The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phone Sweepstakes This Weekend  (Read 3545 times)
K3TN

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2017, 02:34:56 AM »

The ARRL Sweepstakes Phone contest is this coming weekend, starting at 2100Z - full details here.

A few years ago I put together a short document as a guide to Sweepstakes - you can find that on the Potomac Valley Radio Club website here.

73 John K3TN

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:56:22 AM by N2MG » Logged

John K3TN
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 10:05:51 AM »

I had fun playing in SS SSB this past weekend.  I'm a CW op but have been trying to sharpen my SSB contesting skills.  Spent 20 hours to make 804/80 contacts for about 128,000 points.  My station has all low hanging wire antennas.  I ran full legal limit power. My amp hissed at me a couple times because its not used to running in the phone bands.  Had two nice extended runs with decent rates on 80 and 40 meters which was allot of fun.  Fun !

I ran across one op that was speaking so fast I had no idea what he was saying !  Sounded like an auctioneer.  Equivalent to a CW op running 40 WPM.  Funny !
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:18:45 AM by N3HEE » Logged

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »

I ran across one op that was speaking so fast I had no idea what he was saying !  Sounded like an auctioneer.  Equivalent to a CW op running 40 WPM.  Funny !

Many phone contest ops mistakenly believe that if the talk faster, they'll get in more Q's per hour.
But if you listen to them for a while, you'll hear that whatever "advantage" they get by talking fast is more than offset by their need to repeat info that's missed on the other end.  Wink
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 03:45:49 PM »

Joe,

I think I know the very fast-talking op you were referring to. His recording was so fast it was a blur. I made him repeat the exchange three times--the only time I asked for a repeat all weekend--and I assure you I was not the only one.

This was my first phone Sweepstakes in years and I did enjoy the very limited amount of time I was able to operate. Missed ND and PR as well as what should have been easy ones: three of the Florida sections and next-door Mississippi.  Did better in the CW version, missing only PR and, of all places, NNY.

Also, funny to listen to the "contests are the ruination of our hobby" guys whose regular roundtables were disturbed, even if the contester had been there for hours before they fired up. Especially funny were the couple of stations I heard who had obviously cranked up their audio processing to "11" to try to clear out a frequency for the group.  And admitted it right there on the air. Although there was plenty of activity, I still heard plenty of open spots for those who wanted to ragchew or whatever.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 02:49:38 AM »

I activated the University of Maryland School Club station call, W3EAX, and got to give out a CK of 33! One nice YL op, who apparently didn't know a PREC of S meant "School" said "Wow - you sound really young to have been licensed in '33!"

Nice to work many station with CKs starting with 0 or 1! Only made 123 QSOs in a short effort but also worked 3 NNY stations - I guess just not many CW ops there!

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 12:12:09 PM »

Only made 123 QSOs in a short effort but also worked 3 NNY stations - I guess just not many CW ops there!

73 John K3TN

The perennial staiton, K2NNY is no longer.  Apparently no one realized that until late on Sunday, when someone got on and there was a tremendous pileup for NNY.   That was likely why several NNY stations got on for SSB.   

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: