The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W4RTT Horrible Purchase Experience  (Read 5876 times)
KB3GGC

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2017, 11:42:32 PM »

Over the years, I have purchased a variety of items from hams all over the country....and sold a lot of equipment, too. Well, I recently purchased two receivers from W4RTT (Randy True). Both of them arrived packed minimally using older boxes that were thin and did not have much protective padding around the equipment. The Ten-Tec RX-350 was dirty, but tested okay and cleaned up fine. The Icom IC-R8500 arrived and it powered on just fine. It is a wideband receiver so it is important to check all the bands. I checked the various bands and the HF bands were significantly down in sensitivity....the FM/VHF/UHF bands tested just fine.

I contacted Randy to advise him of the issue of low sensitivity on the HF bands and that repairs to the R8500 are difficult (and costly) and asked if he had any suggestions for a solution or to return the unit for a refund. This resulted in him responding that it worked properly when he shipped it. I responded that I have a lot of experience with equipment, have done a proper A/B test with other equipment, checked it using various antennas, and even verified all the antenna connections.

Basically, the whole thing turned into an adversarial communication from him to me in various emails between us rather than accepting my explanation and testing. Here is his last response to me (in full and not altered in any way):

"What we have is a major difference of opinion.
I'm 100% certain I sent you a properly functioning receiver.
You are 100% certain I sent you a piece of crap.

The first thing I do when buying a piece of gear; new OR used ,is open the cover and check for loose wires/connectors, bulging caps, smoked resistors/diodes, using a proper anti static mat.
With all the radios you have bought and sold, you are telling me that you did not open that radio? I frankly don't believe you.

I stand behind that I sent you a PROPERLY FUNCTIONING RECEIVER."

Randy W4RTT

I never told Randy that he sent me a piece of crap....never used the words nor implied this. I did tell him that the unit had a serious issue on the HF bands from 2- 30 MHz and so eventually asked to send the unit back to him for a refund. At this point, I am stuck with a piece of equipment that does not work properly costing $800.

You can purchase from W4RTT at your own risk, but I would advise strongly against it. He did not act kindly or helpfully in our communications and seemed to believe that either I was an idiot or that I didn't know what I was doing....and was dishonest. What a shame!

He may try to defame me here and elsewhere, but I stand by my reputation and others can look up my call sign and do research.

Randy / KB3GGC

Update: This came to me from W4RTT afterwards (unabridged or changed):

"Then your beef is with UPS, not me.

And, what are people like me?

People that stand for what THEY believe in.

People that refuse to be brow beat.

And from my perspective, it was you that was trying to do the screwing."

Just remember when you go to impugn my reputation that it is two edge sword you are wielding. And it often comes back harder from the direction whence it came.

Randy W4RTT

You can see, he then blames UPS and then tells me that I am trying to screw him. Which is it? Actually, it is neither. It is the seller's responsibility to pack things properly. If damage occurred in transit, then this is up to the seller to resolve. But I didn't see any cosmetic damage so I believe the unit was not functioning properly when it was shipped to me.
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 07:03:43 AM »

You might find this interesting:

My 8500 suddenly went almost deaf on HF. I suspect I may have transmitted 100w out on HF while the 8500 was on. I never do this, but this was an exception.
Is there anything in the circuit I can check without having to send it out for repair?
I have heard Icom will no longer service these. Any truth to that?

Randy
W4RTT

https://forums.radioreference.com/icom-receivers/354715-low-hf-sensetivity.html

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:44:51 AM »

My 8500 suddenly went almost deaf on HF. I suspect I may have transmitted 100w out on HF while the 8500 was on. I never do this, but this was an exception.
Is there anything in the circuit I can check without having to send it out for repair?

Randy
W4RTT

How do you spell sleaze ball?
W  4  R  T  T

Apparently Randy does not know how to spell sensitivity!
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »

Randy
W4RTT

Pretty much makes the case for KB3GGC.   
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 02:45:22 PM »

Likely a front end amplifier...try Ham Repair and have them do an analysis and/or repair...then you will know...
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »

Wow.  Thanks for the heads up.  This forum provides a real service in weeding out potential problem sellers and buyers.
LA4VSA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 09:01:15 AM »

Randy
W4RTT

Checkmate for me.  You did get scammed.  PayPal?

Sorry this happened!  It scares me as a HAM on a budget, but I have to hope this is an exception rather than the rule here.  I have been saving for a 2nd hand rig....

obi
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 11:18:04 AM »

Wow.  That sword looks like it has only one edge and looks sharp to me.  Why I'm so leery about buying anything used.
KB3GGC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 03:35:37 PM »

W4RTT did not accept Paypal.  Thus, this was a loss for me as I had no recourse since W4RTT refused to refund my money.  The boards in the R8500 are surface mount micro components.  Even Icom, when they serviced these units, replaced the boards so this is not something that can be repaired without a board replacement.
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 03:12:54 AM »

Was this an e-bay purchase?  I pretty sure you can't advertise something as working knowing well that it isn't, and now you have the proof....

W4RTT is a thief, plain and simple.....
KB3GGC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 03:57:30 PM »

This was not an Ebay purchase.  The Icom receiver was advertised and sold via an eHam advertisement on Oct 30th.  I mailed a check....thus, no buyer protection.
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »

PayPal is your friend.  NEVER pay by check or Money Order.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 04:32:24 AM »

W4RTT did not accept Paypal.  Thus, this was a loss for me as I had no recourse since W4RTT refused to refund my money.  The boards in the R8500 are surface mount micro components.  Even Icom, when they serviced these units, replaced the boards so this is not something that can be repaired without a board replacement.

Not accepting PayPal is a serious red flag.  If you must go another route, go postal money order as at least you may be able to have the USPS press charges for mail order fraud.
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 04:56:31 PM »

Yes, PP can work out some times depends which side you are on buyer, or seller.  Never ever ship until you receive a bonafide payment...
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 07:42:40 AM »

Wow.  That sword looks like it has only one edge and looks sharp to me.  Why I'm so leery about buying anything used.

Indeed! I rarely buy anything used from individuals for this reason.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: