The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting an ancient PC to work online  (Read 3607 times)
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 11:33:03 AM »

That allows you to download it via another PC that runs Windows 7 or 10 that have their antivirus to check it out for malware, and then copy it to your old XP machine via a USB stick or CD-ROM and install it from there. My old Dell has USB. You can get downloads of other software from a reliable site that I've used for years, MajorGeeks.com. They have the option of DLing from their site or from the software author. They publish their lists daily, and you able to download the latest virus definition updates from AVG, Avast, Avira. etc. as packages so that you can keep up your software to date, but not having to connect to the internet to do so.

Depending on what is needed, one may also get portable versions from portableapps.com. Easier to maintain and update, as they have less dependencies, and ramifications across the PC.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 12:02:09 PM »

English is not my first language, so my reading comprehension ability is far from perfect.

Youre doing better than many on here.

But I still maintain that while running Win XP today, and on old hardware, is doable, it doesn't take long before you run into difficulties.

It all depends upon the user and the PC. I have a more modern XP machine with SP4 and a dual core AMD that moves right along and is on the ham bench in the basement. I suspect the other one has the wrong motherboard architecture and if so I'll just have to figure a way around it; some of the programs were written on a 286 and 386 but most on an early Pentium One such as 90 mHz

You said all you want is to download AVG, CCleaner etc. Can't you get the stuff on a flash drive/cd, and install them from there?

It is long before USB and Flash Drives came along. Id have to see if the BIOS or MB will accept it and then find an adapter to a PCI slot....that is a last resort if at all.
OTOH I can do it with the CD's on both PC's. That is on the menu for later or tomorrow, Im busy outside today.

Carl
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 12:11:30 PM »

...some of the programs were written on a 286 and 386....

Now, that is old. Looks like you need a floppy drive.  Wink

It brings back memories of QEMM, and trying to squeeze extra memory from 640K of available RAM. I don't miss those days one bit. Angry
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 02:40:43 PM »

It brings back memories of QEMM, and trying to squeeze extra memory from 640K of available RAM. I don't miss those days one bit. Angry

I vaguely remember. with a 486, that you could stash drivers and such in a location of memory you could not usually access on a 286.  Something about an error in Intel chips about address line A20...
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 04:24:01 AM »

English is not my first language, so my reading comprehension ability is far from perfect.

You're doing better than many on here.

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

It is long before USB and Flash Drives came along. Id have to see if the BIOS or MB will accept it and then find an adapter to a PCI slot....that is a last resort if at all.

Carl, your message reminds me that I bought a PCI card at work, for my machine, must have been 12 years ago or more, that fit a PCI slot and provided 3 USB ports, two on a front panel and one internally on the card itself.  "Orange" was the name of the company, if my feeble old memory is working this morning.  Maybe you could find one of those on an auction site or old-hardware sales site.  73!  --ken
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 05:52:32 AM »

Youre doing better than many on here.

But I still maintain that while running Win XP today, and on old hardware, is doable, it doesn't take long before you run into difficulties.

It all depends upon the user and the PC. I have a more modern XP machine with SP4 and a dual core AMD that moves right along and is on the ham bench in the basement. I suspect the other one has the wrong motherboard architecture and if so I'll just have to figure a way around it; some of the programs were written on a 286 and 386 but most on an early Pentium One such as 90 mHz

You said all you want is to download AVG, CCleaner etc. Can't you get the stuff on a flash drive/cd, and install them from there?

OTOH I can do it with the CD's on both PC's. That is on the menu for later or tomorrow, Im busy outside today.

Carl
You may be out of luck on the USB thing.....
I'm really surprised you can even get updates for XP these days.
I still have my SP-1 to SP-3 CDs around here.

Old computers get repurposed here, I have one that will be doing remote control for my Micom 2-ET. 

Keep those old computers running and out of the landfill. Smiley

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 10:38:07 AM »

Its hard to find decent sound cards for SDR Panadapters , The best ones are still the old "PRO" cards which use a PCI slot. A lot of the newer motherboards dont have full width PCI slots. So those old machines have some uses .

What's wrong with USB?

Professional-grade 24/192 cards do quite well over USB3 these days.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 10:45:50 AM »

Its hard to find decent sound cards for SDR Panadapters , The best ones are still the old "PRO" cards which use a PCI slot. A lot of the newer motherboards dont have full width PCI slots. So those old machines have some uses .

What's wrong with USB?

These ancient PCs probably don't even have USB2, let alone USB3.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »

Problem solved for $5 shipped
https://tinyurl.com/y8j5hhqb

Carl
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »

Problem solved for $5 shipped
https://tinyurl.com/y8j5hhqb

Carl

And if you want to past proof you current PC, buy a card with serial ports. That's what I did. Wink
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 04:35:51 AM »

Good deal Carl.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 11:49:51 AM »

What's wrong with USB?

First you need to find a a card that has  nice flat response out to 48 khz  with no filtering on the input  to get 96khz of bandwidth . most have 22 to 24 khz filters  on the input  limiting the useable bandwidth to around 44 -48 khz . There is a little behringer  that i have not tried but with 2 keyboards, mouse, wireless lan, two softrock ensembles, 2 sabrent sound devices , the winkeyer AND thats after i took the 2 SignalLinks off.  just where am i supposed to plug it in? fortunately the radios are 232. open slots? 2 delta 44s ,  2 Geforce 7200 s. Don't get me started on  USB hubs.

But the primary issue is the input filtering after all they're sound cards not DAQs. RTL SDR would be the way to go except they dont go low enough and sensitivity may be an issue.

I think what most people do with the older machines is install Linux and then run DOS programs under DOSBox .

KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 03:25:20 PM »

I think what most people do with the older machines is install Linux and then run DOS programs under DOSBox .

Converting old notebooks, lap and desktops to Neversoft's CloudReady is another way to extend life. I was given an old HP laptop with an early AMD dual core that was a real dog. With the conversion it sings right along for my needs. The HD is no longer used but it has two USB ports I can use for storage.

I use it in the BR in the middle of the night thru the Comcast Wi-Fi when I cant get back to sleep for a few hours. Use headphones for some oldies music and read a book.
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »

I would have thought that Pentium would have IDE slots rather than PCI. My old Dell, and my home - assembled "tower" , now on its 3rd motherboard are IDE. I keep my old boards, my stash of USB rear panel slot adapters are a mix of USB 1.1 and 2.0. Anybody need one?

Ted, KX4OM
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 12:33:47 PM »

Only 2 IDE slots (modem and audio), 5 PCI and one AGP. Supports PII 350-450 mHz, P III 450-500 mHz, plus Celeron 266-433 mHz.

MB is a 1997 A-Bit BH6.

And guess what? It has two USB connectors but the old -1 type
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: