially) 108mHz to a gig (FT-65R - no such wide receive ... FM broadcast band RX, though)

-large, legible display

-easy to manually program (one-page cheat sheet for the FT-60R at k6lcs.com)

-bulletproof case design*

-strongest belt clip of any ham HT chassis on the market

-great receive audio

... as well as a unique battery setup: You can use the optional FBA-25 AA case
with either NiMH cells or alkalines, and have full TX power available! (No AA case
yet mentioned for the '65)

The FT-65 ships with a Li-Ion battery pack. I am not sure why hams love Li-on.
First, you are guaranteed far FEWER discharge-charge cycles wsigh Li-Ion as
compared to NiMH.

Li-Ion DOES perform better in really cold weather. Few of us live in Alaska to take advantage
of this, though.

Li-Ion DOES hold its charge longer than NiMH. But I do not buy radios to charge 'em up and
NOT use them for six months.

Li-Ion packs generally weigh a little less. So don't super-size the fries next time ... (grin)

With either battery chemistry, I regularly turn DOWN my TX power to 2-2.5W, and improve the
antenna with a Smiley 270A. If you are not making it with 2W line of sight and a better antenna,
you're probably not going to make it with 4-5W.

Yes, the FT-65R is about $30 less than the FT-60R. But as long as they are available, I will still
recommend the '60 over the '65.

Clint K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com

*- OK, the FT-60R isn’t truly “bulletproof.” But several of my audiences have
seen me toss one across the stage - literally - during my presentations to show
that they stand up to a little abuse ... Do not try that at home, though. Send
email or call (909) 999-SATS with any questions!

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.spaceman.website
909-999-SATS
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 04:16:32 AM »

FT-60 is a old radio design. It has a lot of bang for buck but it is in sunset of its career.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 10:20:33 PM »

Point my me to a more
Solid 2m/440 FM voice performer ...

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.spaceman.website
909-999-SATS
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: