The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXing from northern Idaho  (Read 3498 times)
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 08:56:50 AM »

You  don't need need elevation to work HF DX the way you need to work VHF DX. I've done both.  K6TU's for profit web site is the easiest way to get topo data--he may be willing to evaluate properties for you.

You may consider areas which are losing population. You have more opportunities for buying choice real estate that meets your needs if people are leaving. Presumably the lack of jobs won't be an issue since you are retiring, which is normally the reason for an outflow of people.  Finding the perfect location won't do you any good if the owner won't sell.

Zack W1VT

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 11:22:00 AM »

Lake Dillon is the worst possible place to live in Colorado unless you are an avid skier.  The real estate there is expensive because it's a resort town for skiers.  Also in the winter I-70 is gridlocked with skier traffic.

In Colorado you are much better off staying below 6,000'.  The weather in the high country is much harsher in the winter.  Below 6000' you'll get plenty of sunshine and some occasional snow.  Wildlife is abundant where I live.  Elk, deer, wild turkeys, and foxes.

Here's a modest ham-friendly home in Colorado with room to build an antenna farm and it won't break the bank.  It's not my QTH but a friend of mine's, about 15min. away from me.  It's located just outside of city limits in Northern Colorado.  GL.

Jonathan W6GX
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:24:04 AM by W6GX » Logged
AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »

I love the people that think that just because I live it roughly 6300 feet that my HF range increases. No it doesn't. But I sure am in VHF Nirvana. I can see the lights of Mexico from here if I want to. When I lived in Big Bear Lake itself I was at 6789 feet but was surrounded by mountains that peak out at 11500 feet ASL. Moving slightly down the mountain was a much better pay off. My primary repeater since it roughly 6550 feet and has a commanding View in nearly all directions with usable range of an HT of the 120 miles believe it or not. But that's not HF. I know on HF it's all about the take-off angle and my home location is actually an excellent location for either a VHF contest or an HF contest. But I don't have the acreage.

Your suggestion that I look at cities in Colorado where people are moving out seems like a real good idea. If you can name any off I'd be interested in reading about them. I am prone to liking living in the mountains better but there can be a trade-off there with my bad back and difficulty walking. Then getting firewood while it's coming down a foot an hour. That's what we had last year when we were buried up to the three quarter mark on my front door. I just want a nice home on top of the hill that has a commanding View and decent VHF range. I can always put a remote up with a commercial site if I really want to do it up with VHF. I just don't want to get stuck down at the bottom of the valley. My luck some damn a hundred miles away would break and wash my home away. No, I like to see the lights of the community below me. It's very peaceful and relaxing to me. But so is being around water.

If there are any Lakeside communities that have acreage I would be interested in reading about them as well. I suppose I will give up on Idaho due to its poor propagation and stick with Colorado. Thank you for the information you have provided so far and the pictures of what looks like a very nice home with a small antenna Farm on it. I guess being out of the mountains makes snow loading far less on that aluminum antenna.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2017, 01:23:36 PM »

My neighbor N0ZV has talked about selling his place.  We both live in a lakeside community.  He lives on a ridge above me, and has a commanding VHF QTH.  The house itself sits a bit further down the ridge so he can't see city lights to the east from his house.  But at the base of his tower which sits on the ridge he has an unobstructed view into Kansas to the east, and Wyoming to the north, etc.  If you are seriously interested in Colorado you should make a trip down here.  And I can show you around.  Flights from LAX to DIA are pretty cheap.

Jonathan W6GX
AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2017, 09:06:07 AM »

Thank you Jonathan for the warm welcome.
AF6D

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2017, 08:18:17 PM »

I see that Colorado is second on the top 110 list of retirement states but Idaho is actually a better choice... <sigh> based on my list.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: