The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dual receive with Flex 6400 ?  (Read 1299 times)
K6UJ

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2017, 10:39:53 AM »

I am interested in the new Flex 6400 that is coming out.  I see that I can work split, listen on one VFO and transmit on  the other.  How about full dual receive, listen on both VFO's simultaneously ?  On my Elecraft K3 with two receivers I could work split by listening to the DX freq in the left headphone and listen to the pileup freq in the right earphone.  This possible with the 6400 or do I need the 6600 ?

Bob
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 08:19:23 PM »

I am interested in the new Flex 6400 that is coming out.  I see that I can work split, listen on one VFO and transmit on  the other.  How about full dual receive, listen on both VFO's simultaneously ?  On my Elecraft K3 with two receivers I could work split by listening to the DX freq in the left headphone and listen to the pileup freq in the right earphone.  This possible with the 6400 or do I need the 6600 ?

Bob

On the 6400, you can listen to two frequencies from the SAME antenna.
The 6400 has one front end and antenna switch circuit for the inputs.

On the 6600, you have two front ends, as well as multiple receivers, so
you can listen to TWO DIFFERENT ANTENNAS at the same time for
diversity.  But of course, you can also listen to different frequencies.

But in the 6400, you can not do diversity,  all receivers/VFOs will share
the single front end, switched to ONE antenna.

Cheers.
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 09:10:53 PM »

Bob

On the 6400, you can listen to two frequencies from the SAME antenna.
The 6400 has one front end and antenna switch circuit for the inputs.

On the 6600, you have two front ends, as well as multiple receivers, so
you can listen to TWO DIFFERENT ANTENNAS at the same time for
diversity.  But of course, you can also listen to different frequencies.

But in the 6400, you can not do diversity,  all receivers/VFOs will share
the single front end, switched to ONE antenna.

Cheers.

OK, great.  The 6400 will be fine for what I want then. 
Now I want one, how soon can I have it ?   hihi.

Bob
K6UJ
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 11:05:17 PM »

I had a 6300 and it was a fine radio. But, I did not like its dependence on a computer. Quite often, after aWindows update, all hell would break loose and had to spend time fixing it or waiting for Flex to issue a fix. Spent too much time on the computer so sold it.
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 08:45:22 AM »

I had a 6300 and it was a fine radio. But, I did not like its dependence on a computer. Quite often, after aWindows update, all hell would break loose and had to spend time fixing it or waiting for Flex to issue a fix. Spent too much time on the computer so sold it.

That's one of my concerns about going to a Flex radio.  Reliability issues because of dependence on a computer.
I use both PC's and Macs.  I use a PC normally in the shack because some ham software I use is only available for PC.  Otherwise I prefer the mac.  I use a Mac for everything other than Ham Radio.  Much more reliable, don't have the glitches and problems as the PC's running windows 10.   Flex has SmartSDR software for IOS (mac) also.
I assume there will be more reliability using the mac version of SmartSDR.  I need to hear from others if this is the case. 
Thanks for sharing your experience with using the 6300.

Bob
K6UJ
K4QXX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 07:30:04 AM »

I use my Flex-6700 with my MacBook Pro using DogparkSDR software.  It works very well and 99% of the time I am using it remotely.  DogparkSDR doesn't have all the functions that SmartSDR (windows) does but it has all of the important functions that I use (I rarely use more than 1 panadapter and Dogpark supports 2 at this time).  The windows version is very stable as well.  Once in awhile a windows update will mess up the DAX drivers but a simple reinstall will usually fix. 

Burch
K4QXX
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 09:18:08 AM »

That's one of my concerns about going to a Flex radio.  Reliability issues because of dependence on a computer.
I use both PC's and Macs.  I use a PC normally in the shack because some ham software I use is only available for PC.  Otherwise I prefer the mac.  I use a Mac for everything other than Ham Radio.  Much more reliable, don't have the glitches and problems as the PC's running windows 10.   Flex has SmartSDR software for IOS (mac) also.
I assume there will be more reliability using the mac version of SmartSDR.  I need to hear from others if this is the case. 
Thanks for sharing your experience with using the 6300.

Bob
K6UJ

I use Windows, iOS and Maestro.

All have been stable here.
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 12:02:18 PM »

Thanks guys for the feedback. Very helpful.
I have ordered a Flex 6400 and I am going to see how it goes with the PC running win 10.

Bob
K6UJ
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 02:16:56 PM »

The best thing to do with an sdr radio is to use the computer just for the radio and turn updates and other things off.
Only connect it to the web when you need to update the sdr software should it have something new you want.
A good refurbished computer can be got for not much money.
A radio is never going to be stable if the software is always changing and the computer is busy running all sorts of things underneath the sdr program, like updates, virus protection, and all sorts of other things.
Think of the computer as part of the radio and use it just for the radio and it will always be stable.
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 08:42:42 PM »

The best thing to do with an sdr radio is to use the computer just for the radio and turn updates and other things off.
Only connect it to the web when you need to update the sdr software should it have something new you want.
A radio is never going to be stable if the software is always changing and the computer is busy running all sorts of things underneath the sdr program, like updates, virus protection, and all sorts of other things.
Think of the computer as part of the radio and use it just for the radio and it will always be stable.

One computer dedicated to just the Flex radio.  Good plan, especially when not using it on internet. 
I have another computer I can use for everything else.  I want to have the ham apps on a separate screen anyway. 
Thanks for the info.
Bob
K6UJ
KC9NRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 12:52:48 PM »

A computer is only as stable as the person using it, too many people are clueless and I mean seriously clueless about computers so they fumble around clicking on everything and installing crap and then when they need help they say they didn't do anything so how did it get so messed up? I do this for a living and every time the person says they didn't do anything and when we tell them exactly what they did they fess up, they're always too embarrassed to admit they caused a problem and it takes you longer to fix because of it.

Your idea is a good one, it's unfortunate because this means they likely have to have another PC for doing other things but it takes them out of the equation for the radio and for many people this is needed, which says something but is the topic for another thread.

FlexRadio 6300 Maestro Combo
Yaesu MP1000 Mark V
Icom 746Pro
SDRPlay
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 01:03:38 PM »

I use the same 7 year old computer with my 6500 that I use for everything else.

In the year that I've had a 6500, I have had zero issues with Win10 updates, or anything else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: