The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeling antsy and looking for some feedback.  (Read 627 times)
KC2NLT

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2017, 02:32:46 AM »

Those who’ve been following the news probably know that the Airspy HF + is available for preorder with  an estimated shipping date around early December.

Now, normally as with any new product, I usually wait a few weeks until it’s been tested by the masses and if there are any issues, the manufacturer usually addresses them. Take the iPhone X, for example.

As an aside, it’s Apple’s first crack at an OLED phone with facial recognition so I’ll wait for generation 2. 

Having said that, I would really like to get my hands on an Airspy HF+, mostly for VHF use.

Those who have had experience with the manufacture, would you say it’s safe to pre-order before waiting to see what the general public discovers, i.e bugs or defects, etc.? Or, is it the type of company that delivers quality products without exception?

Sure, beta testers can help flesh out some bugs, but when thousands of consumers purchase it and use it, they usually find a couple of issues that need addressing by the manufacture. 
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 06:22:39 AM »

What could go wrong?
Its really all in the software, not the hardware.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 08:44:33 AM »

I agree. The hardware is just a small component and and issues can likely be addressed in software. There's really no new tech in the hardware, unlike the iPhone X you mentioned, which has an OLED display. Now that would concern me because I've been burned by OLEDs before--the Yaesu FTdx-5000 uses them for its subdisplays; I want to sell mine, but have to pack up the rig, all fifty pounds of it, and send it back to Yaesu to have its displays replaced before I can sell it. At least with something like an SDR receiver shipping it is easy.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »

Those who’ve been following the news probably know that the Airspy HF + is available for preorder with  an estimated shipping date around early December.

Now, normally as with any new product, I usually wait a few weeks until it’s been tested by the masses and if there are any issues, the manufacturer usually addresses them. Take the iPhone X, for example.

As an aside, it’s Apple’s first crack at an OLED phone with facial recognition so I’ll wait for generation 2.  

Having said that, I would really like to get my hands on an Airspy HF+, mostly for VHF use.

Those who have had experience with the manufacture, would you say it’s safe to pre-order before waiting to see what the general public discovers, i.e bugs or defects, etc.? Or, is it the type of company that delivers quality products without exception?

Sure, beta testers can help flesh out some bugs, but when thousands of consumers purchase it and use it, they usually find a couple of issues that need addressing by the manufacture.  

Seems like Airspy is a bit confused...

On one hand they claim:

"We don’t like hacky workarounds

With an Airspy HF+, you will never need band-aids like the competition. Fixing the linearity properly requires much more than:
Notch filters
Band preselectors
Preamps
Attenuators…"

But then a few paragraphs down, it's:

"Excellent VHF performance is also achieved by using optimized signal paths composed of band filters, high linearity LNAs with a stepped AGC, a polyphase harmonic rejection mixer and IF filters optimized for their respective bands.
The amplifier gain is switchable in 3 dB-steps and fully controlled by the AGC running in the DSP. The RF signal is converted to baseband by a high linearity passive mixer with a polyphase harmonic rejection structure. The low-IF signal is then converted into the digital domain by the same IF ADC used in the HF chain."

Could have simplified with saying "we only use hacky workarounds on VHF".

Seems like it might be a good radio. Twice the price of the "other competing solutions", so, in a sense, it's not competitive within a class. Go for it!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:07:45 AM by K5TED » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: