The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: maybe this FT8 thing isn't the death of ham radio  (Read 3150 times)
KD0PO

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:32:10 AM »

I ignored all the JT's, clover, rover and sam. Angry Roll Eyes

I looked into FT8 because KC0W said he was going to start using it. Shocked
I was a struggle to get it all working.
Then this:

KD0PO FR4PG 2017-11-12 16:43:15 17M RTTY 18.10069 REUNION ISLAND Selected 17M; Challenge; Digital

happened, and I may be a convert....

guess an old dog can learn a new trick  Grin Grin
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:53:30 AM »

I just crossed the 2700 mark (worked) for DXCC Challenge.  Three recently new ones were worked on FT8.  I'd say I've also worked about half a dozen ATNO's toward my DXCC Digital award where I have far fewer worked/confirmed (at 260ish - CW is my first love and I only recently started chasing RYRYRY stuff).

There is an incredible amount of NA and EU activity on FT8.  NA to NA QSOs fill a lot of the ~2500hz bandwidth during peak activity times.  Lots of "routine" DX.  But - there are definitely some gems in there if you look hard enough.  It's not really my thing, though I am active on the mode.  It's another helpful tool in the tool chest.

-Dave
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »

I ignored all the Jet's, clover, rover and sam. Angry Roll Eyes

Then this:

KD0PO FR4PG 2017-11-12 16:43:15 17M RTTY 18.10069 REUNION ISLAND Selected 17M; Challenge; Digital

I'm playing also Ray. I believe it has a measure of potential?

Obie N5VYS
KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 11:00:04 AM »

I ignored all the Jet's, clover, rover and sam. Angry Roll Eyes

Then this:

I'm playing also Ray. I believe it has a measure of potential?

Obie N5VYS

once everything was set-up and working, it is really very seamless.
I have to admit, it makes a Q on very little power. I thing a multi band vertical  would be the be perfect for this mode...

Ray
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »

I never thought I'd go for a digital mode because I'm usually set in my ways but FT8 is much better than JT and if Joe is coming out with a DX version that'll just make this mode even more popular.  I've even filled in some slots on WARC bands using FT8 and LoTW.  I had the countries confirmed but via QSL cards and my checker, who used to live in town, has retired from the hobby, so a LoTW confirmation makes things much easier.

Chris  NU1O

KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 03:18:08 PM »

Glad that you are enjoying FT8 Ray. I'm leaving Hong Kong this morning for Vietnam & might give FT8 another try from there.

Tom 3W9CW
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »

I love it!

Lots of DXPeditions are now using it; I just worked VK9MA on 20M FT8.  I also managed to work them as VK9MA/MM too on FT8!

A fantastic mode, lots of fun and lots to learn.

J.D. Mitchell - VK3BL / XU7AGA - http://vk3bl.wordpress.com
KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 04:53:10 PM »

Glad that you are enjoying FT8 Ray. I'm leaving Hong Kong this morning for Vietnam & might give FT8 another try from there.

Tom 3W9CW

thanks Tom, I'll be looking for you!
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 04:58:42 PM »

I am also learning new tricks...having a blast with it, running 500 mW to a dipole to see how many folks I can work.  Better responses if I call CQ than calling another station.  Still cannot believe what QRPp can do with this mode: EU and SA in the log.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 09:40:14 PM »

My best QRP is about 11200 miles on about four watts on 20 meters.  Reunion Island, back in August.

That's about 3000 miles per watt.  Not bad for someone without real QRP gear.

Some amazing things are indeed possible.
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 12:29:27 AM »

i think its a tool most of us should have i hate it but worked vk9ma on 20m ft8 today like shooting fish in a barrel they were+3 here.  This mode is getting alot more ops into dxing which is a good thing we have a local vk fb groups for dx chasing when they first join they are ft8 this ft8 that but guess what they get a taste learn cw buy a bigger antenna better rig etc and start chasing seriously then you get more people active in the hobby which over is important as number are dwindling.
de
Steve
vk3meg
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 08:13:44 AM »

I've heard this 'number is dwindling' argument all my life.  

Do you have the actual numbers in VK land over time?

In the US, the number of licensees have remains about the same at 650,000 plus or minus for thirty years.  If I go by things like CQ WW contest log submissions, DXing and Contesting are holding their own, too.  So, it isn't all a bunch of kids with 2m HTs and nothing more.  The Q rate for major DXpeditions is way higher than it was when I got first licensed.

What has mainly changed is that most join our ranks in their 30s and 40s and not in their teens.  Kids apparently have other things to do with their time, but "our" cohort seems to find us later in life.

But, a lot of hams (including those running the show) seem to fear that if we don't get them when they are 15, we never do.  The evidence, however, says otherwise.

What is probably true is that things like FT8 will be much more attractive to the younger ham.  It's more computer-driven (they will like that) and it will be incredibly nice to those living in HOAs (which, in Arizona where I live, is really "any home built after about 1970 not well out of town" -- true all over the US West).  That will also skew a bit younger.

If you are trying to recruit a 35 year old, and want to put DXing or contesting into the mix, FT8 is a much easier sell, because they are much more likely to "work the world" from an attic antenna than on even CW.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:16:26 AM by WO7R » Logged
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 08:41:24 AM »

seem to fear that if we don't get them when they are 15, we never do.  The evidence, however, says otherwise.
I'm here and I'm 15 Grin  But yeah, I guess I'm not like most kids. All of my friends look at me like I have six heads when I try to explain to them what I'm doing with all of those wires in the back yard and all of that equipment on my desk.... haha

So, it isn't all a bunch of kids with 2m HTs and nothing more.
My HT is in a drawer... I hardly ever use it. I prefer the excitement of HF DXing/contesting over local 2m.  Wink  I probably should get on 2m from time to time though because some of the locals thought I died or something since I had not been on the repeater lately  Grin

73 de KM4SII - Mason

VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 05:37:40 PM »

I've heard this 'number is dwindling' argument all my life. 

Do you have the actual numbers in VK land over time?

around 15000 licensed yes number are decline only around 2-3000 active  hams 2-300 active dx'ers our population is getting old we don't have the drive to emergancy comms like you do in the us or a huge amount of preppers like you do. very very few people under the age of 30 even cb over here is mainly old guys reliving their childhood. your arrl is strong and cashed up unlike our wia which is struggling and running at a loss our magazine is going bi monthly to cut costs we dont have a high number of members. we only get lip service from our govt regulator as they are too busy collecting cash and looking after the mobile carriers.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 05:54:39 PM »

What has mainly changed is that most join our ranks in their 30s and 40s and not in their teens.  Kids apparently have other things to do with their time, but "our" cohort seems to find us later in life.

What is probably true is that things like FT8 will be much more attractive to the younger ham.  It's more computer-driven (they will like that) and it will be incredibly nice to those living in HOAs (which, in Arizona where I live, is really "any home built after about 1970 not well out of town" -- true all over the US West).  That will also skew a bit younger.

If you are trying to recruit a 35 year old, and want to put DXing or contesting into the mix, FT8 is a much easier sell, because they are much more likely to "work the world" from an attic antenna than on even CW.

Excellent points. Contesting may be an even better 'product' to sell than DXing. FT8 will likely help as well, specially if the DXing/contesting mode is implemented, as mentioned elsewhere.

The last thing we should do, is to say that by being a ham you can 'talk' with people all over the world. They have Skype, Whatsup, etc for that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: