The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: maybe this FT8 thing isn't the death of ham radio  (Read 3249 times)
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 09:15:04 PM »

The last thing we should do, is to say that by being a ham you can 'talk' with people all over the world. They have Skype, Whatsup, etc for that.

True,  but can't call random phone numbers and chat with like minded people.

73 Mark N1UK
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 12:07:59 AM »

True,  but can't call random phone numbers and chat with like minded people.

How I wish I could agree with you.  Alas, it is very easy to join and participate in all sorts of Facebook groups devoted to just about any niche interest you could imagine.  I monitor several and I haven't really looked hard for everything that might interest me.

Then there are places like Ars Technica and no doubt a hundred like it where at least technically minded people can gather into on-line fora of various sorts.  Not unlike eHam, in the end.  I know of several organized around Photography, so it doesn't have to be hypertechnical.  That sort of thing predates Facebook.  Heck, it even predates the internet as we know if it you restrict yourself to the more technical groups (BBS anyone?).
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 05:07:53 AM »

How I wish I could agree with you.  Alas, it is very easy to join and participate in all sorts of Facebook groups devoted to just about any niche interest you could imagine.  I monitor several and I haven't really looked hard for everything that might interest me.

Then there are places like Ars Technica and no doubt a hundred like it where at least technically minded people can gather into on-line fora of various sorts.  Not unlike eHam, in the end.  I know of several organized around Photography, so it doesn't have to be hypertechnical.  That sort of thing predates Facebook.  Heck, it even predates the internet as we know if it you restrict yourself to the more technical groups (BBS anyone?).

And in addition to the above, they won't understand/accept that calling somebody in VK land, for example, is not something you do on demand. Then there is the quality of the connection. Again, not the right approach IMHO.
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »

It has been a Big help for me especially on the low bands. Big City hams operators need all the help we can get.

Obie N5VYS
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 01:00:44 PM »

i have been doing some dxing on 10m ft8 .10m is my favorite band finally after a long dark dead winter 10m is coming alive i thought i wouldn't get a ssb or cw qso in to europe this year . well wspr and ft8 helps that happen with great signals 579. in the evening 10m wspr started getting in to eu then i switched to ft8  took a bit but 10m ft8 opened up to eu signals were on the + side of the scale. keeping an eye on the rbn and listening occasionally first s52zw was there he couldn't hear me my 100w not enough but he worked a few vk's signal 559 then ea5fx came in he was booming 579 btw also put a few italians etc in the log on ft8 . its a really good mode for the serious dx'er like a tool.
sorry i sound like a 6m tragic but this mode is proving its worth to me with  jt65 i got bored very very fast the 15 sec qso rate has really helped and it great to see the dxpeditions getting on board as well.
cheers
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 01:29:44 PM »

I've been playing around with FT8 lately, interesting mode. With JT65 I always felt like I was watching the grass grow it was so slow and boring. But with FT8 it's still like watching the grass grow, except four times faster Cheesy I notice some people calling 5T1R on 21.074, and they are part of the 5T5TI team which lists FT8 as one of their operating modes. I'm just wondering if FT8 or other low signal operating modes will eventually replace RTTY and PSK as the primary for digital Q's?
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »

II'm just wondering if FT8 or other low signal operating modes will eventually replace RTTY and PSK as the primary for digital Q's?

For contacts only, no conversation, PSK has no chance to compete with FT8.

RTTY is still a contender, however there is work being done to make FT8 more contest and DXPed friendly/efficient. Time will tell.
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 04:38:51 PM »

What has put me off digital modes generally, is that I found that even in the free-form conversation modes, most operators cannot or will not type! PSK 31 became annoying, with those recorded texts, and no actual personal communication.

Having worked about all that has been on air the past ten years, I am over the "5nn TU" QSO, and seek a bit more interaction.

I will watch to see what develops in the digital domain. In the meantime, I will continue with CW using my SDR. After I can no longer hear, keyboard modes may become attractive.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 05:38:22 PM »

PSK 31 became annoying, with those recorded texts, and no actual personal communication.
After I can no longer hear, keyboard modes may become attractive.

Macros are available in many other modes, but its use in PSK31 is an exaggeration. Not only that, but some of the silliness that is sent, like 'operator manufactured on...' Roll Eyes

I thought PSK31 was a conversational mode, why use macros? And some people criticize FT8, which has never claimed to be a conversational mode.

I can still hear, but CW is not fun at all with tinnitus.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2017, 07:03:04 AM »

I thought PSK31 was a conversational mode, why use macros?

Because the truth is, many of us do not have much to say.  But, we want the illusion of a conversation.  So, the crutch comes out.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2017, 07:33:12 AM »

I thought PSK31 was a conversational mode, why use macros?

Because the truth is, many of us do not have much to say.  But, we want the illusion of a conversation.  So, the crutch comes out.

The truth hurts. Grin

And this was my 820th post on eHam on this 25th day of November, 2017 at 15:34:06 UTC.  => Looks familiar?  Grin

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:36:34 AM by VA3VF » Logged
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2017, 04:33:36 AM »

very impressive  The spot today during the cq cw ww https://pskreporter.info/cgi-bin/pskstats.pl
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2017, 02:51:11 PM »

I've heard this 'number is dwindling' argument all my life.  

You're absolutely right.  And by coincidence, this morning I found a 2003 copy of CQ magazine.  Morse had just been dropped as a requirement, and one columnist said basically:  "Face it, CW is dead.  A few old-timers will keep it going for a while, like AM phone, but the mode itself is now going to die."

It sure didn't sound like CW is dead this weekend during the CQ WW contest.  Smiley  And notice right here on eham how many times we see a young'un saying he's been a ham for a while and wants to get active on CW.   I don't have statistics, but CW definitely doesn't seem dead to me!

"You can have my BY-1 when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!"
    Wink
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2017, 05:30:31 PM »

3Y0Z plan to use the new mode also.

"We will only use FT8 when we cannot use the standard,
higher rate modes"

Obie N5VYS

VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 03:28:09 AM »

I've heard this 'number is dwindling' argument all my life. 

Do you have the actual numbers in VK land over time?
One in every 2,000 people here has a ham license, they don't seem to use it but they have it. That is perhaps a higher ratio than back in the 70's. I think it was less than that back then. But the bands had much more activity, so it seems people get a license and do other things with it -- probably talk to the XYL from their interstate truck, using illegal frequencies since the authorities could not care less.

15,000 licenses, population 30 million.

The ratio in USA has always been higher, I think somewhere between one in every 500 to 1,000 people have a ham license of some sort. Like you said, that is steady. Just national societies in some places have become greedier and less imaginative, more corrupt, and maybe the membership is dwindling.

Edit PS: perhaps one of highest or highest ratio in the world is Thailand, around one in every 150 people has a ham license, albeit almost all 10m and VHF. (10m recently added but have to attend a demonstration to show they can operate a 10m rig correctly, with no additional exam other than the VHF exam). Again, not everyone seems to be using it. Licenses I guess stay for life more or less if they are renewed, but interest in actually using ham radio will have dwindled due to the Internet and mobile phones being more powerful than any ham hand-held transceiver.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:34:02 AM by VK5EEE » Logged

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: