The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which of five types of CW sending do you use?  (Read 2996 times)
K4YWZ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2017, 01:49:02 PM »

From the world of a CW newbie...

100% keyer/paddle.  That's what CWops requires (just finished their CW Academy Level One class two weeks ago).  And no complaints with that... I'm already smitten with the lovely, rhythmic feel of those dits and dahs coming off your fingertips.

But one of the first things I picked up when I got involved with ham radio a year ago was a nice Kent straight key.  I'm going to stick with the keyer/paddle for awhile, until I get more comfortable with the code.  But I'm looking forward to trying that straight key.

And, someday, a bug.  Wouldn't it be great to send like this YL...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3zwOZkYe_Q

Tolerance would be a '2.'  But that's because of my shortcomings, not the other op.  I look forward to the day when I'm less sucky... and can greet every op and every speed and every fist with a gracious smile and a thank you!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:51:47 PM by K4YWZ » Logged
KR4TH

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2017, 06:25:39 AM »

1. PUMP (STRAIGHT KEY) -   20%  12-18 wpm for SKCC
2. COOTIE (SIDESWIPER)  - 10%   10-15 wpm for SKCC
3. BUG (SEMI AUTO DITS) - 35% I am enjoying the bug more now that I added weight to slow it down, 15-20 wpm, as I get more practice and better sending I will go faster, still trying to find the sweet spot for speed, spacing and smooth sounding cw
4. KEYER (ELECTRONIC)  - 35% When I want a longer rag chew with a good sending op.
5. KEYBOARD (COMPUTER) - 0%

I started 59 years ago on a J-38 then HB homemade hacksaw bug, to Japanese black box bug, to HB electronic tube keyer from old handbook, to vibroplex original to K-5 keyer.  I enjoy them all, just use which ever seems to fit the occasion
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 11:48:29 AM »

Pump during the day and either cootie or electronic at night because there's less noise (my shack is next to the bedroom). I have a small collection of straight keys but only one set of paddles which is switched to either mode depending on my mood.

Peter DL8OV
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: