The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-991A WSJT-X MAC YOSEMITE = NO AUDIO OUTPUT?  (Read 1032 times)
KE7KXS

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2017, 09:28:43 PM »

WSJT-X can communicate with the rig.

However, when transmitting, the radio only transmits the carrier, unmodulated.

What am I missing?

Thanks, Caesar.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »

Are you in upper Side Band DATA mode?
Bill, AA2UK
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 09:07:21 AM »

I would be willing to bet there is no unmodulated carrier being generated.  I would be willing to bet it just keys the rig.  Because if there was a carrier then by definition that is ONE of the tones necessary for operation.  So why would the program make one tone and not the others?  This doesn't make sense.  I suggest you examine the problem again.  We need much more information about your setup. 

A SSB radio when keyed ideally puts out zero power and has NO carrier.  If you SSB radio when keyed has full output then an Audio frequency tone must have been fed in to its modulation stage.  So why would WSJT feed your rig a single tone other than when using the TUNE function button?  Which is exactly what it does when you press the tune button.  It feeds the rig a single tone.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »

WSJTX with the tune button red (enabled) generates a single 1500hz tone. I think no TX audio is reaching the radio because the radio is looking for the digital tones in USB Data mode.
Have you seen this? http://blogzs1jen.dyndns.org:83/wsjt-x-config-for-ft-991/#comment-758
http://www.craigwilliams.com/radio/ft991a/index.html
Bill, AA2UK
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:41:33 AM by AA2UK » Logged
K7JBL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 06:53:28 PM »

WSJT-X can communicate with the rig.

However, when transmitting, the radio only transmits the carrier, unmodulated.

What am I missing?

Thanks, Caesar.

Make sure menu #106 (on my FT-991 with the latest firmware) shows "SSB Mic Select" is on "Rear," not "Mic." I forget to change mine once in a while. If it's set to "mic" the audio from the USB cable can't "find its way." :-)

Phil
K7JBL
KE7KXS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »

Definitely hit the nail on the SSM MIC Select setting, needed to be set to REAR.

I can see there is RF generated via the Power Output meter.

Oddly, I still can't hear modulation on the HT used as a monitor.

Well, as it were, you can't hear FT8 modulation!

In fact I made my first any digital contact whatsoever with FT8 yesterday with just 5W power. The contact was some 1100+ km away! Astounding.

I can hear maybe 20QSOs for every 10CQs I send, and make just 1 contact. I'm thinking my signal isn't coming out well. It's just a simple homebrew loaded vertical wire antenna.

I'm compensating transmit with about 10W power now to reach more distance. It's particularly quiet this time of day 10:24AM PST.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 05:18:31 PM »

Oddly, I still can't hear modulation on the HT used as a monitor.

HT as in FM?
Bill, AA2UK
KE7KXS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 10:07:29 AM »

Sorry for the delay. I set my HT to "Auto" mode, but it should be AM.
W0IEA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 08:14:09 AM »

I have the same problem with a different radio. I have the mfj-1204 interface using a TS850 running the WSJT-X software. I used this setup for a week, every thing working fine,  then no audio out. I changed radios to a TS450, still no audio. I checked the mic output in the interface with a scope, no audio. I called MFJ, they sent me a new unit. Still no audio. I am also using DXLAB rig control. There is a possibility something got screwed up with the USB,Com port. Not sure where to look, any ideas?
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »

Is the MFJ 1204 still getting power from your computers USB connection? Can you try a different USB connection at the computer?
In Case Of Trouble:
[ ] No Power to Interface: Remove the interface cover. If the sound card is
plugged in and receiving power, the red LED on the sound card module will be
illuminated. If it is not illuminated, check USB connection at the computer.
[ ] Communication Program not Working: Confirm the USB sound card has
been selected. Also, use a scope or AC voltmeter to confirm receive audio path
is good between the radio and the jumper block.

Bill, AA2UK
W0IEA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 12:13:55 PM »

Thanks for the reply to my post. The MFJ 1204 decodes okay, the light is lit. I have tried both USB ports. I have scoped the Mic pin on the header, there is no signal.
I have also reinstalled the software. I think there is a problem with the USB.  Not sure what though. I will delete the usb port and let it reload and see what happens.
73 Jack
W0IEA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 01:03:25 PM »

Follow up:
I uninstalled the usb device and it's driver and then reinstalled them. Sill no audio out.
I am not sure what device driver is or should me installed the first time the interface is plugged in.
Running out of ideas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: