The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why "machine gun" high speed CW  (Read 3284 times)
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 08:31:42 AM »

2 tablets Zoloft every day fixes it (disables your brain).
 Grin

A sense of humor works well also, but you can't get it in tablet form. Yet.
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 10:07:23 AM »

But you can. 50mg tablets.
https://www.drugs.com/zoloft.html
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 10:50:27 AM »

Four fingers of "Old Stump Blower" will do the same as one Zoloft.  What's more you don't need a prescription.  Available only in WV, KY and AK.
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 12:18:49 PM »

Sorry, I am from Denmark (the country not the Aussie town ;-). What is "old Stump Blower"??
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 12:32:58 PM »

Sorry, I am from Denmark (the country not the Aussie town ;-). What is "old Stump Blower"??

"old stump blower"  is a colloquialism for moonshine whiskey.  Or homemade whiskey, that might be more suitable for blowing stumps out of the ground than drinking.  Powerful stuff Smiley   
Of course no one actually used whiskey to blow stumps out of the ground, but the gist of it is to convey that this is a pretty potent drink. 
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 01:31:32 PM »

Truthfully, what sounds like 'machine gun' fast Morse to some people, is perfectly normal to many people.  It's like my listening to operators in languages which I have only a working knowledge of; it seems impossibly fast, but not to the native speakers.

For 'head copy' conversational Morse, I find that faster is easier to retain and better for conversation than slower. When it's too slow, I must write it down to remember what the other fellow sent.

73 de Ray  ..._  ._
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »

Learning morse code is quite a challenge. QRQ is just yet another big challenge. Just look at the HST championships.

That's the beauty of this hobby. Even when you have "tried everything" another challenge awaits.
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 01:18:13 PM »

Because at 20wpm you hear letters, 30+ WPM you start to hear words.  It's transformational. Mark K5LXP

I agree with Mark K5LXP 100%
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 04:02:09 PM »

As for "machine gun CW" I have no problem with fellas enjoying it if they can.  I can't.  But the world does not revolve around me. If they are sending good CW and I want to "snoop", I can always use a decoder to listen in. Do I wish I could head copy fast CQ?  You bet I do.  But that is no one else's problem but my own.  So not that you need it, but you high speed guys have my blessing.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2017, 05:22:58 AM »

I, agree with K0UA comment about CW. 

Because of my handicap (rare form related to MS), can only perform CW at 12wpm-even though have been licensed over 47-years Sad .   Oh well!

[Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving]

Ken, KC8Y
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2017, 05:34:58 AM »

Bless you Ken OM,

I keep saying it is not the speed nor the "perfection" of CW that matters, but everyone getting on air and not ever criticizing someone else's CW. You never know the reasons they cannot sent faster, easier or more "perfect". Instead, we should criticize our own inability to copy any particular CW and see that as a fun challenge if it varies significantly from the "norm". Sadly, there are those that vociferously and vehemently disagree. No matter how often you read the opinion to the contrary, I'm sure that most dedicated CW operators the world over are very happy to work you and have you on the air, so congratulations on being on air over 47 years and still going strong!

Does your MS handicap mean that you can copy CW at faster speeds, but because of the movement control problem you cannot send faster without risk of errors? If so, I think you will have many stations not realizing that you can receive a lot faster than you can send, but even if they send slowly you can still enjoy the CW or send them "QRQ" even if they then wonder why you cannot go faster yourself.

Do you use keyer or straight key? Keyboard is not much fun I guess and just as difficult.

73 de LouEEE

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
KD8ZM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2017, 04:54:08 PM »

Bragging rights, my friend. Bragging rights.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2017, 02:45:42 PM »

One man's machine gun is another man's single-shot... Speed limits on the bands?  (Please don't mention that idea to the ARRL... they may run with it!) 

73  Roll Eyes
KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 03:03:32 PM »

The opposite of "machine gun" CW seems to be what I'm hearing on the
new Ham band (USA) allocations (630 meters and 2200 meters).  I don't
know why, but the average CW speed on those bands seems to be 10 wpm.

73, and happy listening

Bob
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 04:03:22 PM »

Better than nothing! There's even QRSS which is SO SLOW that it is unreadable by the human brain. I think there exists even QRSS at 5WPH (five words per HOUR)!

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: