The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "NEW" Contest Killer  (Read 6495 times)
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 06:27:59 AM »

Thanks, those are exactly what I was thinking of, they're not generally heard nor popular down here these days, as we're very isolated, but I have come across them late at night on 40m. Those are the sorts of contest that those who are not QRQ can participate in and have good fun, before perhaps moving up to faster bigger contests later once they have built up speed.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2017, 07:57:50 AM »

Thanks, those are exactly what I was thinking of, they're not generally heard nor popular down here these days, as we're very isolated, but I have come across them late at night on 40m. Those are the sorts of contest that those who are not QRQ can participate in and have good fun, before perhaps moving up to faster bigger contests later once they have built up speed.

Yeah, most of these US straight key events tend to concentrate activity during US evenings on the low bands. If not because of the official hours, then just out of tradition.

While Straight Key Night has the word "night" in the title, I'm sure that the morning of Jan 1 (your evening) that US stations will be on 40M with straight keys and the path to VK is very good then.

With you in VK5, do you get much long path to USA in your morning on 40M? For VK6's this is a slam dunk path but if you are in the eastern part of VK5 might not be so easy but still can happen.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2017, 08:32:41 AM »

Like dandelions, this type of thread pops up every year. ...

Thanks for the link; it made my day.

Mike N2MG
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2017, 03:53:21 PM »

With you in VK5, do you get much long path to USA in your morning on 40M?
Probably, yes, but the problem is I'm usually asleep in the early morning  Grin

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
4K6FO

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2017, 08:12:23 AM »

Smiley
I've operated every new digital mode that has come along, I still keep coming back to CW contesting. There is still skill involved in operating CW, as evidenced by the fact that skilled ops dominate the top ten. DX CW contest participation, especially the WPX events, have continue to grow over the past decade - the sunspot minimum will impact that.

RTTY contesting has seen strong growth in the past few years - very little skill involved in copying RTTY, as the software does that. Yet, a similar group of skilled operators dominate the RTTY top ten.

Same will happen in contests (like VHF test today) where FT8 will be used. Skilled operators will come closer to or reach 30 QSOs per hour or whatever the real fastest possible QSO rate while others will not get close to that. But, if the fast mode of FT8 gets some new blood interest in seeing how the can push their own limits, all the better.

Every technological advance (memory keyers, computer logging, packet spotting, etc) has caused the water level to rise, but the captains who build the fastest boats and plot the best course still tend to be at the front of the pack!

73 John K3TN
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2017, 10:40:22 AM »

Let see, I can get a zillion dollars, build a contest station that makes K3LR look like 20 watts and a wire and win everything.   That makes me a "real" operator?  How sad for you.

I'm not sure you ever spent much time listening to K3LR - especially the phone operators. They are remarkably supreme operators.

True statement. Tim doesn't let just anybody play with his radios.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: