The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Icom IC-7610 USA price is $4,000  (Read 12657 times)
WX0V

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2017, 12:45:42 PM »

Earlier today I received an email from DX Engineering indicating that the Icom IC-7610 will be selling for $4,000.

Apparently other Ham Radio sellers have a similar price.

The email also indicated a "ship date" for my pre-order (done back in December of 2016) of 11/20/17; but I am unsure if that's just a computer-generated ETA, or if it really will ship next Monday.  I want the radio...my wallet isn't so sure, so I can wait.  :-)

That's all I have.

73!

Scott - WX0V
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 01:34:52 PM »

Wow. That's almost exactly 3x the price of the 7300. Is the 7610 three times better than the 7300? You be the judge of that. In my opinion, it isn't. I'll pass.
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 01:35:35 PM »

After the first 2 hours of order cancellations, the USA price is already re-listed on vendor sites at $3,899.
They are testing their initial greed factor and adjusting quickly.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »

That's great, the price is almost two thousand less than the FT-5000D was when it hit the street and the Icom is a much better rig than the Yaesu.  It's also priced in the same exact ballpark as the Flex radio 6600M at $5K.  I don't see the price of the Icom as an issue, in fact it looks like a bargain to me since it does quite a bit more than the 7300, it has a very expanded set of features so the two IC-7300 argument is actually quite stupid.

The Icom rig looks like a really nice radio, I plan to find out real soon.  Cheesy

Interesting how all of the Flexers just have to try and crap on it as early as possible. Losers..... Grin
KENNETH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 04:15:32 PM »

MTC Radio is $3899 saying early December.
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »

That's great, the price is almost two thousand less than the FT-5000D was when it hit the street and the Icom is a much better rig than the Yaesu.  

How do you know that so quickly ?
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 05:55:35 PM »

The FTDX5000 for its time was a radio that bested many radio's at that time in the RX section and gave you a 200W out radio in class AB  plus 75w out in class A with excellent 3rd order IMD, its also a prove radio for contesters and DXers alike. The 7610 has not been proven except that its a step up from the 7300, has no class A output just the standard 100W out class ab, it does have two rx sections and a very nice large display/fish finder but to be honest way too many hams buy a radio cause of the fish finder over how the RX section really performs.
Some dealers have deeper discounts than DX does on there radio's and its very common that there price is a little more , also if they include shipping at the $4k price that may be the differences right there. I will say that the final price that Icom has settled on is way higher than expected, many were looking at the radio to come out in the low $3K mark but for that kind of money it better have the same digi select as the 7800 series plus band pass filters with pre amp stages from that series as well. My thoughts are if the numbers Icom is claiming on there pre specification pages are close to there 7851 that this may be the way they could do this  and using from a proven design is already taking care of the R&D already paid for. Time will tell but I think we are all a little surprised and I dont think it will be my next radio.
N3AWS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 06:07:45 PM »

I would expect:
1. IC-7600 close outs will be hot sellers
2.  IC-7300 sells will see a mini surge by buyers not quite ready to spring for an IC-7610
3.  A few will jump ship to the lower price Flex 6000 models
4.  IC-7610's will sell better than the IC-7600 but not as well as the Icom 756 PRO OIL
VK1AZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 07:49:20 PM »

Suddenly feeling that large hit my Credit Card is taking in AUS is not that bad in comparison Smiley , any way I found this PDF http://www.icom-australia.com/products/amateur/ic-7610/Amateur_IC-7610_Technical_Report.pdf that Icom spends quite a bit of effort comparing to the 7851 and using flagship wording.
US Pricing
7851 - $13,499
7610 - $3999

I'll bet that the 7610 is at least better than 30% of a 7851........ not saying the 7851 is good value by the way and a long long way out of my reach. Smiley
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 08:20:19 PM »

The FTDX5000 for its time was a radio that bested many radio's at that time in the RX section and gave you a 200W out radio in class AB  plus 75w out in class A with excellent 3rd order IMD, its also a prove radio for contesters and DXers alike. The 7610 has not been proven except that its a step up from the 7300, has no class A output just the standard 100W out class ab, it does have two rx sections and a very nice large display/fish finder but to be honest way too many hams buy a radio cause of the fish finder over how the RX section really performs.
Some dealers have deeper discounts than DX does on there radio's and its very common that there price is a little more , also if they include shipping at the $4k price that may be the differences right there. I will say that the final price that Icom has settled on is way higher than expected, many were looking at the radio to come out in the low $3K mark but for that kind of money it better have the same digi select as the 7800 series plus band pass filters with pre amp stages from that series as well. My thoughts are if the numbers Icom is claiming on there pre specification pages are close to there 7851 that this may be the way they could do this  and using from a proven design is already taking care of the R&D already paid for. Time will tell but I think we are all a little surprised and I dont think it will be my next radio.

Well the IC-7610 bests a lot of current radios and for a lot less than the FTDX-5000D, a lot less.  It has features the 5000 doesn't have and is more modern in every way.  The price is not higher than I expected nor is it out of line with a mid level rig, I paid $3800 and change for my IC-7600 when it was new and I don't recall this kind of nonsense over the price.

I suppose I don't really care what your next radio is going to be, I plan to buy the IC-7610 because I want a radio, I already have a computer and a spectrum analyzer.
WX0V

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 08:23:06 PM »

What I find interesting, from a marketing perspective, is the IC-7610 is set to replace the (currently) $2,000 IC-7600.  At $4,000 (or $3,900), that is twice the price of the radio it's replacing (and it is clearly being marketed as a direct replacement; hence, no new series number).

Has this ever happened before?--where a replacement is double the price of the existing model?

So is Icom then ditching the very popular $3,000 radio market?  Granted, the price WILL drop; you often pay a premium to be the first in the door, but even then a drop might be, what, $200 or $300?  It's still well above the $3K mark, that Ham Radio buyers are so accustomed to.  

Granted, this radio is a nice step above the IC-7600; SDR, 2 receivers, DiGi Sel, etc.  However, is it truly worth twice the price?  Will that $4,000 tag scare away the pre-order people like me?  Or do they change their orders to the IC-7600 for half the price like N3AWS mentioned?  

I currently have a 10 year old 756 PROIII.  If the email I got today said the IC-7610 is $3,499 and is shipping on Monday, I'd be pretty excited (I pre-ordered it in December of last year).  Instead, it's $4,000...$500 more than Icom's own rep said it would be on a youtube video from Xenia (linked here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGAhllEAUnk -- go the 1:40 mark)...now I am questioning this...I wonder how many others feel like I do?

I would love to be a fly on the wall at Icom's HQ for their first quarter sales recap meeting in 2018...it will be interesting to see if the market accepts a $4K radio in a $3K radio world...maybe...maybe not?

We'll see...

73 de WX0V
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 03:18:01 AM »

What I find interesting, from a marketing perspective, is the IC-7610 is set to replace the (currently) $2,000 IC-7600.  At $4,000 (or $3,900), that is twice the price of the radio it's replacing (and it is clearly being marketed as a direct replacement; hence, no new series number).
73 de WX0V

What everyone here seems to forget is that the Icom 7600 was $4000 list price at it's inception, around $3800 street price. Over the years like every ham radio, the 7600 has declined in street price. It is hardly fair to compare the present new price of a radio 10 years old to it's successor price.

Many here on eham seem to forget that 10 years ago a Flexradio 5000 with ATU and 2nd RX was $3800. And that radio needed a $1000 computer and $200 of ferrites to run.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I never heard any Flexers complain about those prices.

Like the Pro II, Pro III and the 7600, the 7610 will continue to appeal, probably even more than it's ancestors.

This obviously has worried those that are Flexradio Lovers as the 7610 could very well be the death of the Flexradio Company.

Interesting how all of the Flexers just have to try and crap on it as early as possible. Losers..... Grin

Predictable - YES -- but Hardly interesting.  Wink

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:35:13 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 05:50:15 AM »

Actually $3,900. Now it will be interesting to see where the 7610 lands on Sherwood's list, especially in comparison to the 7300 on receiver performance. And then compared to the coming Flex 6400M (at a proposed price of $3,250 with ATU). Is the 7610 worth 3+ 7300's? And don't forget, if you want to tune that 2nd receiver simultaneously, you'll have to shell out another $260 for the RC-28 knob... bringing the total price to $4,160. It's gonna cause a lot of pre-order cancellations due to the pre-conditioned notion of a proposed price of $3,500. Time will tell where the price eventually winds up in a year. The 7300 started out at $1,500, and is now at $1,250.

In my opinion, the main reason to have two receivers is for contesters running SO2V or monitoring another band for activity. You can easily work DX split with one receiver and two VFO's. Contesters can run a more efficient SO2R with two 7300's, and have $1,660 more in your wallet.

73,  Bob K7JQ

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 07:14:19 AM »

In my opinion, the main reason to have two receivers is for contesters running SO2V or monitoring another band for activity. You can easily work DX split with one receiver and two VFO's.
73,  Bob K7JQ

I do contesting but am not a hardcore contester. I am a enthusiastic DXer. Yes you can work split Dx with one receiver BUT it is a whole lot easier AND faster with Dual Watch or 2 RX's. ESPECIALLY in a large pileup.

You can always tell who has the one receiver and 2 vfos. They are the jerks that call while the DX is calling. They are the ones that sit for an hour trying to work split pileup DX.

I have had the Pro II, Pro III and the 7600. I also have a QSR1 which I run as a click and pounce Panafall when the going gets rough. HOWEVER 90% of the time Dual Watch is more than sufficient to easily work any split DX. I have always been surprised that other Hamradio manufacturers do not do the Dual Watch thingy as it is much more efficient and faster than split with only one RX. Cheaper to implement than 2 RX's too.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:20:23 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 07:27:59 AM »

Now it will be interesting to see where the 7610 lands on Sherwood's list,
73,  Bob K7JQ

Only the clueless rely on Sherwoods list to buy a radio. I bought a Flexradio 5000 and at the time it was at the top of Sherwoods.List.  That Flex 5K ended up being the WORST hamradio purchase of my 57 yr ham career.

Many hams would be shocked to know what radios Mr. Sherwood has actually bought and personally used thru the years.  Wink

Stan K9IUQ
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: