The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: White rubbery caulk-like melted substance all over TS-930 digital board  (Read 609 times)
N6QWP

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2017, 08:32:40 AM »

Have an older TS-930 that was "blown up" by my "friendly" utility company=when they lost the neutral line and shot 240 vac into my home's 120 vac line Angry  Even though radio was turned off, somehow the high voltage made it into the radio.  I do not understand how or why.

The power supply and AVR board all showed signs of high heat and over-voltage.  I just removed the power supply and noticed a white rubber-like compound that appears to have melted on the inside of the radio=near the power transformer.  Further examination revealed that the inside top of the digital board (next to it) is also covered by this white caulk-like substance?  It almost appears as if someone had tried to scrape this gunk off the top of the board and it's components???

I have no idea what it is from?  Would appreciate any ideas or similar observations.  I am wondering if this is something that a previous owner might have added for some reason?.....or from where it might have originated.

Radio was working properly before the over-voltage incident.....and I had no reason to inspect the inside-so I do not know if this condition existed previously.

I am going to attempt to replace the power supply and AVR (obviously affected by the over-voltage) and wondering if the digital board is showing this substance from over-heating and excess voltages.....or another cause=and it might still be good?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 08:46:33 AM by N6QWP » Logged
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 05:15:27 PM »

Wow that is terrible.  I don't know about that "substance" unless it is the adhesive that Kenwood and many other electronics manufacturers used that became conductive and corrosive with age.
What I really want to know is the power company going to reimburse you for this loss and anything else that got "toasted"?
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 06:13:23 PM »

For wiping out the complete appliance and electronic inventory of our home (many thousands of dollars), we, received a grand total of $1500.   Another homeowner on the same electric line, challenged the pittance and received nothing (years later of negotiations). 

"Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: