The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the 3 best handhelds for the $ in 2017  (Read 3702 times)
WR1R

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 09:02:51 AM »

Hi Randy and thanks for that awesome response. Yes you’re right the application is the biggest thing and I find it amusing what you said about if your local repeaters are overloaded it’s actually the opposite up here in New England it’s like a wasteland you monitor VHFUHF and it’s dead once in a while I’ll have somebody bring up the repeator and converse with them but it’s far and few between. I also think you’re right about the digital radio mode there’s not many notes in our area and theres only a few  guys I’ve heard we’re actually using them right now. I’m sure will be the wave of the future but I think you’re right I don’t think it’s here yet and just yesterday for 75 bucks I picked up a Kenwood to 261 A  with the original keypad microphone and I was pretty happy about that. So yes you’re correct I still want to get an HT and really not sure which direction to go in but at least I have a lot of options how to get something before Christmas. Hopefully others will weigh in as much as you haven’t help me out in my quest for the best radio the best bang for the buck thanks again Randy for weighing in appreciate your input 73 Frank
NEVBEN

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2017, 10:37:48 AM »

If were sticking to ham stuff then the VX-6R is on top of the list, I have 2 of them and no problems whatsoever.

If you widen it up to commercial offerings then first place goes to the MOTOROLA XTS5K with FPP, 2nd is a tie for the HAMFLASHED GE M-PA and the VX-6R then the Moto Saber.

Sorry JJL, I still prefer the Hamflashed M-PA to the Saber but only by a small margin and since I picked up 2 more FPP XTS5'K FOR $350  each, the xts5k is still my top choice.

What do you find are the advantages of the commercial offerings?  What makes you rate them higher than any of the radios marketed to amateurs?  I'm interested because I might be able to use them.  I'm presently using the Kenwood TH-K20A model and just added another one to my inventory.  I would be willing to spend more for HT's, but I do not want dual-band, tri-band, amateur digital modes, GPS, APRS etc.  I also don't need trunking, commercial digital modes, or NFM.

I only use the 2m amateur band, primarily a couple simplex frequencies and a couple repeaters.  I want a durable radio with good audio, long battery life, that is simple to use.  I'm reluctant to buy older commercial gear that might have good selectvity, but higher current draw on receive that make up for it with giant battery bricks.
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 05:52:27 AM »

What do you find are the advantages of the commercial offerings?  What makes you rate them higher than any of the radios marketed to amateurs? 

Durability is the main reason.  You can drive over a GE MPA, and it still works just fine thanks to the really heavy die cast case.  Also, ease of use in the field.  Any programming has to be done at home with a PC (although GE engineers released firmware to flash the MPA to make it totally field programmable) so it's impossible to muck up in the field.

Selectivity in ham specific radios went out the door when they made it receive DC to daylight.

Batteries are kinda big, but they've gotten better with the advent of the lithium varieties.  I can usually get a day's use out of a new one no matter the chemistry.
WR1R

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 03:00:38 AM »

Well thanks everyone who weighted in here I made a choice and I think I got a pretty good deal .https://www.ebay.com/itm/ICOM-ID-51A-Plus-2-Green-Leaf-Dual-Band-Hand-Held-Radio-and-MEGA-Bundle-/382291984250?nma=true&si=iqrBgSWLfnEVUSsiwTelm9CWe5Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: