The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adaptive Morse Code Training Software?  (Read 1156 times)
N4SRN

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:27:27 AM »

Hi All,

I finished CWA-1 and have all the letters/numbers, but am still working to overcome the damage from bad learning since a Boy Scout in the 60s. Head-copy 20wpm+ is my goal.

Even at 20wpm I still try to translate sound to dits-dahs to characters for some characters. Some like e, i, s, h, t, m, o, 5, a, c, f, l, n, v I go from sound to character directly and I'm drilling on the others using RufzXP (Win), QRQ (Win), Morse-It (IOS) and SCPhillips Morse Code Trainer (web) as well as listening to RX. I do 2 letter and 3 letter combinations, most common digraphs, trigraphs, 2/3-letter words, most common 2/3 letter in English and so on.

I'm thinking an adaptive app that emphasizes the stuff I miss more often might be useful. Is there any such adaptive app for Win/IOS?

Thanks!

Bret/N4SRN

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
AE8RS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:40:39 AM »

I'll be interested to see what others chime in with here as well. I'm currently using this (http://c2.com/morse/) which is adaptive, but was written a long time ago and is missing some features I'd like (customization, saving state, etc.) but it is the best software with feedback I've seen yet. If you miss a letter, it does increase the frequency of that letter. The only note is that it was originally written in assembler, probably with really simple loops, so it is a CPU hog. It's not going to be a problem on a modern PC but I notice my fans kick on while I'm using it.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 09:07:28 AM »

OR, you could simply continue on the way and let time and practice (use) take care of the problem.

Quite often we have a tendency to overthink simple problems and waste time.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 07:03:21 PM »

Hi Bret,

I think Morse Machine may be what you are after. After registering at LCWO.net you log in go to Morse Machine, set the speed, and it will give you those letters you get wrong...

Not sure you can set this up right though since you essentially know all the characters. But take a look at the various LCWO.net options, it is not an app, but works directly in your PC from the web site.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 04:49:26 AM »

The c2 or G4ILOs version is much better that the one on lcwo.

http://www.g4ilo.com/morse-machine.html
N4SRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 02:17:10 PM »

The c2 or G4ILOs version is much better that the one on lcwo.

http://www.g4ilo.com/morse-machine.html

G4ILO's Morse Machine seem to work very nicely for me on my first try. Looking at the green bars, I see the letters that DO confuse me are lagging, so it's truly adaptive.

I'll keep with that on letter, then numbers, then mix them. Then back to digraph, trigraphs, onwards and upwards!

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 02:53:33 AM »

Cool.

G4ILOs morse machine saved me from yet another "I give up" and got me through the letters, numbers and punctuation in a few months only practicing 10-15 minutes per day.
LA4VSA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 03:52:15 AM »

The later version is an updated version of the original adaptive/machine learning algorithm from Ward C.

They both work great, with the original also working on the web or Mac.

Good learning!

obi
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 08:37:45 AM »

Yes, there is a very good app for this.  It's called Activity Promotes Proficiency!  (APP) Turn on your radio and tune to a clear frequency. Call CQ. Have a simple QSO.  Repeat every day.  Within a month you will not have a problem with character recognition.  Way too much time is wasted on finding ways to solve this simple problem outside of getting on the air.  Why is that ?

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 09:05:12 AM »

Why is that ?

A strong cultural bias against human beings and their cognitive potential. This bias reflects a
profound ignorance of Enlightenment values and of history and philosophy. To be expected with
the demise of what used to be known as "liberal education."
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »

Activity Promotes Proficiency!  (APP)
A strong cultural bias against human beings and their cognitive potential.
Amen from all the E's Grin

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 12:51:14 PM »

Way too much time is wasted on finding ways to solve this simple problem outside of getting on the air.  Why is that ?

Too many very bad QSOs: OPs not QRS'ing, few OPs below 20+ WPM, DCW ops, bad fists jamming it all together, too much 5NN TU 73.
Result less than 90% duplicated and a loss at it instead of just a small win.

If you just knew how many times I turn on the radio wanting to do a few CW QSO but ending up doing none. Nah not today.
AE8RS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 01:23:06 PM »

I'll speak up on behalf of those who want the adaptive CW programs. I'm nervous about sounding stupid on the radio. I had the same problem the first time I powered my radio up and called CQ on SSB. If practice programs are what make new ops comfortable getting on the air and that's what gets them to stay on the air, then more power to them! It may also be a controlled way to get over specific speed humps. You're certainly right that getting on the air and putting it in practice is almost certainly best, but if I have 20 minutes to put a little practice in while I'm sitting on the couch with my wife at the end of the night, then there is no harm in that either.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 01:49:15 PM »

I'm nervous about sounding stupid on the radio.

I have 20 minutes to put a little practice in while I'm sitting on the couch with my wife at the end of the night, then there is no harm in that either.

To be nervous is entirely human. It happens to all humans and is an essential key to personal growth. Initial anxiety evolves into productive arousal which is critical for enjoyment of activities and for learning. For 'bots and learning machines matters may be quite otherwise. I am as yet unaware of the experience of pleasure among 'bots and learning machines.

You obviously have a busy life. One alternative for living well is to make decisions about what things are important and to focus on them, enjoy them and let other things go.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:51:18 PM by KE6EE » Logged
N4SRN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 03:33:14 PM »

OP here. Morse Machine on Windows and Android are doing well for me. I’ve diagnosed my issues with P, L, D, W, X, Z and have largely licked the rest. Now, I just respond to what I hear and am surprised I’m hearing the right letters very often without forming a mental image of dits and dahs. When I don’t, I do it wrong once, twice, thrice and then realize my error. More practice!

At the beginning of this long journey, it’s encouraging to feel you are making progress. Another step.

Bret/N4SRN

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: