The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 7300 Resets the bar of Ham RADIO.  (Read 9607 times)
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2017, 07:11:23 AM »

... I don't buy your "basic" radio theory.  Nope, not even a little bit.

Yeah, its such a great radio that it is selling for less than $1000. Wink

I have operated a 7300, its at best just "OK".

Perhaps you have owned more "high end" radios than I.  I am comparing it to my Icom 756pro3, and it is superior to my pro3.  As compared to my old Yaesu FT450at it is far far superior to it.  I guess you would consider an IC 718 which is really an entry level transceiver, a real POS then?  I suppose it it all relative.  As for the price, the price has NOTHING to do how good a receiver is only how much of a bargain it is.  By the way the IC 7300 is now the bargain of the century.  I suggest all new hams considering their first rig should buy one.  Yes it IS that good. 
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2017, 04:26:55 PM »

Wow
Wow Amazing.
Top notch
The Best out here
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »

Better than those 3 knobbers you're used to, eh?

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
W7TRP

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2017, 09:38:14 AM »

It's great that guys can spend the money upfront offering an incentive to the manufacturers to upgrade their offerings; there's nothing wrong with that.  I come from another perspective; for me, a hobby means I spend the least amount of capital and get the greatest pleasure on a shoe stream budget. I don't hunger for the promises of better than this or that.  I would rather work on the existing obsolete technologies and enjoy them for what they are.

If it was not for us that upgrade and buy the latest and greatest all of the time you would not have any of that old technology inventory out there to buy for cheap.
 Grin
W7TRP
KB4MNG

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2017, 12:45:01 PM »

Guys, everything is 'relative'. I'm retired and watch my $. However, I bought a 7300 when they were first announced and don't even remember what I paid. Don't care, it's been a fantastic radio.
I just paid for my 7610, for which I scrimped and saved.
At my age, it will be my last radio. I have so many gathering dust here, from Allied to Collins, I just like radios. (as well as firearms, motorcycles, and hot rods, and a complete welding/machine shop).

To put things into perspective, I work part time for a rich buddy of mine. He has 5 Honda Goldwing trikes. He thinks NOTHING of a $25K custom paint job. $300K motorhomes. He retired at 39.

FWIW

ron
N4UE

Gotta ask...How'd he retire so rich at 39?
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2017, 10:32:03 AM »

My experience with the 7300...

I bought one in February 2017, sold it in March 2017.  I bought it as a 100-watt backup rig to my Elecraft K-Line.  I sold my Elecraft KX3 to pay for the 7300.  However, when I bought the 7300 I also bought an Elecraft KX2 as my portable rig to replace the KX3.

I liked every aspect of the radio except for one failing.  I could hear the QSK relay clicking during CW ops and this really bothered me.  With fast break-in it was unacceptable.  With headphones, the QSK noise was not a problem but headphone usage is something I do rarely.  Given I was almost 100 percent CW, I got rid of the radio.

The day I sold the 7300 and the money arrived in my PayPal account, I ordered another Elecraft KX3 and this time I bought the 100-watt amplifier so that it could be my 100-watt backup rig.  I should have done this the first time.

If you are operating SSB or anything else that is not CW with break-in then the 7300 really is a great radio in my opinion.

ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2017, 06:22:15 AM »

... edit....  I could hear the QSK relay clicking during CW ops....  With fast break-in it was unacceptable...If you are operating SSB or anything else that is not CW with break-in...

Were you also running an amp?

If so, did you notice any "Hot Switching" due to the incorrectly designed relay delay?
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2017, 11:10:19 AM »

Wow. There  were no illegal mods done were there. Hmmm. Maybee an open mod done. I was just wondering. Hmmmm. 73ss to all. P.S. That will VOID your waranty.. Just saying.  WOW
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2017, 12:00:56 PM »

Proclaimeth Captain CB! All hail the Niles nitwit, to whom CW is a television network!

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2017, 01:13:33 PM »

Proclaimeth Captain CB! All hail the Niles nitwit, to whom CW is a television network!
El Oh El.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2017, 06:07:51 AM »

My experience with the 7300...

I bought one in February 2017, sold it in March 2017.  I bought it as a 100-watt backup rig to my Elecraft K-Line.  I sold my Elecraft KX3 to pay for the 7300.  However, when I bought the 7300 I also bought an Elecraft KX2 as my portable rig to replace the KX3.

I liked every aspect of the radio except for one failing.  I could hear the QSK relay clicking during CW ops and this really bothered me.  With fast break-in it was unacceptable.  With headphones, the QSK noise was not a problem but headphone usage is something I do rarely.  Given I was almost 100 percent CW, I got rid of the radio.

The day I sold the 7300 and the money arrived in my PayPal account, I ordered another Elecraft KX3 and this time I bought the 100-watt amplifier so that it could be my 100-watt backup rig.  I should have done this the first time.

If you are operating SSB or anything else that is not CW with break-in then the 7300 really is a great radio in my opinion.

So you are almost a 100% CW guy and don't use headphones.  Sorry, I'm having a hard time with that one.  Also, there are some easy fixes for the 7300 relay, which is barely audible, on you tube.  Please forgive me if I get the impression you're just trying to shill for Elecraft. 
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2017, 10:18:30 AM »

... edit...Also, there are some easy fixes for the 7300 relay, which is barely audible, on you tube.  Please forgive me if I get the impression you're just trying to shill for Elecraft. 

Well, I can ASSURE you that I am not an Elecraft "shill".

The REAL problem with the incorrectly designed relay is not hearing clicking noises (and there are clicking noises).

The PROBLEM is the relay "hot switches" fast PIN diode amplifiers during QSK operations.

To my knowledge ICOM is aware of the issue and has not corrected it.,
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2017, 09:52:25 PM »

ND6M -- you ask if I was using an amp -- No, I was not using an amp.  I talked to a few other IC-7300 owners and they either knew of or verified the noise from the QSK relay so it was not unique to my operation.

KA4DPO -- I prefer speakers to headphones because  I can hear and listen for other noises in the environment, such as someone ringing the door bell.  I have never had a problem using speakers and I don't understand why you should care one way or the other whether I prefer speakers or headphones.

KA4DPO -- I own other Icom equipment and I have been an Icom fan since my first non-Pro IC-756.  However, for most of my operating today I use my K3 or KX2 (portable).
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2017, 09:39:24 AM »

I don't own a 7300 but would be interested if it mated up perfectly with the ICOM amplifier.  One would surely think so.
Art
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2017, 04:27:07 PM »

WOW
You cant go wrong with the ICOM 7300.MODDED OR UN MODDED.Wow. God Bless All ...Stay Safe. 10-4
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: