The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which of five types of CW sending do you use?  (Read 3535 times)
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 05:58:22 AM »

PADDLE/KEYER and PUMP

Roughly 50/50? Or one more than the other? What about "tolerance" off "off-center" CW? Recent posts have left out that part of the question. It'd be interesting to average out the stats at the end of the thread, though the sample rate is hardly scientific but fun :-)

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
KE4OH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 06:55:10 AM »

I work 99% CW.

100% pump handle straight key. I can comfortably send faster than I can copy, which is about 22 WPM. My tolerance is 5.

For anyone thinking about getting back to CW after an absence ... I went QRT in 1982. 33 years later, I decided to get back on the air. It wasn't that hard. I was amazed at how quickly the ability to copy came back. So if you are thinking about doing it, DO IT!

73 de Steve KE4OH
SKCC NR 13651S 
dit dit

73 de Steve KE4OH
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 08:44:43 AM »

PADDLE/KEYER and PUMP

Roughly 50/50? Or one more than the other? What about "tolerance" off "off-center" CW? Recent posts have left out that part of the question. It'd be interesting to average out the stats at the end of the thread, though the sample rate is hardly scientific but fun :-)

Oh sorry. Paddle 95%. Pump 5%. Have only been using CW for 2½ years and learned to send on the paddle+keyer to learn to get the right 3:1 ratio. Until recently the straight key I had was not to comfortable to use so I got myself a Begali spark that I will try to use more.
But as mentioned in other posts learning to head copy real QSOs has a long string of failures on it so I have mostly been chasing 5NN TU DX stations and some event stations.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 09:05:09 AM »

Bug: 20 to 27 wpm, 90%.
Straight key: 0 to 20 wpm, 8%.
Cootie: 0 to 15 wpm, 1%.
Keyer (bug mode, with single lever paddle): 20 wpm and above, 1%.

The robots (keyers) and I don't dance to the same tune so I avoid them. In many things I prefer
the handmade to the factory-made. I prefer my own "smarts" to that of an iPhone.

I will communicate with anyone who sends clearly enough and with most who send in an ugly way (excessive
swing, bug dit speed out of reasonable relation to overall speed, dits too short).

I appreciate the efforts of those who do things by hand in order to learn well. In the days of the Novice license
and the code exams, there were places on the bands where learners could feel comfortable and safe, quite free
from fast-lane automatons.

A limited tolerance for bug speed 'way too slow for the dit speed and for characters run together.
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 09:57:37 AM »

I have home brew straight key, home brew cootie, bug, paddles and keyboard all hooked up and can switch between them as required.  I am proficient on each key but at different speed limits.  I will chose a key depending on my mood.  Most of the time it's the paddles.  The keyboard comes into play at higher speeds.  The mechanical keys get used for SKCC WES and NAQCC sprint operations. Lots of fun to be able to switch between keys !  See my QRZ page for key details.

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 10:46:54 AM »

I have a Begali Signature paddle, old Vibroplex bug and a Begali Spark straight key, all connected at the same time and available by just changing my arm position.  The choice is mainly driven by speed:

(1) Keyer -- 26 wpm (chats) to 32 wpm (contests)
(2) Bug -- ~23 wpm  (fun watching the mechanics swinging around)
(3) Straight Key - ~15 wpm  (painful but proves key is more than a paperweight)

Speed of the QSO is determined by my mood, the other person's speed, or where I am calling CQ -- for example, using the bug near the SKCC frequencies.

All fun!  73  Roll Eyes

Forgot the last part -- TOL 5  Grin
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »

VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 05:11:17 PM »

QLF with an instruction sheet, so there are SIX ways to send CW  Grin

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 05:16:20 PM »

...See my QRZ page for key details.
Wow folks WELL worth checking out: https://www.qrz.com/db/N3HEE
I LOVE your home brew radio clock, and hope to use it to build one myself some day!
Sorry for off topic, but thought I make it easy to just click a link.

Great responses from everyone, keep 'em coming!

I actually HAVE done QLF (Try Sending with Left Foot) to try it out... was only moderately successful!

KF0QS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 08:18:43 AM »

I use a paddle and straight key interchangeably, though 95% of the time, I use the paddle.  I'll switch to the straight key if the person I'm in QSO with is using one.  I've never used any of the other alternatives.

I think the BY-1 paddle is a gift from heaven.  When I came back to ham radio in 1991 (after a hiatus of about 16 years), I was able to pick up sending on a paddle pretty quickly (I had only used a straight key before).  It allows me to send comfortably for long periods of time.  Indeed, I fatigue more rapidly when copying rather than sending.

As for a straight key, I have a Bencher RJ-1.  I am frustrated with this key as I think the spring is too strong and makes the key stiff (I've adjusted it ad nauseum).  I've already cut out a full loop from the spring, and it still feels stiff.  When I was a kid, I felt really comfortable with a straight key, and wonder if my complaint now is the product of a long absence from using a straight key, some arthritis, or perhaps my Bencher really does have a stiff spring.  I have thought about getting a new straight key that might be a bit smoother.

As for copying someone else, I'm usually a four.  I have worked many hams who have physical limitations and are doing their best and feel it's appropriate to try and stick with them.  After all, the day may come when I am similarly limited and would appreciate someone else's patience.  Nonetheless, I do get frustrated when I sense that someone is just sloppy and doesn't feel the need to send well.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 10:21:32 AM »

When I was on the air it was bug primarily, haven't mastered Iambic but initially I liked it. Can't send fast with a pump at all and arm got tired. I'm tolerant of a messed up fist if it's slow enough to where I can reconstruct what I think they, in my imagination, hopefully, might be trying to say but if it's just unreadable, if their callsign comes out in different versions , I won't even go there...

Pump ==0
Bug == 75%
Keyboard ==25%
Tolerance ==2 really, I love really good music and I love really good cw... there is a balance between perfection and style that is beautiful. With blues music it can be more style but the perfection still has to be there. I've heard Juliard graduates [literally: a cousin and his friends made a CD] playing popular music that nobody could even listen to!

The difference between sending methods is somewhat about the division of small motor muscles vs large motor muscles... Iambic is all small motor, slapping a sideswiper or a bug is a lot less so. I recall trying to learn Iambic and wishing I had a 2x4 with some large coins for contacts...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 01:06:52 PM »

Tolerance: 4, tolerant of most fists except crammed together code. A 200 letter long word is a bit hard on the brain. Never been able to figure out how the senders never notice it and continue sending lousy cw year after year.
K0RO

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 03:57:04 PM »

I'm back on CW for the past two years now after a 60 year hiatus.  I joined SKCC and use a straight key  (My Novice J-38) exclusively.  I'm about a 4 on the tolerance scale.  The one "key" I don't intend to use any time soon is my microphone.  CW is my only mode, at least for the foreseeable future.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2017, 05:09:12 PM »

Great to hear
I'm back on CW for the past two years now after a 60 year hiatus.  I joined SKCC and use a straight key  (My Novice J-38) exclusively.  I'm about a 4 on the tolerance scale.  The one "key" I don't intend to use any time soon is my microphone.  CW is my only mode, at least for the foreseeable future.
Welcome back K0RO! Thanks all others above and below for very interesting posts. K0RO I forgot to add microphone, though it'd have been misunderstood! When mobile and not having brought the key with me, I sometimes use microphone PTT when in CW mode, it acts as a straight key!

KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2017, 06:01:45 PM »

My preference is PUMP (85%) and KEYER/Paddle (15%)

note: I still use a WWII (U.S. Navy) "Flame Proof",
                 that I acquired in 1959 for my Novice setup.

note: My Paddle is a Bencher BY-1 that I bought
                 new in 1981 after upgrading to Advanced.

Bob

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: