The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Icom IC-7610 USA price is $4,000  (Read 12351 times)
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2017, 02:17:26 PM »

It would be nice if the Sherwood receiver test listing were sortable by different columns, kind of like the way that eHam reviews are sortable by whichever column you prefer.  I laboriously once long ago transferred the listing to Excel and used the spreadsheet tools to do various sorts and filters of the data, but it takes a while to do that, the transfer is not efficient, and the Excel version is useful for only a short while since the online listing keeps getting updated over time.  If I knew how to use Python I could write a script to extract and create my own easy to manipulate listing from it I suppose.

Not everybody needs a receiver that has high rejection of another station just 2 kHz away.  Sometimes we just need that high dynamic range for signals that are 20 kHz or 100 kHz away, such as when there is a powerful local station up the band.  But not always 2 kHz away.

One thing that confuses me about the Sherwood database is that some radios are listed multiple times, often with very different performance results, but with added notes that say things like "hardware updated" or "2nd sample" etc, and it's hard to know if Sherwood did those mods or it represents some kind of later production release of the same radio.

All in all, I am very happy that Sherwood has meticulously tested and documented all of these radios for us!  I just hope that someday there might be a sortable version available.

73, Ed VE3WGO
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2017, 02:32:33 PM »

NC0B provides a great service to the amateur community, but I agree that the 2KHz close in dynamic range metric has now gotten blown completely out of proportion.  Maybe if I had towers and stacks like K3LR I'd be more concerned, but for most ops it's silly to rank justification by that number alone.

Icom - call me if you'll offer the $1000 trade in allowance on my Drake TR7.  Still a top-5 100KHz blocking dynamic range rig by the way.   Cheesy 
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2017, 03:09:15 PM »

VE3WGO: Don't know if this works with Excel, but works fine with Open Office spreadsheet:  I went to the Sherwood listing, drug the mouse over the first 10 rows or so, hit the copy key, went to the spreadsheet with cursor on the first cell, hit the paste key.  With a few minutes of trimming out the unnecessary stuff, such as the Notes indicators, you have the spreadsheet and can sort it any way you wish.  Just tried it again and it works fine.

73, Floyd - K8AC
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2017, 07:19:36 PM »

Hey guys,

I've just completed a video overview of the IC-7610 menu structure, with commentary on the various settings and features.

Its quite long at almost 1 hour, so its still uploading but should be available soon at: https://youtu.be/0m1XzUtZt8E

At the end of the video is an example of strong signal received audio if anyone is interested, and it sounds almost identical to listening to the radio itself.

Thanks to everyone who has supported me in making these videos!  They seem popular, so I will be refining my setup and covering more radios in the future!

Please let me know what you'd like covered, and which radios you're interested in me reviewing.

Jarrad

PS.  Can't wait to hear some of the first US owners thoughts on the radio.

J.D. Mitchell - VK3BL / XU7AGA - http://vk3bl.wordpress.com
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2017, 08:38:31 PM »

HRO and DX Engineering are saying December delivery, so it sounds like a few weeks before shipments start in US.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2017, 02:46:21 AM »

Hey All,

I've just recorded a quick video demonstrating how the band scope works on the IC-7610; you can find it here:

https://youtu.be/q1T0vcvlN7E

I demonstrate all the different configurations, as well as covering a few 'gotchas' as well as finding what looks to be a bug!

I'll be putting up a video showing PSK31 operation with a keyboard soon too Smiley

73 all, and thanks for the support!

Jarrad VK3BL

VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2017, 04:25:55 AM »

Dear fellow Hams Smiley

I've just made a video demonstrating the IC-7610's PSK31 decoder and encoder!  Chris VK1CT was kind enough to have a sked with me, and his Android controlled FT-817 does a great job, as does the IC-7610.

Check it out here: https://youtu.be/QLVVWaktUrY

It really was a lot of fun; PSK31 is a great mode and I hope it makes a comeback when band conditions improve Smiley

Jarrad VK3BL

NN2X

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2017, 05:55:27 AM »

About pricing....How about comparing the ICOM 7610 (4K) with the ICOM 7700 (7K)

But there is no comparison chart...It could be that the ICOM 7610 is better at least with the RMDR specs..

Here is the graph comparison, (No comparing of 1COM 7700) / But has the the others ICOM rigs to compare against the ICOM 7610

http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7610/main.html
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2017, 06:21:07 AM »

A very nice looking radio.
KW4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2017, 08:45:34 AM »

Hey guys,

I've just completed a video overview of the IC-7610 menu structure, with commentary on the various settings and features.

Its quite long at almost 1 hour, so its still uploading but should be available soon at: https://youtu.be/0m1XzUtZt8E

At the end of the video is an example of strong signal received audio if anyone is interested, and it sounds almost identical to listening to the radio itself.

Thanks to everyone who has supported me in making these videos!  They seem popular, so I will be refining my setup and covering more radios in the future!

Please let me know what you'd like covered, and which radios you're interested in me reviewing.

Jarrad

PS.  Can't wait to hear some of the first US owners thoughts on the radio.

Jarrad, you have a great talent for producing very informative Youtube videos featuring the IC-7610.  Please keep up this valuable effort.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »

About pricing....How about comparing the ICOM 7610 (4K) with the ICOM 7700 (7K)

But there is no comparison chart...It could be that the ICOM 7610 is better at least with the RMDR specs..

Here is the graph comparison, (No comparing of 1COM 7700) / But has the the others ICOM rigs to compare against the ICOM 7610

http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7610/main.html

I'm not sure why you would even want to do that.  The IC-7700 is selling now at right around $5900.00 and change.  It was a contest radio that competed with the FTdx5000 but it is an old design and while still a very good radio, not the same thing as the IC-7610.  It is actually closer to the IC-7600 in terms of performance.  The IC-7610 is much better at close spaced (2KHZ) rejection of strong signals, I dislike using the term RMDR (Reciprocal Mixer Dynamic Range) for SDR because there is no mixing that takes place.   Digital signals are derived using a quadrature sampling detector that samples and quantizes the incoming signal, the I and Q bit streams are derived from the samples, there is no heterodyne mixing taking place.

Anyway, I think Icom is just trying to sell the rest of the 7700's and I don't know if they are still even producing them.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2017, 01:38:58 PM »

The IC-7700 is selling now at right around $5900.00 and change.

It is actually closer to the IC-7600 in terms of performance.  

I never understood why Icom made the IC-7700. It was not much better than the 7600 in performance and the 7700 lacks Dual Watch or a second RX, a huge mistake for Icom. Who wants a high dollar $6000 radio without 2RX or Dual Watch? No One??

Yes the cheaper 7600 does have Dual Watch..

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:42:06 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
WX0V

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2017, 06:32:24 PM »

HRO and DX Engineering are saying December delivery, so it sounds like a few weeks before shipments start in US.

The newest "updated" shipping date (via DX Engineering) I have is 12/15/17.

Then again, it was October/November 2017, then February 2018, then 11/21/17, then "the last week of November/first week of December", now 12/15/17...so who knows? Cheesy

We see them when we see them...

VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2017, 07:24:02 PM »

I never understood why Icom made the IC-7700. It was not much better than the 7600 in performance and the 7700 lacks Dual Watch or a second RX, a huge mistake for Icom. Who wants a high dollar $6000 radio without 2RX or Dual Watch? No One??

Yes the cheaper 7600 does have Dual Watch..

Stan K9IUQ

Stan, three differences from the IC-7610 that I'm aware of, aside from having just a single Rx, are that the IC-7700 has a 200 Watt (48 volts) transmitter PA, an internal power supply, and 4 antenna ports (in addition to the 2 Rx antenna ports).  I suppose it caters to a different set of users.

73, Ed VE3WGO

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2017, 09:39:15 PM »

VK3BL: How well does the 7610 hear on the LW and MW broadcast bands?
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: