The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The NEW NOVICE License  (Read 4690 times)
KN6SD

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2017, 10:34:34 AM »

The New Novice will be an open book test made up of 25 questions. You need to answer all 25 questions correctly to pass. The Novice exam must be completed in less than 45 minutes. The Novice is NON-Renewable, and is only valid for 2 years... Novices will have voice/cw/data privileges on 80, 40, 15, 10, 6, and 2 meters (same band segments as the General Class) with a power limitation of 200 watts.

Existing/New Technician Class Amateurs will have new HF privileges that will include voice/cw/data on 80, 40, 15, and 10 meters (same band segments as the General Class) with a power limitation of 200 watts.

Anyone have any thoughts about the new NOVICE???
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:49:06 AM by KN6SD » Logged
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »

How about adding an 5 wpm Morse Code Requirement...and make it digital/CW only in the current general bands with a 100 watt limit...I didn't see a link, so I assume this is your proposal/suggestion. OK with me, but I think others would disagree.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KN6SD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 10:52:14 AM »

How about adding an 5 wpm Morse Code Requirement...and make it digital/CW only in the current general bands with a 100 watt limit...I didn't see a link, so I assume this is your proposal/suggestion. OK with me, but I think others would disagree.

I did make a change to the exam time limit to 45 minutes, in other words the applicant needs to be familiar with the material before taking the exam... But I think giving them voice is a strong incentive to upgrade to Tech before the license expires...
KN6SD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 11:18:57 AM »

I did make a change to the exam time limit to 45 minutes, in other words the applicant needs to be familiar with the material before taking the exam... But I think giving them voice is a strong incentive to upgrade to Tech before the license expires...

The more I think about it, 30 minutes should be more than enough time to complete the exam and check your answers with the book.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 01:03:50 PM »

Nice idea, but I'd modify it a bit.

The New Novice will be an open book test made up of 25 questions. You need to answer all 25 questions correctly to pass. The Novice exam must be completed in less than 45 minutes.

I'd make it closed-book, but passing would require 20 correct answers.

The Novice is NON-Renewable, and is only valid for 2 years...

Two years, or maybe 5, but no more.  Should be non-renewable though, as you said.

Novices will have voice/cw/data privileges on 80, 40, 15, 10, 6, and 2 meters (same band segments as the General Class) with a power limitation of 200 watts.

No phone for novices on 75, 40, or 15, and only SSB on 28.3-28.5 MHz as it is now.  No privileges on 6 and 2.  Keep the 222 and 1270 MHz Novice privileges as-is.  Limit HF power output to 50 watts PEP. 

Existing/New Technician Class Amateurs will have new HF privileges that will include voice/cw/data on 80, 40, 15, and 10 meters (same band segments as the General Class) with a power limitation of 200 watts.

Add data privileges for Techs, but no phone on 75, 40, or 15.  Expand 10 meter phone privileges to include the entire band above 28.3 MHz, with all modes allowed (AM/FM/SSB/SSTV, etc).

Anyone have any thoughts about the new NOVICE???

Differentiate the call letters as well:  Group D calls starting with W, in the same block as the current Ks for Techs and Generals being assigned.  For example, if the FCC is assigning KJ7 calls in the 7th District, a new Novice would be assigned WJ7ABC, changing to KJ7ABC upon upgrading to Tech or General.  No vanity calls allowed.

Also, since they're not really compatible, I suggest that the lower 50 kHz of the 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meter bands be CW only, with digital modes allowed above xx.050 MHz.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »

What would be the reason for changing requirements to the NEW NOVICE?   
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 04:19:39 AM »

... edit...not giving them voice is a strong incentive to upgrade  before the license expires...

There, I fixed it for ya.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 11:48:39 AM »

Really...

I can see no reason to change things from the way they are now.
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 02:32:30 PM »

Really...

I can see no reason to change things from the way they are now.

My thought also.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »

What would this really accomplish?  Seriously what problem would it solve?

People keep writing posts about adding CW back in as a requirement. That horse left the barn and I would bet it's never getting back in. Newer HAMs didn't choose the rules in place at the time they entered the hobby and took the test(s).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:52:08 PM by K5UNX » Logged

K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 04:18:22 PM »

A real slap in the face to the remaining holders of the former Novice license.

They are almost giving away ham licenses now.  90% of the new hams lose interest and don't even renew. 
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 04:24:30 PM »

The restructuring was 17 years ago. 

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 05:16:29 AM »

I don't see the FCC ever going back to require Morse Code testing as much as some of us would like them to. They wouldn't do it  even if we had to pay extra for it (and even then it would have to be voluntary).

The ARRL gives awards for Morse Code proficiency for a fee for copying W1AW qualifying runs.
http://www.arrl.org/code-proficiency-certificate

But for those who actually miss sitting down in front of an examiner, there might be another way. Perhaps some established VEC testing organization like the ARRL and W5YI could conduct optional Morse Code testing for an extra fee. It might provide the VEC's with some extra cash flow too.

Of course the Morse Code examinations would not result in additional privileges, although it would provide hams with satisfaction that they passed the test in front of an examiner. Perhaps a real fancy looking certificate could be issued to those who passed the test. The certificate could look like one of those FCC certificates that the FCC used to issue.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 08:07:33 AM »

People don't have the patience to wait for 10M to get hot again, so they can get on 10M voice and data and find the band wide open for DXing when they come home from work.

ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »

I don't see the FCC ever going back to require Morse Code testing as much as some of us would like them to. They wouldn't do it  even if we had to pay extra for it (and even then it would have to be voluntary).

The ARRL gives awards for Morse Code proficiency for a fee for copying W1AW qualifying runs.
http://www.arrl.org/code-proficiency-certificate

But for those who actually miss sitting down in front of an examiner, there might be another way. Perhaps some established VEC testing organization like the ARRL and W5YI could conduct optional Morse Code testing for an extra fee. It might provide the VEC's with some extra cash flow too.

Of course the Morse Code examinations would not result in additional privileges, although it would provide hams with satisfaction that they passed the test in front of an examiner. Perhaps a real fancy looking certificate could be issued to those who passed the test. The certificate could look like one of those FCC certificates that the FCC used to issue.

this idea is right up there with issuing a certificate for typing @ 25 wpm Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: