The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7610 Progressive Drive FAILURE  (Read 2942 times)
VK3BL

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2017, 01:11:57 AM »

Just 20 days old, and my IC-7610 has progressively started to lose drive / require more drive to the finals to make rated output.

I'll hold off on the video for publishing the video for now, but its off for service, so there won't be any more IC-7610 content for the moment.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 01:31:10 AM by VK3BL » Logged

J.D. Mitchell - VK3BL / XU7AGA - http://vk3bl.wordpress.com
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 01:58:42 AM »

The fault occurred prior to upgrade to the latest firmware, and wasn't resolved by it. 

I'm really hoping Icom will come to the party and help me get back 'on air' as soon as possible; as I've invested a lot of money in bringing IC-7610 videos to the world.

ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 04:02:00 AM »

???Wow Jarrad, hope you get it resolved!..
Rig must still be under warranty so get it exchanged.

73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 02:41:03 PM »

My 7300 was bad out of the box, hro gave me a new one and a few weeks later the screen processor died and I had to send it out for repair.
Its been good since, but two failures......
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 04:55:40 PM »

Its been good since, but two failures......

I have owned MANY HF Icom radios since I first got a IC-751A in the 80's. I have never had one fail,nor has any of my Icoms ever been back for service. I contest regular and I do not baby any equipment. Unlike many here I do not love any radio or Radio Company. a radio is just a tool for me. Nothing else. Some times tools break, sometimes they don't.

Now what does this all mean? Am I lucky (doubtful) and you are unlucky (doubtful.)

One thing  I NEVER do anymore. I am never a first adopter, Been there done it with Flexradio and got burned. I only buy proven  radios, I am no longer a Beta tester for any company...

Stan K9IUQ

I
WX0V

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 07:29:30 PM »

Just 20 days old, and my IC-7610 has progressively started to lose drive / require more drive to the finals to make rated output.

I'll hold off on the video for publishing the video for now, but its off for service, so there won't be any more IC-7610 content for the moment.

Ouch.  Sad

What a downer that is.  To have a new spendy radio, and to have to send it in to service already

Sorry to hear this.  How frustrating.

Also, this is not good news for Icom...to have the guy who (via You Tube) is essentially giving the world its first look at the IC-7610 in action, have his radio become defective...wow...

I hope you get it taken care of quickly...plus...more selfishly, I hope this is an isolated incident...

73, de WX0V

P.S.  I really do like your videos...thank you for doing them.
VK1AZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 11:19:25 PM »

A very unfortunate look for Icom, lucky he is close(ish) to the service center i believe. Mines leaving Brisbane in the morning so fingers very much crossed its an unlucky isolated issue.
yep Round 2 shipping has started in AU, not sure how many came in this round across the country though.

Cheers 73
Phil
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 11:39:28 PM »

Ouch.  Sad

What a downer that is.  To have a new spendy radio, and to have to send it in to service already

Sorry to hear this.  How frustrating.

Also, this is not good news for Icom...to have the guy who (via You Tube) is essentially giving the world its first look at the IC-7610 in action, have his radio become defective...wow...

I hope you get it taken care of quickly...plus...more selfishly, I hope this is an isolated incident...

73, de WX0V

P.S.  I really do like your videos...thank you for doing them.

It was very disappointing to say the least, but as a first adopter that's the choice I made and Icom has always looked after me when warranty work is required.  I must admit I got a little cranky at first, but logic prevailed and it went down to the service centre first thing Smiley

The real gotcha was that I had just spent $500 on studio audio gear so that I could do proper unbiased A/B audio comparisons, and was planning to spend the weekend setting that stuff up.

Thanks for everyone who has given feedback (good and bad) on my videos; I'm really enjoying bringing them to everyone, and will be covering many more radios in the future Smiley 

One thing I did note was my latest "video", which features no video but raw audio from both the IC-7610 & IC-7300 got quite a few thumbs down.  I must apologise to anyone who feels I dropped the ball on that one; the truth is I was overwhelmed enough setting up the mixer for a fair and biased appraisal, and then frustrated that my radio wasn't working that I didn't put the usual effort into it.

Rest assured, the 'production studio' is under continual improvement and I'll soon be making even better videos; I'm hoping the artwork will be done soon for the channel Smiley

PS, Luckily, I still have a new video in the pipeline for next weekend; it covers how to setup the IC-7610 for PSK31 operation, and includes a tip on how to choose a compatible wireless keyboard and mouse that only takes up 1 USB port! 

Essentially its the precursor to my PSK31 decode video, but I thought it would be better to release it a little later when people were looking for help setting up their IC-7610s.

So hopefully I'm not left in the lurch too long, but in the meanwhile I'll be working on the "studio" side of things and perhaps even releasing some IC-7300 content for those who have decided to go with that radio - after all, its the current benchmark for value and performance per dollar!

Jarrad VK3BL

KC6SWL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 09:30:07 AM »

Hey Jarred,
Thanks for all the videos..  I was thinking.  If this is going to be a problem with the 7610, maybe you could do a video showing us what to look for as the drive starts to fail.  I am waiting for my “paid in full” 7610 to get here.  I know me and I will just get lost in the fun of operating a new radio and not watch for any signs of a failure.  We’re their any obvious signs you noticed prior to the failuar?
73-Gary
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »

Hi Jarrad , would like to see a head to head RX section compared between the 7610 & 7300 on ssb and cw on a crowded band full of activity, BTW your video's are great stuff!!!
NK7J

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 10:08:55 AM »

I have a 7610 paid for from HRO, hoping to see it soon. Unfortunately this sounds  VERY familiar to an issue I had a number of years ago with the 7600 ( I think, may have been the pro 3). It was not really that new on the market, had been out for about 6 months when I ordered a new one. Set it up and played on PSK-31 at about 20-30 watts for about 3 days and then the power output dropped off until finally it had no output.
What was a real bummer is I had been working my butt off to get things ready for a contest that weekend and had already sold the old rig, I called HRO and talked to them just to see if they had any ideas and much to my surprise they shipped me a new radio (which I received the next day) and sent a return shipping label for the dead one. That move earned my business!
I never heard what the issue was with the dead radio. I asked a couple times but was just told "we shipped it back to Icom".

I really do like the Icom radios but to be totally honest I have also had my fair share of failures with them. I am not one that is stuck on one brand and have owed all many of the big 3s radios. It would be unfair to say I have had more failures with Icom if thats really all I have had in the shack or mobiles. As far as ranking by how many I have had in service 1. Kenwood (by a slight margin) 2. Icom and 3 Yeasu and a distant 4th Alinco
Now Ranking by number of Failures 1. Icom (5) 2. Yeasu (3) and tied for 3. Kenwood and Alinco (1).
Ranking By experience dealing with each companies support service 1. Kenwood 2. Icom a VERY VERY VERY Distant 3. Yeasu and unknown on Alinco as I scrapped the radio.

If your Curious to the problems here they are:
Kenwood TS-590s-Receiver sensitivity went south, 1 week turnaround no charges (radio was 18 months old).
Icom IC-746- DIED, Fixed at my own shop found one of the voltage regulators failed
Icom -IC 746 (A different one) PA Failure about 3 week turn around, seems like it cost about $150ish
Icom 7600 Assume a PA Failure, Replaced at no charge by HRO
IC-706MK2G UHF PA Failure (dont remember how long it took but was no cost)
IC-2200 Receiver Sensitivity went to about 8uV for Sinad, Unknown repair (still sitting on shelf)
Yeasu FT-950 With DMU 2000. Total failure, no power up. 4 months return and $350ish bill.
FT-100D- PA Failure. Sent in, 2 months later returned with same issue and $120 bill. Purchased replacement transistors and fixed in my own shop.
Yeasu FT-8800, Front panel failure, Sent in and was returned saying it could not be repaired, found replacement panel on ebay.
Alinco DR-140T, In some kind of lock condition.. Still on Shelf.

This is by no means saying one brand is better than another, its just my own personal experience but it has determined how I spend my money by customer service from the company. In the past few years I try and steer clear of Yaesu products (though I did buy two FTM-100D last year). Even though I have had some failures with Icom products they tend to stand behind them and I really enjoy the functionality of the radios.

Hope they get you fixed up.
Jack NK7J

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 04:08:36 PM »

I really do like the Icom radios but to be totally honest I have also had my fair share of failures with them. I am not one that is stuck on one brand and have owed all many of the big 3s radios. It would be unfair to say I have had more failures with Icom
Jack NK7J

WOW, you have had a LOT of failures. The first thing I asked myself is what is this guy doing wrong?? To have this many failures, something has to be amiss. Then I looked you up on QRZ.com. The first thing I saw was your nice picture of lightning around your home......

LMAO

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:11:09 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 04:20:19 PM »

HRO was great with me, when my 7300 got erratic with the power output and had static on the TX signal I took it back and of course it worked fine in the store. They gave me a new radio anyway, without making a fuss about it.
I had a bunch of used Icom pro series radios without issue, none of my flex radios had a failure, I can't think of any other radios that crapped out other then the 7300...
I toasted the finals in the Anan but that was all on me.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 11:46:04 PM »

Dear Everyone,

Thanks so much for all the kind words and replies Smiley.

I'm flat out at the moment finishing up a contract but can't wait to have some free time to reply more frequently to everyone soon and of course produce some more videos! Smiley

I don't think the fault is a major one; I suspect something like a cold solder joint on the PA Board in the driver stage, but I'm honestly just guessing.

I'm really hoping Icom will turn this one around quickly.  They've always been great to deal with, even fixing a radio over Christmas within 2 weeks!

That said, it is very disappointing not to have an IC-7610 in the shack.  I bought the radio to 'self train' in youtube, and I feel I'm behind the 8 ball every minute its sitting in the shop.

I have specifically requested a loan unit via email if the turn around is going to be a long time (perhaps spare parts and skills are short at the moment), so hopefully they will see the value in that and come to the party.

I'm really enjoying improving my 'channel' and getting to know a bunch of new Hams the world over, so thanks again for all the correspondence and kind words! Smiley

Please bear with me as I continually improve the channel; I've got a bunch of audio mixers I'll be patching in shortly to improve audio quality, and am researching camera options too at the moment.

I've still got 1 IC-7610 video unreleased, so I'll be able to put that up this weekend.  It covers how to setup the IC-7610 for PSK31/RTTY use with an external keyboard, rather than just focusing on the decoder up close.

Thanks again,

Jarrad VK3BL

VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 03:23:12 AM »

I just received an email from Icom's Australian Sales Manager regarding my IC-7610's power output issues. Hopefully this means I can be back on the air making videos shortly! Smiley

Thanks for reaching out Marty!

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: