The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6500 vs. 6600  (Read 2652 times)
W6UV

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2017, 04:48:14 PM »

Other than having a different form factor so that the equivalent of a Maestro can form the front panel of the 6600M model, I really don't see any difference in the specifications between the 6500 and the 6600.

Are the 6500 and 6600 (not the M model) the same thing internally?
NI8R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 05:14:21 PM »

I think one is over rated and the other is over rated with a fancy user interface.

I bet the 6500 is made with better parts, The 6600m probably has more cool words in the description which function as a pre-amp on the high bands.
The newest software on the "m" will have a Feng shui meter to tell you what direction the wind is blowing and the water is flowing. Standard on all models w/parts made in china.

Now, i think i should get into marketing. i am about to sell some unicorn flex rigs Grin Grin Grin

Greg NI8R
KC9NRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 07:15:51 AM »

Very difficult to go to the Flex website to see how they differ isn't it...  Roll Eyes

FlexRadio 6300 Maestro Combo
Yaesu MP1000 Mark V
Icom 746Pro
SDRPlay
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 09:12:26 AM »

Very difficult to go to the Flex website to see how they differ isn't it...  Roll Eyes

I see this forum is as helpful as ever.

I was referring to the internals, which are not well documented on the Flex site... The specifications are nearly identical, which make me wonder if it's really the same internals as the 6500 just in a different form factor to accommodate the front panel in the "M" version.

Speaking of the "M" version, I wonder if it uses the same Dell tablet as the Maestro does?
W1BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 11:33:53 AM »

My understanding of the major differences between the previous 63/6500 series and the new 64/6600 series was a newer, faster and less expensive FPGA resulting in an across the board price reduction in the new models. Also an RMDR spec matching that of their flagship 6700 within both new models.  The new "M" series are of course targeted to that market segment who insist on having knobs while at the same time cutting the previously mandatory umbilical cord between their rig and a legacy PC.  Of course the "M" series still uses the Windows "Tablet" OS, but at least it's a standalone unit which users have been asking for and will likely be a strong competitor for the new Icom 7610. Although we still don't have a final price for the 7610, the 6400M will very likely be in the same ballpark ($3300 incl the optional ATU).  Kudos to Flex for giving us both VFO knobs and user-programmable front panel buttons. Additional kudos for that gorgeous 1980 x 1200 display and HDMI output.
73 - Bill
 W1BG
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:46:35 AM by W1BG » Logged

The Pay-TV Industry may not hold the patent on poor customer service, but Comcast in particular has made an art form of it.
SV1JSO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »

The 6600 has 2 capturing units while the 6500 has only one. Of course the diversity with beam steering will be implemented in the far future after they 'll fix the noise blanker and the 4 bit auto notch!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:35:36 PM by SV1JSO » Logged
KC9NRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »

I see this forum is as helpful as ever.

I was referring to the internals, which are not well documented on the Flex site... The specifications are nearly identical, which make me wonder if it's really the same internals as the 6500 just in a different form factor to accommodate the front panel in the "M" version.

Speaking of the "M" version, I wonder if it uses the same Dell tablet as the Maestro does?

Well, you get what you give, you asked a generic question to which I generically answered.  Wink

Yaesu MP1000 Mark V
Icom 746Pro
SDRPlay
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 10:56:36 PM »

Other than having a different form factor so that the equivalent of a Maestro can form the front panel of the 6600M model, I really don't see any difference in the specifications between the 6500 and the 6600.

Are the 6500 and 6600 (not the M model) the same thing internally?

No, they are quite different.

The 6500 has multiple receivers but they all share a single front end and antenna switch internally, so you can
not due diversity reception, and simultaneous use of two antenna.

The 6600 has added a second front end and antenna routing switch internally, so that the multiple receivers
CAN DO diversity reception and use two different antenna on two different receive channels at once.

Neal
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 09:52:56 AM »

6500 vs 6600:
Two SCUs (ADC units)
7th order contest band preselectors (all other radios except the 6300 have 3rd order filters)

6700/6500 vs 6600/6400:
Modular design, meaning you can plug in boards later for added options
No MARS support by default. It's an extra add-on.
M models available with control console based on Maestro, and HDMI output
Mic connector is different (1/4" TRS vs Foster and XLR, 1/8" in 6400)
CW key is 1/8"
New, different, cheaper, faster FPGA (as mentioned) and other parts. As a result the 6600/6400 will only run SmartSDR 2.0 and higher.
Pre-amp differences. 6700 is capable of +40dB. The 6600/6400 is capable of +30dB (have to double check)
Performance will be in-line with the 6700. Maybe even a bit better, but that remains to be seen.
2 XVTR ports instead of just one
No 2m using 2nd nyquist, no 4m (6700 has both 2m and 4m, 6500 has up to 4m)
Larger size
Different cooling arrangement (quieter)

6400 vs 6500:
122.88 vs 245.76 Msps sample rate with the 6500 actually being better.
This also means 7MHz vs 14MHz panadapter bandwidth.

That's all that I remember from when these were unveiled.

The 6400 really is an upgrade to the 6300. The 6600 is basically for people who want two SCUs like the 6700 but don't want to spend the money and can live without 2m/4m and 8 slices.
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »

The newest software on the "m" will have a Feng shui meter to tell you what direction the wind is blowing and the water is flowing. Standard on all models w/parts made in china.

Wow a bit racist eh? Seemingly unaware that Apple's products are made in China. If they were made in the USA they'd be falling to bits.
NI8R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 05:47:37 PM »

Wow a bit racist eh? Seemingly unaware that Apple's products are made in China. If they were made in the USA they'd be falling to bits.

I think you need some hemorrhoid cream if that is racist remark to you. Dont use too much, You might disappear.  I guess now i am insulting A$$h*les too. Toughen up that sensitive personality a bit and you can visit the states where apple products are Bogo. Hard to pay full price for something that sounds like a "flex radio on the air".

Ni8r
KC9NRN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »

Apple used to be made in the USA, back when they were built like tanks, not like pretty expensive crap made in China as they are today. As somebody who has worked on them when they were built here and since they have been built in China by people who at times leap to their death due to working conditions I can speak to their "quality". If I have offended you because you love your overly expensive pretty aluminum hot running nearly impossible to work on (unless you bought the tools) iMac get over it.

Yaesu MP1000 Mark V
Icom 746Pro
SDRPlay
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 05:32:39 PM »

The Flex product family is starting to get a little confusing.  In their website, I can't find a comparison chart that has all of the radios from 6300 through 6700 all on one page (or two pages, with all the same interesting parameters compared in an understandable way), but I'm expecting that to change (or become easier to find) when the new models come out and they'll probably thin the herd.

BTW, I have my old Apple Mac Powerbook 540C from around 1995.  Yes, that one was built like a tank!  It still boots (takes under 10 seconds), the LCD display is perfect, and Microsoft office (P, X, W) still runs perfectly but is a 20+ year old version so not terribly useful now.  The batteries are pretty weak now, but the AC adapter/charger runs the laptop just fine.  And the label on this laptop says "Made in USA".   Good quality from the old days.  I can't say the same for any of my 3 more recent non-"made in USA" wintel computers which seem to die off or need new guts after just 5-10 years, whether used daily or not... so I backup frequently just because of the junk that passes for computers these days.

However, my 13 year old Kenwood TS-2000X which was made in Singapore of all places, still runs fine, even after being abused as carry on luggage a few times and in many contests feeding very questionable antenna impedances and sometimes sitting in the sun all day.  My 2-year old IC-9100, made in Japan, still works great of course, although why shouldn't it?

I like reliable things.  Something that cr@ps out when I need to use it just fills me with regret that I didn't buy the higher quality version which might have been more money better spent.

73, Ed VE3WGO
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 07:55:45 PM »

Apple used to be made in the USA, back when they were built like tanks, not like pretty expensive crap made in China as they are today. As somebody who has worked on them when they were built here and since they have been built in China by people who at times leap to their death due to working conditions I can speak to their "quality". If I have offended you because you love your overly expensive pretty aluminum hot running nearly impossible to work on (unless you bought the tools) iMac get over it.

Some of their products are made in the USA, such as the new Mac Pro (the cylindrical one). This had the effect of slowing down production and some of their engineers wanted to push manufacturing back to Asia.

As for China - most of the US factories simply cannot do the things that Apple wants to do. They are not only cheaper but they are far advanced in manufacturing.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 08:16:16 PM »

Beyond  2 slices could be used for Direction Finding.

If Flex could deliver DSP direction finding or Single site location direction finding or even beam steering the extra slices would be needed. Then if you wanted 0.5 degree accuracy the more slices the better.

I can see the day when a network of  say stations using flex radios with 4 to 16 slices  could track down any DQRM within in seconds regardless of where in the world they are.

It would also be nice if someone like Flex delivered a ionosphere sounding features that could  just radiosonde the ham bands. Knowing  ionosphere height would be mandatory for single site location direction finding and help our understanding of propagation and antennas. Ham life can be more than just 599 TU
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: