The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IFR 1200 Super S Service Monitor  (Read 1028 times)
AD4U

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2017, 07:00:28 AM »

I have a chance to buy a very nice IFR 1200 Super S service monitor with a current calibration from a SK. There is no manual and I am not familiar with this unit. Can the "options" in the IFR 1200 Super S be displayed on the display or elsewhere on the unit? If so, how? I am specially interested if it has a tracking generator. Thanks........

Dick AD4U
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:43:06 AM »

Dick,

Press the 2ND FUNC button, then the 5 key. Press the up arrow key a couple of times and see if there is an entry named TRACK LOW.  If you see it, the tracking generator is enabled.  If you only see DUPLEX LOW and DUPLEX HIGH, the tracking feature isn't enabled.  

Bob, K0BT
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »

There's a guy in KS who makes add-on kits for the 1200S if yours doesn't have a TG.  They're $400 and include firmware and an add-on amp the increases your generator power output.

KG Electronics
12502 W. Hardtner
Wichita, KS 67235
kurtgraber@yahoo.com
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 04:41:06 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I found that the 1200 Super S does have a tracking generator and every function works great. BTW I bought it and it is mine.

Dick AD4U
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 12:03:23 PM »

BTW, here's a link to something I had to fix in my 1200S (non-Super) in case you have the same issue.  From what I've heard, it's pretty common...

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,109359.0.html
W9AC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 08:34:09 PM »

BTW, here's a link to something I had to fix in my 1200S (non-Super) in case you have the same issue.  From what I've heard, it's pretty common...

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,109359.0.html

I recently had the same problem with my IFR 1200S.  I elected to replace the 18.8 MHz crystal from ICM -- which is now out of business.  However, Kurt Graber at KG Electronics ordered a supply before ICM closed.  Others have changed a Zener diode in the circuit to a different Vr value which appears to help as the crystal ages beyond tolerance.

Crystal replacement is a delicate and somewhat difficult job because a tin shield must be unsoldered around its perimeter to access the soldered crystal pins.    

Paul, W9AC
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 07:09:01 AM »

Crystal replacement is a delicate and somewhat difficult job because a tin shield must be unsoldered around its perimeter to access the soldered crystal pins.    

Thank God I had a hot air rework station.  I don't think I could have gotten the shields off without it.
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 01:08:04 PM »

When I bought mine, it had a problem with the 75.2 MHz reference oscillator in the Fast Low Loop module.  The root problem was the 18.8 MHz crystal had drifted off frequency, causing every frequency entered into the unit to be off by 8 kHz.  ICM had the part number in their database and was able to make a replacement crystal.

The oscillator circuit had been modified by someone trying to compensate for the failing crystal.  The LM329 was replaced with a generic Zener diode, the MV209 varactor with a Siemens BB409, and a few capacitors were changed to different values than shown in the schematic. Once I got everything back to normal, the unit has been rock solid, but now I'm wondering what the component values were in that IFR service bulletin...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 01:10:44 PM by K0BT » Logged
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 06:22:54 AM »

now I'm wondering what the component values were in that IFR service bulletin...

Here's a pic of what I did...

K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 06:45:33 AM »

Thanks for posting that. I'll file it away in case the beast acts up again. That board is indeed a pain to work on because of those shields.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: