The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's official -- OM has the worst callsigns, even worse than VK5EEE  (Read 1152 times)
VK5EEE

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2017, 05:27:02 AM »

We struggled in spite of me being "5NN" on the other side of the world... for a full five minutes...  just to get our callsigns right!
OM50SPSEKE -- I kid you not -- in "QSO" with VK5EE or was that VK5EEE or was it VK5EEEE finally we settled on VK5EEE.
Confirmed: OM50SPSEKE https://www.qrz.com/db/OM50SPSEKE

I have long realized that if there is one country that issues callsigns even more stoopid than Australia, with it's four letter F word suffixes, and VI9000ANTARCTICA endless callsigns, it would be Slovakia. The two are in competition for the most absurd callsigns. Perhaps for the most trivial AND worst callsigns Slovakia may beat even Australia. Over there, the OMs in OM can easily get any callsign with any number of digits and any number of suffix letters, to celebrate any number of years of any event no matter how trivial or irrelevant to the world beyond the village.

It's formal, it's in the log, we took 5 minutes at 30 WPM and finally at 25 WPM, just to get both callsigns correct, and I am a skilled CW Op as y'all know... through the QRM (local) and QSB the OM50SPSEKE was RST 369, yet for some known reason, in spite of the problems, my modest power and modest antenna I was making it across there with 599.

What is the stoopidist "special event" callsign you have come across? Gone are the days when administrations stuck to ITU callsign regulations!

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 06:36:37 AM »

I worked these guys probably 10 years ago or so............... https://www.qrz.com/ON70REDSTAR

Have way too many interesting/strange/unusual callsigns rattling around in my head.  Smiley

Tom KC0W
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:06:53 PM »

From the logbook:

A72006
OE2013MMF
HS50RAST
HA2004EU

OK, I get it, run a special event station for some event, but PLEASE make it a short callsign.

Peter DL8OV
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 03:05:50 PM »

Although not a special event callsign, the longest call in my log is from one of Lloyd and Iris' many DXpeditions.  GC5ACI/WB6QEP.  Channel Islands, 1966, Lloyd at the key.  I had the opportunity to meet Lloyd many years later and told him he had the dubious honor of having the longest callsign I'd ever worked.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:08:12 PM by K0RS » Logged
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 04:14:29 PM »

Nice one K0RS OM!

That must have been not-a-lot-of-fun for him to send  Grin

But at least it had meaning. I'd not object to such a callsign that tells a story: where the OM is, and where he is from and who he is.

It may be longer than any of the awful C/S OM Peter mentioned above, but unlike those, we can get meaning from it, without having to refer to look up in the Internet what "special event" is being "celebrated".

These days he may have been given GC/K1X as a callsign, which again without the net, we'd not know who or what K1X is. Plus he'd likely have given his name and an honest report!

Now US callsigns don't mean dit. You cannot even tell which "call area" anyone is in any more as that has gone to pot, thanks FCC. Nor can you tell that a short callsign means a long-service in amateur radio as any newcomer can now buy one.

Consequently in my mind at least, a 6 character long US callsign has more value and memorability than a 4 character one, and the longer ones are easier to remember and recognise. Those of you who have 6 character callsigns in USA, hang on to them!

YL Ellen W1YL/7 does not have to sign /7 when using W7RN but thankfully she does, that's the way it should be though no longer "required".

In VK, we still have call areas. But the silly thing is, that in spite of having 9 prefixes available and so few hams that any suffix could be reserved nationwide, so you only would need to vary your digit, but much worse than that, once a ham dies, within weeks his callsign become available.

In the DQ (Disunited Queendom aka UK) at least, our callsigns are ours for life. AND you can tell how long someone has been licensed, from the callsign. I hope that does not stop. England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are all small enough not to require call areas  Smiley

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 01:32:31 AM »

In the DQ (Disunited Queendom aka UK) at least, our callsigns are ours for life. AND you can tell how long someone has been licensed, from the callsign. I hope that does not stop.

Sometimes folk manage to get callsigns transferred, though I think Ofcom usually limit that to direct family. The "how long" is rather approximate, and works best for "A" class calls with prefixes G4 or earlier, but rather less well for "B" class calls, and you'll be lucky to manage an accuracy better than a decade with the more recently issued prefixes because the suffix is potentially randomly selectable.

England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are all small enough not to require call areas  Smiley

...though the regional modifier system does cause some confusion. A year or three back it seemed that Ofcom might start issuing region-specific callsigns individually, after they issued an updated "Guidance for Radio Amateurs" document for comment. The confusion this would cause to existing callsign holders was, eventually, communicated to Ofcom, and the final version of the document more nearly matched reality.

I've only used the plain and "W" versions of my call so far, but I can see the "M", "I" and "D" versions getting SOTA outings one of these days.

The longest call I've had to use so far is the eleven-character 5Z4/M0LEP/P.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 03:41:24 AM »

Hey, I contested for many years as WB2EKK and living in Maryland the old rules in Sweepstakes and some others made me sign WB2EKK/3...

I like contests where you can work OM0OO followed by EE5E!

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 06:05:57 AM »

Nice ones M0LEP, K3TN!

A terrible callsign to have would surely be KK0KKK but I see already someone has it, I wonder if he uses CW :-)

KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 06:41:22 AM »

Who the hell would ever use a callsign like this?.............Must be a bunch of real clowns.

https://www.qrz.com/db/ww0www  
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 07:29:27 AM »

Well that clown looks nice  Cheesy
https://www.qrz.com/db/ww0www
World Wide Zero Wild West Woman
Doesn't sound bad on SSB  Grin
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:32:22 AM by VK5EEE » Logged

VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 03:19:05 AM »

Maybe im odd, i actually like special event calls, the stupider the better. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: