The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reverse BEACON network - Help!  (Read 548 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2017, 07:31:52 AM »

For years I used the RBN and very much enjoyed its possibilities.  I use a Dell, w.7, that is currently equipped with IE 11.
Apparently the IE  software upgrades periodically but Im not sure when it was last done.

Maybe one year ago I stopped being able to access RBN.  It comes up, but when I type in a callsign, it hangs up and goes no further.

Now, not being very computer literate, I cant seem to get past that.

Ive heard there may be some compatability issues between IE 11 and RBN, so I next tried to download  Google Chrome, recommended as a much more  compatable browser.  Well, I am unable to even download from the Chrome website,  It too hangs up. 

I use Norton A/V. 

Help in  getting past  my RBN issue would be appreciated.  Also, why cant I install  Chrome?    Thanks.

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 10:41:52 AM »

For years I used the RBN and very much enjoyed its possibilities.  I use a Dell, w.7, that is currently equipped with IE 11.
Apparently the IE  software upgrades periodically but Im not sure when it was last done.

Maybe one year ago I stopped being able to access RBN.  It comes up, but when I type in a callsign, it hangs up and goes no further.

Ive heard there may be some compatability issues between IE 11 and RBN, so I next tried to download  Google Chrome, recommended as a much more  compatable browser.  Well, I am unable to even download from the Chrome website,  It too hangs up. 

I use Norton A/V. 

Help in  getting past  my RBN issue would be appreciated.  Also, why cant I install  Chrome?    Thanks.

It may be a catch 22 situation. If the problem is really IE, it may also be preventing you from downloading Chrome. Just another option, try downloading Firefox.

The anti-virus could be part of the problem. Try disabling it just to access the RBN, or downloading Chrome. Don't forget to re-enable it after the test.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 11:06:36 AM »

I use Norton A/V. 

If Norton isn't configured to allow HTTP access to the RBN, it won't matter what web browser you are using.

One way to test for interference from your firewall or anti-malware applications is to reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking", and then see if you can access the RBN. When booted in theis manner, Windows won't automatically start your firewall or your anti-malware applications. If you can now access the RBN, then you know where the problem likely lies: reboot Windows into "normal" mode, and properly configure your firewall and anti-malware applications.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 05:45:20 PM »

Thanks to all who replied.  Im not comfortable getting in and  playing with  computer settings, so I called in my son, after turkey, to look at things.  He's a programmer.  What he believes is happaening  is:  since Im using W7 which is no longer supported, IE is having more and more problems  with internet websites.  they occur seemingly randomly, but gum up the system so to speak.

So he installed Firefox II to replace IE.  I was immediately able to  download  my favorite adblocking software ( again), and access RBN no problems the first time. 

Im also able to access some other  sites I have used but was having problems with.

In my case, the problems began about 6 months ago.  Dont know why.  Just chalked it up to   other sites no longer working well  with IE.

SO, for those of you  like me who were still using IE, and are having connectivity problems similar to mine,   dump IE for Chrome or Firefox.  You too may see a world of difference

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 05:52:59 PM »

SO, for those of you  like me who were still using IE, and are having connectivity problems similar to mine,   dump IE for Chrome or Firefox.  You too may see a world of difference

It has been said before. IE has one use only, to download Chrome or Firefox on a new Windows installation. Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: