The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do You Buy "Used" gear and Avoid Internet Fraud??  (Read 1750 times)
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »

I just buy new now. The used prices are so high it no longer makes sense.
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 07:45:45 PM »

Their is some risk, it seems to be getting worse, I have a Icom Pro 3 in very very good shape.
 I don't know if I should risk e-Bay or not.
I have herd of story's of people getting bit on sales. Such as part swappers. (really that could happen) 
I made a post on QRZ that I doubt that would 3 or 4 times over a years time.
But now  don't know.
Letting someone try it out for 6 months then something breaks. I think it should 30 days or less.
I think ounce you give + feedback the deal is done.
So in 14 days from the date you won the Item you must give feedback.
It bothers me a great deal that they have so much time to deside if they want it.

WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 04:21:26 AM »

I have NEVER BOUGHT ANYTHING off the internet and I never will. I have seen some good items even here on eham that I would like to have but don't want to risk it. I don't trust the internet or most people nowdays. That's just me.

I'm the opposite.  I've bought a ton of stuff off the internet from here, ebay, Gun Broker, Amazon and a host of others.  I've only been burned twice time - well over 10 years ago, one time for $30, and once for $300 - which taught me a lesson on how to deal and protect ones self.  In the intervening years, I've saved far beyond that, not to mention finding items I couldn't get locally. So I have no qualms about buying over the net - so long as certain conditions are met.
N1CZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 03:25:31 PM »

I'm the opposite.  I've bought a ton of stuff off the internet from here, ebay, Gun Broker, Amazon and a host of others. 
So I have no qualms about buying over the net - so long as certain conditions are met.
This is me also. I have been scammed at hamfests before the 'net and stopped going to those long ago. I can add to that list buya.com of good places to go to buy used stuff (as well as new and new but in the store (looked handled)).
N1CZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 07:41:17 AM »

... adding to the previous message, try to find out a seller's or buyer's history. And, if a ham, do they have an operating history of any kind. Even a blog about themselves anywhere that you can find one such as over on QRZ. Thinking of QRZ, look for that buyer or seller on all other forums that you can find them. Even check out their QTH via Google maps/street view looking for antennas.

If you are new to buying used online, collect as much as possible as you can about the other party. Make direct contact, in any case, to fill in a sense of honesty.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 08:47:23 AM »

How Do YoU buy USED GEAR  and Avoid Internet Fraud ???Hmmmmmmm

Do your homework and use your witt and on the street prowess and trust your gut... Wow .   And allways  D.T.A..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPzJwQNkl5Q    

WOW. Do not worry this is free advice.  Or better yet just buy BRAND NEW No problems...WoW

Buy the best out there Icom 7300 and be heard around the world and pick up  ANY SIGNAL. Wow.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:54:52 AM by KC8KTN » Logged
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 11:49:22 AM »

Don't buy items from private sellers off the internet unless you're a risk taker.  By the way, before the internet, people sold all kinds of things by advertising in classified ads.  Sometimes the seller was a thief and if you were buying from someone in another part of the country and he defrauded you then you were SOL. 
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 01:50:43 AM »

I can't tell you anymore then what others have already saod. I've bought lots of gear off EBay and the internet I've never been burned. I do check the sellers call and address with the ULS system. However many don't use ham calls when selling on EBay.
When the economy took a big hit in 2007-08 I was able to purchase some nice gear at bargain basement prices.
Bill, AA2UK
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 08:03:31 AM »

I just buy new now. The used prices are so high it no longer makes sense.
I have to agree. Unless it's something you absolutely must have. The only issue I can think of with buying new was when I bought my TS -440SAT.  Kenwood had that problem with the glue used on their circuit boards, causing distortion on ssb,and chirp on cw.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: