The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hazard of Knowledge  (Read 4928 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2017, 02:43:13 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I feel somedays I am to smart for my own good. I have also noticed JEALOUSY. Just saying..73ssss
I will experiance JEALOUSY when I start using my Icom 7300 the Bestus radio with AWESOME Receive and Awesome AUDIO. 10-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdz8WlCqmCs&list=FLVdsQNtCrwd6ZgYrTfXBTBA&index=30

Stop it!

Now I regret telling you about the HRO deal. I wonder if you'll actually buy it or just talk about getting it and keeping everyone guessing for days.

Why don't you go and derail THAT thread
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,117690.0.html

Instead of derailing this one...

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2017, 09:22:27 AM »

Somewhere out there in cyberspace is clip of Dilbert taken to the doctor by his mother. She complains that he 'took things apart and built a ham radio with the parts'. Then the young Dilbert fixes the ECG. The doctor says that Dilbert will grow up anti-social.....the mother asks what can be don and was told 'Nothing - he'll be an engineer!'

I'm in HB land right now, looking after ham radio interests at the ITU. When I get home, I'll see if I have the URL for it.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2017, 01:55:27 AM »

Peter, that's an easy one:

Dilbert (The Knack)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6HojLBsnw

The link is of course safe for work Smiley

Peter DL8OV
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2017, 07:01:50 PM »

I saw that one!  A classic!!
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »

Dilbert (The Knack)

Peter DL8OV

Awesome! I guess I was too young to remember that trip to the Doctor's office  Grin

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2017, 04:29:35 PM »

Dilbert (The Knack)

Peter DL8OV

Even my XYL got a giggle out of that one!  Cheesy

Very nice!

Will Rogers
K5WLR
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »

As an EE one of my initial experiences in the lab was in witnessing an exchange between another engineer and our lead engineer/department manager.

This other person was tasked with designing a PLL circuit for a modem . Since we all had desks in this one big lab I could see him over there, with his slide rule (yes, that dates me) and a pile of papers as he sweated out the calculations for this circuit.

A couple of days later the lead engineer came through our room to stop by and ask each of us how our respective projects were going. John (this other engineer) was waving around a fist full of papers and excitedly explaining how he determined the exact values of every component that were needed for this XR-2211A chip. Our boss raised his hand and asked him to pause in his words and said "why didn't you just go to the datasheet and use the example schematic and a bunch of commonly used caps and a resistor decade box to find the values?".

John came up with something worthy of a doctoral thesis when all we needed was a technician's answer.

I took that to heart, and when I could find an easy answer I would start from there and use my education, and later experience, to verify. In my career I found that there was much more value in understanding the entire system and how things all interact and give you less than optimal results.

The lead engineer ended up being my professional mentor for several years. His approach to managing engineers was to treat us like we were interns in a hospital, doing the daily rounds. We all got to learn from each other and how to apply logic (in the right proportions) to solving problems with practical solutions.

We can design a space-ship but need to remember that it has to be built by cave-men with stone tools and then operated by monkeys.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:58:32 PM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2017, 06:29:02 PM »

As an EE one of my initial experiences in the lab was in witnessing an exchange between another engineer and our lead engineer/department manager.

This other person was tasked with designing a PLL circuit for a modem . Since we all had desks in this one big lab I could see him over there, with his slide rule (yes, that dates me) and a pile of papers as he sweated out the calculations for this circuit.

A couple of days later the lead engineer came through our room to stop by and ask each of us how our respective projects were going. John (this other engineer) was waving around a fist full of papers and excitedly explaining how he determined the exact values of every component that were needed for this XR-2211A chip. Our boss raised his hand and asked him to pause in his words and said "why didn't you just go to the datasheet and use the example schematic and a bunch of commonly used caps and a resistor decade box to find the values?".

John came up with something worthy of a doctoral thesis when all we needed was a technician's answer.

LOL!!!!  I knew more than one engineer who did exactly that -- calculated every component value down to 3 decimal places.  Newsflash:  Real components have tolerances, 1% at best in most cases, and if cost is a factor, then 5%.  Most engineers I worked with and for would have me (the engineering tech) do that data sheet dirty work for them, then we'd get the parts and build a prototype.

That's why we had libraries full of data books back in the day, and are now able to download data sheets at will.  Made life much easier.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2017, 05:53:37 AM »

....The lead engineer ended up being my professional mentor for several years. His approach to managing engineers was to treat us like we were interns in a hospital, doing the daily rounds. We all got to learn from each other and how to apply logic (in the right proportions) to solving problems with practical solutions.....
Excellent observation.  During the 80s, Kelly Johnson and Ben Rich would come to our base from the Lockheed Skunk Works plant, just to see how their cool jets were holding up.  Usually a small contingent of engineers and techs would accompany them.  Johnson was a tyrant to them, Rich not so much.  Each had a unique leadership style, and for as tough as Johnson was to be around, any of those guys would have taken a bullet for him, as they were that devoted to the man.

Some goober writing a thesis on organizational behavior would have a field day with that group.

DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2017, 09:04:49 AM »

"LOL!!!!  I knew more than one engineer who did exactly that -- calculated every component value down to 3 decimal places.  Newsflash:  Real components have tolerances, 1% at best in most cases, and if cost is a factor, then 5%"

I made this mistake when designing an ATU. 63.38pF capacitors are hard to find and I ended up using plenty of trimmers in the initial design then replacing them with the nearest value for the final working version, I still use it. One thing that newbies don't realize is that whilst precision has its place it isn't normally needed, arrange a sked on 7.05 MHz and I'll still find you on 7.051 MHz if there's QRM.

Peter DL8OV
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2017, 10:07:38 AM »

I knew more than one engineer who did exactly that -- calculated every component value down to 3 decimal places.  Newsflash:  Real components have tolerances, 1% at best in most cases, and if cost is a factor, then 5%.  Most engineers I worked with and for would have me (the engineering tech) do that data sheet dirty work for them, then we'd get the parts and build a prototype.

That's why we had libraries full of data books back in the day, and are now able to download data sheets at will.  Made life much easier.

The real design trick is figuring out what components need what tolerances. And how the performance will be affected by variations - including the worst case (which may not be "all components are at the low end of their tolerance range" nor "all components are at the high end of their tolerance range"

73 de Jim, N2EY
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2017, 10:26:05 AM »

We can design a space-ship but need to remember that it has to be built by cave-men with stone tools and then operated by monkeys.

Good one Tisha, I need to remember that one...
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2017, 12:01:41 AM »

WOW.
Really.
EXACTLY.
Carry on. I know the feelings of the hazzards of to much Knowledge.  Wow.73ss. GOD BLESS ALL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHQ_aTjXObs
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:04:16 AM by KC8KTN » Logged
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2017, 12:21:44 AM »

What would that be, exactly, Chuck?

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2017, 06:18:16 AM »

....the hazzards of to much Knowledge.......

Right on, and let's be careful out there, Chuckles.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: