The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monitor Sensors 630m transverter  (Read 1777 times)
AE5X

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2017, 02:19:21 PM »

short video showing the operation of this popular device from VK4YB:

https://ae5x.blogspot.com/2017/11/first-qsos-on-630m-and-video-of-monitor.html

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 03:08:33 PM »

VERY interesting! $660 USD.  http://www.monitorsensors.com/ham-radio/630m-transverter

BTW, I heard NC0B on 630 M CW over the weekend. He was loud here.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 03:11:29 PM »

short video showing the operation of this popular device from VK4YB:

https://ae5x.blogspot.com/2017/11/first-qsos-on-630m-and-video-of-monitor.html

I've decided that's the way I'm going. I'm passing my modified IC-735 to another station local to me.
The unit has great filtering on both TX & RX. It's also linear so it can be used on SSB and modes like OPERA.
It's also got great protection circuits.
John, the 1st time I've ever decoded you was either last night or the prior night. You were on JT9.
I think it's a great centerpiece to building a performing station on 630.
Bill, AA2UK
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 03:28:29 PM »

Some reviews

https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/13217
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 04:03:14 PM »

Every reviewer is a 630 meter regular and or veteran the reviews speak volumes.
I know of other stations using this transverter they have nothing but praise for it.
Bill, AA2UK
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 04:11:56 PM »

My one problem is that any stations I decode while receiving are reported to WSPRnet as 160m spots since that's the band the rig is tuned to, so I had to turn off the 'Upload spots' function. I'm sure there's a work-around but I haven't found it yet.

AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 04:35:30 PM »

My one problem is that any stations I decode while receiving are reported to WSPRnet as 160m spots since that's the band the rig is tuned to, so I had to turn off the 'Upload spots' function. I'm sure there's a work-around but I haven't found it yet.
I think the guys on the ON4KST chat page can help.
John, I don't know the answer.
Bill, AA2UK
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 05:08:36 PM »

Are you using CAT to control WSJT-X or WSPR? If so, disable it, and set it manually. This is how all those reporting the wrong band do it, but it would be correct in your case. LOL
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 05:32:34 PM »

Are you using CAT to control WSJT-X or WSPR? If so, disable it, and set it manually. This is how all those reporting the wrong band do it, but it would be correct in your case. LOL

Tried that but then rig doesn't key on transmit. I love the RF aspect of radio but the software side of it sometimes p!5535 me off.

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 05:40:56 PM »

Tried that but then rig doesn't key on transmit. I love the RF aspect of radio but the software side of it sometimes p!5535 me off.

Maybe it works differently than I thought. Before I had CAT working/configured in WSJT-X, I would simply select the frequency from the pull down menu. This was the frequency reported to PSKReporter, regardless of the actual TX frequency.
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 06:04:35 PM »

I don't know maybe this?
Station Information: You can save Band, Offset and Antenna Description information for your station. The antenna information will be included in reception reports sent to PSK Reporter. By default the frequency offset for each band is zero. Nonzero offsets may be added if (for example) a transverter is in use.

For a simple setup approach you might want to delete any unwanted bands — for example, bands where you have no equipment. Then click on a Frequency entry and type Ctrl+A to “select all,” and drag-and-drop the entries onto the Station Information table. You can then add any transverter offsets and antenna details.

To avoid typing the same information many times, you can drag-and-drop entries between the lines of the Station Information table.

When all settings have been configured to your liking, click OK to dismiss the Settings window.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 03:06:08 AM »

Thanks - I'll give that a try, hopefully this weekend.

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 04:06:01 AM »

What is the receiver tuning range of the MS Transverter? Is it just 472 to 479 KHz?
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 04:41:36 AM »

What is the receiver tuning range of the MS Transverter? Is it just 472 to 479 KHz?
That's what it's optimized for, they make a 2200 meter Xvrter as well
Bill, AA2UK
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 07:04:04 AM »

Seems so. From the transverter manual

"The roofing filter will attenuate signal and noise outside the 630m band." Too bad it can't also be used as a general longwave receive converter including 2200 meters, maybe WWVB and more. But longwave, especially in urban areas, can be a nasty neighborhood.

Also
"In receive, signals from the MF Antenna pass through the SWR Bridge and 7 pole, Chebychev, 500 kHz, low pass
filter. This filter provides 30 to 50 dB of attenuation against Broadcast Stations operating in the 550 to 1600 kHz
Medium Wave Band. This filter is followed by a half lattice, roofing filter. The pass band is 472 to 479 kHz. The filter
is steep sided, but flat within +/- 1.5 dB within the pass band. The ceramic elements resonate at 473.3 and 478.2
kHz. The roofing filter is followed by a 5 pole chebychev low pass filter."

Great that it includes an SWR bridge. There is mention of a dual band version down the road.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: