The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQWW CW  (Read 2838 times)
N7WR

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2017, 02:51:42 PM »

I admit I am not a great CW contest operator having spent several decade as an SSB Op at the NK7U station.  Today, however, I decided to jump in to the CW test for a short while and see if I could copy in my head at the speeds some send.  I was doing "OK" until I ran across two fellow NK7U contest ops.  One is Dan, K6MJ who in this test is ZF2MJ and Chris KL9A who is operating TI7W.  Those two teamed up to win gold at the last WRTC and are piling up the points for the next one.

Well I got in the log with both of them but seriously had to listen several times in the pileup before calling them just to make sure I was going to QSO the right station.  The speeds at which these guys operate CW are far, far in excess of my capabilities!
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 07:17:38 AM »

decided to jump in to the CW test for a short while and see if I could copy in my head at the speeds some send.  I was doing "OK" until I ran across two fellow NK7U contest ops.  One is Dan, K6MJ who in this test is ZF2MJ and Chris KL9A who is operating TI7W. 

Wow, agree 100%.  I finally worked TI7W on a couple of bands, but it took a while.   He was tossing out contacts at such a speed that they sounded almost like RTTY.   Smiley   Great op, though, same with ZF2MJ.

I'm also not a CW star but contests are a way to brush up and have fun at the same time.  It also used to be a good way to pick up a new country or two, but I didn't hear any I didn't already have that were strong enough to work.
N7WR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 12:43:02 PM »

decided to jump in to the CW test for a short while and see if I could copy in my head at the speeds some send.  I was doing "OK" until I ran across two fellow NK7U contest ops.  One is Dan, K6MJ who in this test is ZF2MJ and Chris KL9A who is operating TI7W. 

Wow, agree 100%.  I finally worked TI7W on a couple of bands, but it took a while.   He was tossing out contacts at such a speed that they sounded almost like RTTY.   Smiley   Great op, though, same with ZF2MJ.

I'm also not a CW star but contests are a way to brush up and have fun at the same time.  It also used to be a good way to pick up a new country or two, but I didn't hear any I didn't already have that were strong enough to work.

Back in the heyday of the NK7U contest station when we ran multi-multi I could keep up with those two guys on SSB but not even close on CW.    They can each work pile ups on both CW and SSB simultaneously (each of them!) and never miss anything.  Ah youth!
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 09:10:19 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Same here. I actually had solid contacts with three new countries (currently have 93 CW verified on lotw) -Honduras, Panama and Jamaica, but none of them participate in lotw. Darn!
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 02:25:21 AM »

The weather was too nice around here for me to spend a lot of time indoors for the CQ WW CW but I made about 300 contacts  Lots of interesting propagation -  I was able to work EU on 40 after our local sunrise and well before local sunset with my Windom OCF at 45'.

There is a famous video of N6MJ working Single Op Two Radio while also texting on his cell phone - here.

I did not work any Spanish stations using calls like EE5E and sending ENN AE as the exchange - global warming may have eliminated what I call "dit blizzards...."

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:18:57 AM »

I believe the law of diminishing returns kicks in at speeds above 35 WPM.  Especially in contests with complex exchanges such as Sweepstakes or where serial numbers or unique information is exchanged.  Not so much of a problem with CQWW since the exchange is very simple and is pre populated by many contest loggers. If an op has to often repeat any part of an exchange due to high speeds he is probably loosing rate.  I'm sure someone has studied this?

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
OK1FIG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 06:13:22 AM »

This is how I enjoyed the contest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6rtDPwnN7w
73, Petr
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 02:37:37 AM »

Nice!

You must not have problem with deer walking across your field! Around here we have to put beverages at least 6 feet up or the deer just trample them within days.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
OK1FIG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 02:49:47 AM »

Hi John,
I fact there is a lot of deer there. I was afraid of it, too. However all my ANTs are temporary. So far the beverages always survived the night. After all, the beverage showed is on a field that is not my property.
73, Petr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: