The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W4RTT Horrible Purchase Experience  (Read 6511 times)
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 10:55:29 AM »

Is not like in the past when hams sold their own used equipment. You went to their house and tried it out. Surprisingly how honest most people are when you know where they live and can hop in your car and grab them by the neck.  I have noticed that many hams are now in the business of buying and selling used gear as you can tell when some write that it was from an estate sale. More and more of these estate re-sellers are popping up daily. If you buy used old equipment to re-sell from a relative of a dead person, said relative does not have clue what they are selling. I see the same people listing dozens of ads day after day after day. Specially on qth.

These days you also have the eBay mentality. It appears that it works as it should. I worked 2 years ago. Last time I used it it was fine. It lights up when I turn it on. It receives fine (but is a transceiver). I looked inside and every seems to be fine. I can go on forever.

Finally as someone already mentioned, no PayPal, pass on the deal.
W4IJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 11:55:41 AM »

What a shame. 

I've bought a LOT of stuff using eBay, and maybe 1% of my purchases were problematic.  In all cases, either the seller or eBay fixed the problem.   eBay is pretty much COMPLETELY on the side of the buyer.  As a buyer that gives me some confidence.  As a seller, if I ever sell anything, I will make sure that I fully describe the item, it's physical and electrical condition, and take all the pictures I can. 

Based on some of the horror stories I've read lately, I would NEVER EVER again send anyone a money order.  If they won't take PayPal, then something is amiss.  It's too easy to set up an account for someone not to take advantage of it.  As a backup safety net, only use a credit card to pay through PayPal - don't use your bank account.

I hope the OP can get the rig repaired - it may be an easy fix for someone with the necessary tools and skills.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: