The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bluetooth & CW  (Read 912 times)
N4SRN

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2017, 09:08:07 AM »

I'm finding that use of iPhones, iPad, PCs with CW apps suffer when using Bluetooth. It appears that BT has some "latency" that disrupts the timing. ARe there any Bluetooth solution?

Yes, wired headphones, etc., but I'm really only looking for a BT solution.

Bret/N4SRN

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 10:16:47 AM »

I'm really only looking for a BT solution.
Bret/N4SRN

Ironic, it seems to me, and really quite funny.

Bottom line: CW is 19th and 20th Century techology. A simpler time. Better possibly, but today we seem to have lost track.

Understanding this may be helpful in a very practical way, as in "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction" (E.F. Schumacher of Small Is Beautiful), or "Life is really simple but we insist on making it complicated" (Confucius), or "Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy" (Isaac Newton) or "A child of five could understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five" (Groucho).
N4SRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 02:48:48 PM »

I understand your point and have EF Shumacher’s books in my collection, as well as Buckminster Fuller’s books.

I use a 50cal Pennsylvania flintlock longrifle and 300AAC Blackout Tavor X95 bull pup rifle.
I use a 7ft bamboo Japanese longbow, an Olympic recurve bow and a carbon fiber compound bow.
I use a folded/forged steel katana (Samurai Sword) and a zirconium oxide ceramic tanto knife.

My appreciation of old ways is not diminished by my use of modern technology. But I’ll agree, one has to know the time and place for the traditional and modern.

Bret/N4SRN

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 04:06:16 PM »

Look for "low latency" bluetooth equipment.  Still has a delay of 25-35mS but regular bluetooth can be 250mS.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 05:06:23 PM »

I've heard legends of The Ancient Ones, who would use earphones and their ears to understand Morse code, and their hand to send....  perhaps it's only a legend.

73 es ZUT de Ray  ..._  ._
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 07:40:05 PM »

Beautiful and educational thread Smiley

I don't think BT *can* be used easily with CW. I've tried, and I have used it to monitor when around the house, but there is a delay, so even with a small delay at high speed CW that is a problem: on a keyer one generally needs to hear very much "live" one's sending. Any delay is very confusing.

Even on the normal land line telephone there is a delay!!!(*) Who would have thought that?! I don't know WHY that is. Perhaps when Tim VK3IM and Lou VK5EEE have a phone conversation it has to be routed via Langley to ensure the CW Revolution is not a threat?  Grin

Seriously, we have often had QSO while being on the phone at the same time. Sometimes we can't hear each other due to skip zone, and are having joint DX QSOs, or sometimes we start on one or the other comes added in for some reason.

*) Come to think of it: it is mostly likely a cordless phone, so again, the delay. Maybe if we did not have any cordless phone there would be no noticeable delay.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 08:10:35 AM »

I've heard legends of The Ancient Ones...
73 es ZUT de Ray  ..._  ._

They held deep knowledge of The Code within their skulls rather than packed with their other "smarts" in their portable telephones. Skulls were as much as 7.5 inches in diameter instead of the trendy 1.5 inches of today's svelt pinhead look.

Connections from key to transmitter, from transmitter to antenna, and the antenna itself, were made of long pieces of copper wires--copper being a metal that was used by many early civilizations even before bronze.

But seriously, folks, one of the most lively aspects of evolved CW operating is QSK. At an earlier time, with separate receivers and transmitters, QSK was implemented differently from the way it is now with solid state switching. Even a few millisecond
delay would make QSK impossible.

QSK allows for instant interaction and it's unique to CW.

There are good reasons for keeping things simple; not because simple is easy--it's not. Achieving simplicity often is extremely challenging and difficult. When it is achieved it is often beautiful. A la E.F. Schumacher.
challenging
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:29:45 AM by KE6EE » Logged
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 08:43:32 AM »

Both the sender and the receiver will have to be low latency. BT is aimed at music listeners. Latency doesn't affect that. The newest tech has low latency though.

If I could eliminate all the BT I have I'd be happier. The XYL uses a BT headset for TV. It's unpredictable if it's going to need a reconnect after charging and it took a lot of tries to find out what really worked to connect vs what the instruction said. BT tends to be consumer-grade stuff that, technically speaking, isn't too great. I have some Sennheiser 800MHz FM connected phones [rx only] with a sender that is powered from a wall adapter and those are great.

What's with all these jerks that don't like CW? Kick my dog, kick me, no?

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: