The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting an ancient PC to work online  (Read 3287 times)
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2017, 03:10:29 PM »

Only 2 IDE slots (modem and audio), 5 PCI and one AGP. Supports PII 350-450 mHz, P III 450-500 mHz, plus Celeron 266-433 mHz.

MB is a 1997 A-Bit BH6.

And guess what? It has two USB connectors but the old -1 type
Single or DD ? single sided or double floppy ? 5 1/4 or 8in ? 2.5MB Winchester ? les see ....Windows XP.... that came on cassette tape right?   I remember when lower case characters cost extra......after a while it all starts to run together. I got a 386 MoBo around here somewhere. I think i threw the Commode Dore 128 out  Huh
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2017, 03:37:32 PM »

les see ....Windows XP.... that came on cassette tape right?

Punch cards.  XP Pro came on Stringy Floppy. Grin

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2017, 05:42:23 PM »

It has only 784 MB RAM, a R and a R-W CD, a floppy, and a pair of 60 GB HD's which were added later. I started in 97 with WIN 95, and a single 20 GB HD and one R only CD.

It boots faster than the Win 7 Pro 64 with an i7 quad core and 16 GB RAM. Very little Windoze and other bloatware to slow it down. Ive always liked this PC and the BH6 MB was a favorite of the DIY builders and is still available.

I do have a NOS Compaq "portable" which is even older but never turned on. All the Commodore, 286 and 386 stuff is long gone but a high end 486 MB is around somewhere plus some early K5 and K6 AMD attempts. Most of this stuff will be shoveled into trash barrels soon.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2017, 07:43:22 PM »

Its hard to find decent sound cards for SDR Panadapters , The best ones are still the old "PRO" cards which use a PCI slot. A lot of the newer motherboards dont have full width PCI slots. So those old machines have some uses .

What's wrong with USB?

Professional-grade 24/192 cards do quite well over USB3 these days.

These ancient PCs probably don't even have USB2, let alone USB3.

I don't tend to keep computers longer than 5 years  Grin
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2017, 07:50:09 PM »

Its hard to find decent sound cards for SDR Panadapters , The best ones are still the old "PRO" cards which use a PCI slot. A lot of the newer motherboards dont have full width PCI slots. So those old machines have some uses .

What's wrong with USB?

Professional-grade 24/192 cards do quite well over USB3 these days.

These ancient PCs probably don't even have USB2, let alone USB3.

I don't tend to keep computers longer than 5 years  Grin

I do, as long as they're 64-bit machines and all hardware is still working. 

I trashed my last 32 bit PC, an Asus EeePC 900 that was 8 years old, last week when the Wifi and Ethernet hardware both died.  No networking, no life in my house.  I still have Acer nettop machines that are 7-8 years old that are still serviceable, but both are 64 bit boxes.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2017, 04:00:42 AM »

There are several small Linux versions that run well on older computers. Some even as small as 100Mb.
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2017, 07:41:54 AM »

There are several small Linux versions that run well on older computers. Some even as small as 100Mb.

I tried to install Win XP SP1 on one of my machines and it promptly upgraded its self . Now everything is running KUBUNTU 14.04 LTS  because it does what i tell it to. I keep one Fedora/ Win 7 drive , when i have to use Winders . Been like that for 5 years ? now. I looking for a cheap WD 1 T or 500MB drive to put 64 bit KUBU or Debian on.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2017, 07:45:55 AM »

I tried to install Win XP SP1 on one of my machines and it promptly upgraded its self . Now everything is running KUBUNTU 14.04 LTS...

My first read was that Win XP had upgraded itself to Kubuntu. I did not know Windows had acquired such intelligence. LOL
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2017, 08:45:25 AM »

My first read was that Win XP had upgraded itself to Kubuntu. I did not know Windows had acquired such intelligence.

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: