The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Straight key bliss with the Junker  (Read 1271 times)
AA4OO

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2017, 11:05:49 AM »

I've finally had the opportunity to try a Junker D.B.G.M.

What an amazing straight key.  The adjustability, and feel of the Junker makes the rest of my straight keys feel downright clumsy.

I posted a video of a brief intro and my first QSO using the Junker...

https://youtu.be/uxkeZOzzhSI

Richard AA4OO
http://hamradioqrp.com

Lower your Power and Raise your expectations
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »

It's certainly a nice key with an excellent feel. Unfortunately it's been "discovered" and you no longer
find like new old ones for $20 on ebay.
AA4OO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 05:42:35 AM »

It's certainly a nice key with an excellent feel. Unfortunately it's been "discovered" and you no longer
find like new old ones for $20 on ebay.

Yes, they seem pricey now. I got this one for $52 plus shipping, which seemed good based on what I've seen them go for in the past year.

KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »

$50 is still a very fair price for such a good key.

I removed what I assumed was the key click circuit from under the base. Not needed with solid state rigs.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 07:32:41 PM »

If you like using a straight key try the G0NVT Version of the Marconi. I own all the Marconi model keys and even a 1930s PS213. In my humble opinion this is the best  straight that is value for money on the market its just superb. While some aspects of the design and materials are not the best that is currently available it achieves  its design objectives,  and that objective was to make the best possible straight key at a reasonable price. G0NVT has achieved that objected with such simplicity and elegance.

I would not recommend that you pay stupid money for a old Marconi, Amplidan or some other military or marine key just go straight to the G0NVT and you will be happy.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 09:12:33 AM »

If you like using a straight key try the G0NVT Version of the Marconi.

LNR Precision has been making several simplified versions of the Amplidan originally designed by Bill NT9K.

The limited production version I have, from about five years ago, of brass, has that superb feel. LNR currently
offers a smaller version in aluminum which looks right and should provide the appropriate excellent feel, but
I have never used one.

In addition the Begali Blade key is a similar design and I wouldn't be surprised if it also had the "feel."
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 01:49:26 PM »

Glad to have found my two Junkers a couple of months ago. At the time $100 was the price for each in exc cond.
 Yes, they have a "feel' to them that is awfully hard to forget and go back to the J models.
AA4OO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »

The key itself was in great condition.  The cover had some AL corrosion and both it and the base had some heavy handed brush coat repaint.  I lightly sanded them and resprayed using hammered silver.  The result looks nice to me.  I've had a few QSOs with it now and I'm getting the feel for it.  My previous favorite key was my Navy Flameproof, which was a step up from my Kent hand key.  The Junker is allowing me to easily send ~20wpm with a feel that I couldn't obtain with the Flameproof.  I believe I've found my new favorite straight key.

http://www.hamradioqrp.com/2017/11/german-telegraph-key-junker-mt-honnefrh.html

Richard AA4OO
http://hamradioqrp.com

KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 09:53:08 PM »

Hey Rich; Yours is identical to my first one. The second is finished in a dark green enamel. Love the feel.
  Also, Good to QSO with you again, 72 / 73 from Lane.  de n8aft
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 07:04:15 AM »

I have to agree on the Junkers Morse keys: wonderful feel.  I had one decades ago and when needing money for a family situation, sold it along with my ham gear.  The crisp operating feel, is what I enjoyed and German precision engineering really showed through. These days, my favorite is the 'Czech key', which were once widely available. 

It has a wonderful feel and operates VERY quietly; if it had a Navy knob it would be perfect for me.

73 de Ray  ..._  ._
AA4OO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 10:22:44 AM »

I have to agree on the Junkers Morse keys: wonderful feel.  I had one decades ago and when needing money for a family situation, sold it along with my ham gear.  The crisp operating feel, is what I enjoyed and German precision engineering really showed through. These days, my favorite is the 'Czech key', which were once widely available. 

It has a wonderful feel and operates VERY quietly; if it had a Navy knob it would be perfect for me.

73 de Ray  ..._  ._
I agree about the knob.  I am very used to Navy knob style keys and am struggling to find a comfortable grip with the flat knob... if it's "flat" is it a knob Huh

Quote from:  link=topic=117860.msg1035984#msg1035984 date=1511675588
  Hey Rich; Yours is identical to my first one. The second is finished in a dark green enamel. Love the feel.
  Also, Good to QSO with you again, 72 / 73 from Lane.  de n8aft
Hey Lane, Very nice.  I'd like to see a picture of the dark green enamel key.  I thought about painting this one dark green or maybe hammered green.  From my notes on our last QSO, QSB took you beyond my ability to copy and a nearby station with a bunch of splatter put the nail in it.

WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 10:28:09 AM »

If you like using a straight key try the G0NVT Version of the Marconi.

LNR Precision has been making several simplified versions of the Amplidan originally designed by Bill NT9K.

The limited production version I have, from about five years ago, of brass, has that superb feel. LNR currently
offers a smaller version in aluminum which looks right and should provide the appropriate excellent feel, but
I have never used one.

In addition the Begali Blade key is a similar design and I wouldn't be surprised if it also had the "feel."

Lately I've been looking for a quality straight key but those sold by LNR are no longer produced.. too bad as they would still sell.  Looks like I might have to pony up for one of the Begali Blades, think I like it the most of their keys.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 03:34:52 PM »

There is a waiting list, but excellent German precision engineering: http://www.morsekeys.com

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: