The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP Frequencies -- What's the solution?  (Read 4609 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2017, 10:04:36 AM »

EEE:  You can can me a LID, old fart.....whatever, but my license allows me to operate anywhere within a ham band. using the accepted MODE. 

If I tune across a QRP station on  one of the "QRP frequencies" I call him (assuming he's sending with his right foot and not his left) running the power that I'm tuned up with. If I find myself on a "QRP frequency and it's clear, I'll call CQ. 

Who knows, maybe someone with minimum copy skills will enjoy hearing a loud signal to ease their copy and lessen their stress level.

As for WSPR....I'm not quite sure what that is and really couldn't care less nor do I care what frequency they operate on. 

To clarify my position, I really am getting tired of this my/our frequency BS! I'm really getting tired of the sniveling, whining, foot stamping PC demands slowly being introduced into ham radio.

When the FCC officially hacks up the ham bands into segments to appease all modes or methods (other than what is now the "rules of the road") of operation, I'm finding something else to do.

EEE, would you mind breaking your retort up into chapters so I can get to bed tonight and know where to pick it up tomorrow?  Thank you in advance.

VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2017, 01:34:32 PM »

EEE:  You can can me a LID, old fart.....whatever, but my license allows me to operate anywhere within a ham band. using the accepted MODE. 

In VK the bible is called the LCD, it tells me what I can do and how i can do it and nowhere in the LCD does it spell out band plans. All band plans are by gentlemans agreement and nothing more. The fact that so many people abide by band plans most of the time kind of says to me that even in this age of ME ME ME I Will Do What I Want, most radio amateurs are generally a pretty good bunch of people who do not want to impede the enjoyment of others.

Obviously there are times when band plans go out the window, like when bands are wide open with multiple paths on contest weekends, but lets face it, that really is an exception. It is for these very reasons why I am against laws that restrict use of certain frequencies. Our gentlemans agreement band plans are flexible for those few times a year when things go bonkers and one group or another needs a little more space than the plan allows for.

For the most part, what we have works and serves its purpose and most people consider others in their own operating, if the needs of most are met most of the time then it would seem to me that there is no problem at all that needs to be solved.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2017, 04:02:14 PM »

AXW if you insist "LID/whatever", but you're not NEW to ham radio, but then you said you don't CARE but for the rest of us we all know that the QRP frequencies were around since at least 40 years and are still there. But you don't care about others, so I'm putting you on my ignore list. Rarely does anything of value come from you.

FFAB given past experiences but just this: 0.4 kHz during a major contest can be avoided, 0.2 for WSPR and 0.2 for QRP, it's not that we're that short of frequencies.

WB0CJB a sensible view in a thread that has been baited by trolls, and after this, let them have at it. Clearly they pretend to be stupid. Contests contain rules of course, and it's up to the contest rules to determine which parts of the band can be used. This has become more relaxed over the years.

No matter all those with inferiority complexes manifest in bellicose statements that "i'll do as I like" in reality none of them do: they stick to the band plans. No matter that these are called "Gentlemen's agreements" and they derided them, in an era of few gentlemen, even they abide by them. They just don't like the science behind it.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »

FFAB given past experiences but just this: 0.4 kHz during a major contest can be avoided, 0.2 for WSPR and 0.2 for QRP, it's not that we're that short of frequencies.

Isn't that kind of the point of the WARC bands, to be a safe haven away from the unwashed masses on contest weekends?
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2017, 10:14:37 PM »

Somebody please tell EEE that "i am happy to be on his ignore list."  You can also add that at one time I felt quite differently but the situation on the bands has gotten completely our of hand and I no longer care!  Thank you....to whoever provides this service.
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2017, 06:56:28 AM »

Remembering that the subject line is in reference to what the solution is to the qrp "problem, I have to admit that I think/hope my biggest problem is the noise level on the bands. I'm contemplating a better, outside antenna.

After sending out about 50 CQ's and receiving no answers from either 40. 30 or 15 meters I'm wondering if the noise level isn't letting me hear an answer. I can hear qso's going on throughout the bands, but they're obviously not qrp sigs. I'm seriously considering going back to something stronger than 5 watts. ... sigh ... I don't want to be a quitter!

According to the specs given for the rig, it should be hearing a fairly low db signal. Reading these threads, I'm almost afraid to try going off the "recommended QRP freq's". Hi

Ye Gads! I just remembered complaining about the "Donald Duck" sigs back in the 60's. Aren't we ever satisfied? Hi

Charlie

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »

UIM:  To relieve the frustration of no CQ answers, call someone and make a  contact or two.  One of the frustrating aspects of QRP is getting someone who has the skill and patience to respond to a weak signal.  It seems that most guys want to hear "arm chair copy."

Don't give up man. This is QRP at it's worst...it can only get better!   Grin

Consider another form of antenna. Some antennas seem to be susceptible to noise, either QRM or N.
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2017, 11:29:04 AM »

<hidden text>Sound of tiny patter as tear drop lands on desk top>End hidden text>
Well,,,, OK, but I'm still thinking of going to a high power (25 or 30 watts max) if it doesn't improve!
Charlie
On edit: Gonna speak to the lil darling about unsightly outside antenna.
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2017, 02:26:48 PM »

<hidden text>Sound of tiny patter as tear drop lands on desk top>End hidden text>
Well,,,, OK, but I'm still thinking of going to a high power (25 or 30 watts max) if it doesn't improve!
Charlie
On edit: Gonna speak to the lil darling about unsightly outside antenna.

Hang in there, first thing I would do is check RBN, you are not being picked up there, self spotting as /qrp helps alert people to your presence, next is time of day, grey line obviously for best chances of success, and then make sure your antenna is the most efficient it can be. The other night here on 15 I worked a bunch of EU and Middle East with 10w SSB and a dipole, but nothing on CW, I called and called, no rbn spots, no one else calling.

Personally i stay away from call frequencies and hotspots, find myself somewhere clear and then self spot on the cluster, or call some big gun with big antennas, it usually yields some results. YMMV

WAIT, you are using an indoor antenna? That is going to be 1/2 the problem, you need something efficient even if its just a couple of dipoles outside. I have 1 antenna only its a 40m dipole and i use it for 40 and 15m, the only 2 bands i operate on. Its not even high in the air, just 6m off the ground, its not a qrp ops dream but does ok.

http://www.reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/dxsd1.php?f=0&c=K3UIM&t=dx
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 02:31:35 PM by VK4FFAB » Logged
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2017, 06:59:50 PM »

I think if you are QRP and you are not making contacts and you are using an indoor antenna, the antenna is 95% of your problem! I have a simple dipole and I have almost 200 DXCC on QRP. You don't need big thick wire, but the thinner it is the easier it is to break. If you have a house, I suggest a end-fed-half wavelength antenna for the most popular QRP band, 40 meters. It is 66 feet of wire (could be magnet wire) going out of your shack as high as possible!! This wire connects to the rig (or antenna tuner), and use a 33 foot long "counterpoise" wire as a ground. I do this QRP/p all the time, and I work Europe from East Coast USA regularly with 3 watts . Magnet wire is almost invisible. If she gets used to THIS, eventually she can get used to RR174 and you can put up an outdoor fan-dipole for 40/20 (also magnet wire) and then when she is broken down completely replace the RG174 with ladder-line and you are  S E T!!!

paul
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2017, 09:52:08 PM »

Please tie things to the invisible wire for the birds so they don't decapitate themselves, if you can avoid your own decapitation by XYL.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2017, 01:00:38 AM »

Paul,
I'd guess you went to Buffalo in the early 60's, or late 50's, from your call letters.

EEE,
Very wise words, and I'd guess from another married man who knows what he's talking about! Hi.
Charlie
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: