The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bugs and Bug CW  (Read 3385 times)
KQ4MM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 06:05:50 AM »

OK noted Brian... I'm very uncomfortable at the moment in terms of my situation and pressures (financial, health, environment) so I'm actually not in the right mood or position to do it now, but I will certainly keep it in mind for when I am. I have sometimes thought it would be helpful, and I've found the videos of other CW operators very helpful too, so I will try to do it some day!

No worries at all, Here's to things greatly improving for you Lou...

Very Best Regards

Brian - KQ4MM
W8QZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 08:17:43 AM »

My beef with bug users is not with faster/shorter dits, but with extra dits thrown in - so that you have to 'interpret' what was sent to figure out what was meant. Fast dits take extra skill to get the characters correct - i.e. 5 dits where an 'H' was obviously intended.
If you're gonna use one of those things, practice enough to get it right - at whatever speed.

That said, equally as much, or more, practice is needed to send correctly with a keyer. I've messed up plenty of times with one of those. 'Eubung macht dem Meister', as an old friend used to say!
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 10:33:18 AM »

CW is not entirely natural really.. there's that. I heard of an army operator whose job was to listen to CW and type meaningless 5 letter groups all day. One day he got up and threw his typewriter out a second story window.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 02:26:52 PM »

One day he got up and threw his typewriter out a second story window.

We hams avoid following the typewriter because our CW is so full of interesting and exciting information.  Grin

One wonders how many contest "5NN TU" ops have taken the flight.
AA4OO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 04:36:41 PM »

For me, when a bug is setup properly it is just a joy to use.  Sometimes I'll just spend an hour off-air practice, sending various text using the bug.  The DIT pendulum motion under slight pressure from the thumb creates tactile feedback that makes the key feel as if it's alive.

I have a multitude of extra weights to slow it down, as well as a Vari-Speed attachment on one of the bugs, but IMO it's most pleasant to operate with its stock weight around 25-27wpm.

When I practice for a long time and have my inter-character dit-to-dah timing just right, such that the pendulum arm isn't striking the damper hard, it's magic.

Richard AA4OO
http://hamradioqrp.com

Lower your Power and Raise your expectations
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 08:22:44 AM »

When I practice for a long time and have my inter-character dit-to-dah timing just right, such that the pendulum arm isn't striking the damper hard, it's magic.

Richard AA4OO

I agree. Your observation reminds me that I require a bit of warmup before going on the air with my bug. Just beginning to
send without warming up can lead to less-than-magical sounds.

I like to do a few reps of "Bens best bent wire."
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 05:30:40 PM »

True, you both described very well how it is with bugs. You can't just always "switch on" and go live, unlike with a keyer. That's another reason I have many different keys wired in parallel  Smiley

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 08:06:08 AM »

You can't just always "switch on" and go live, unlike with a keyer.

...I'd say "even with a keyer", myself...
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »

Speaking of which; yesterday morning I had a delightful conversation with a ham who was using his 1938 McElroy bug, to me with my 1939 McElroy bug.  It made me look around and wonder; what do I have around the house that will still be in use in 75 years ?  Possibly my old bug and straight key - who knows?   

73 de Ray  ..._  ._
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2017, 05:30:42 PM »

Often think the same thing Ray. NOTHING in my house, sadly myself included, will be around as long as those keys. The only NEW thing that will be around in good working order as long as the Simplex Auto bug and the WT 8 AMP No. 2 straight key, will likely be the VK2DLF OzBug from Morsekeys.com

I DID have old furniture from my grandparents and before that would still be around, but it was all stolen.

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2017, 11:00:13 AM »

Morse is in many ways like writing: you have different standard fonts: Times New Roman, Verdana, Ariel. Those equate to slight but consistent differences in inter-character and inter-word spacing as well as character spacing, on electronic keyers.

Also Also Also No Sale here.  Angry

I think that the comparison of bad code to fonts ("Times New Roman, Verdana, Ariel") is not true.  I would better compare bad code to bad cursive handwriting.  At least the fonts are all clear and precise and each is easy to read. 

I would compare code sending to clothing style.  Some people are snappy, fine dressers.  Some, however are slobs.  Some are well groomed.  Some go for the Ted Kazinski look (think uni-bomber).  Or the Saddam Hussein when he was pulled-out-of-the-bunker look.    Undecided

W3TTT Joe

KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 03:02:34 PM »

Or the Saddam Hussein when he was pulled-out-of-the-bunker look.    Undecided

You caught me. Except that I'm more careful with my sending.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »

Joe, I'm talking about KEYERS when I compare to Times New Roman, Arial or Verdana: everyone can read those 3 fonts (as examples) easily. With the keyer that equates to perfect dit to dah ratio (since it is generated by the keyer) but slightly different (but consistent!!!) spacing between words, e.g. 7 dit lengths, 6 dit lengths, 5 dit lengths and slightly different spacing between letters (e.g. 3 dit lengths, 2.5 dit lengths, 3.5 dit lengths) --- am I now making myself clear?

CURSIVE writing that is a strong "accent" which may or may not be consistent (as may cursive hand writing) on a bug or other mechanical key. Again, hopefully I'm not clear. So YES it is a very apt comparison.

Or we could talk about a programmed robot speaking Oxford English and Cambridge English, keyers USED CORRECTLY, then we could talk about Jamaican and Trini patua... Or we could talk about music, but I fear we may get lost there, the fonts are simple and clear.

W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 05:45:05 PM »

Perhpas, all voice communication should be done using the Windows text reader. This will eliminate all those troubling accents oh and only ‘Murican English allowed ...

Next- total uniformity of food and drink.

No!

It’s a big world and variety is the spice of
Life

VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2017, 07:03:35 PM »

Ain't that the truth!

I believe in some parts of the U.S. citizens are not allowed to grow their own food, and in some parts of Australia water on a farmer's land that he gets from nature is taxed and owned by the government. I chained my bicycle to a fence in London and returned to find a polite policeman standing guard next to it. "Did you know your bicycle is chained to the Queen's property?" -- No Sir, and I was on my way. Since then I found that the British Queen owns many things around the world.

Food conformity IS being forced on us in Ameristralia and EEurope. Unless you are poor in which case "charity" (give to those that don't have what you would NOT want or accept for yourself) involves e.g. here giving away lime juice, baby biscuits and dry bread that was manufactured in the Islamic Republic of Iran in 1993 with a Use By Date of 1994, and given away for free to the poor people in VK 24 years later in 2017.

The supermarkets though won't let you drink the fruit juice that is just one day past it's use by date, and you are not allowed to sell any food without meeting all manner of "health and safety" regulations designed to enforce conformity, entrench the large companies that can afford entire departments devoted to regulations but kill all small businesses that did not yet get visited by an inspector with cockroaches in his pocket to drop when the busy owners are serving up food to their customers.

Contrast with e.g. the world's Food Paradise, the Kingdom of Thailand, which has the world's freshest, tastiest, variety of delicious foods, winning first prize, second prize and third prize, served up on the road side with flies warded off by in-cense, and common-sense. Food everywhere, the best in the world at the lowest price in the world -- how AMAZING is that, hence tourist slogan Amazing Thailand.

If I was to get off the dole (not on it by choice) it would be easy: I would buy ONE watermelon for $3. It is hot summer here. Then I'd cut that water melon into slices and put it in nice transparent clean new plastic bags with cheap bamboo sticks to eat with. I'd sell each slice for 50 cents, making $6, $3 profit. These would sell like "hot cakes" from passing traffic. At the end of the day I'd have upwards of $60. I'd then go an buy clean healthy Jasmine Rice "Product of Thailand" along with vegetables, sauces, chicken, fish, shrimps, and I'd make various delicious stir fries, and put them into containers, and sell each container also for $5 by the road side.

By the end of the week, all the elderly in my area would be well nourished, and many fat people would be slimmer and with more energy and their various tumors and health issues in decline. And I'd be rich: I'd have upwards of $1,000 by the end of the week. ONLY I would not: because the police would come together with an inspector, and ask where is my LICENSE. I'd reply: "I have a license from God, the Highest Authority". They'd then put me in a police cell, or, they'd call the men in White Coats and I'd be deported to Antarctica, VK0. Because I don't like 5NN and refuse to operate split more than a few hundred Hertz, I'd be stuck their without even a QCX for company.

BUGS are absolutely banned, especially anywhere near food, irrespective of the fact that we swallow thousands of insects a year -- I like to think not since I'm more paranoid and keep all my food in tight containers -- but no regular bug has killed us yet they are NOT allowed near food, and all food and everything else must be controlled not by tight containers but tight regulations. West is doomed.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: