The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are we missing out on slow speed CW on 30m?  (Read 3486 times)
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 08:30:01 AM »

Aarrgghh! 10,118 is the freq I've been favoring on 30. I'll move up to 120 every so often now.
W4YAT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »

Well, as a CW beginner, a 60 yr old one, I can tell you that it does get to bit intimidating.  I feel like I can send ok, have recorded and listened, and I practice my spacing quite a bit.  But, I still have a lot of trouble keeping up the copy.  Just get lost in the QSO after a short time.  So I wait around and tune around the bands, hoping to hear someone slow enough for me to join in with, but doesn't happen often. 

Even when I hear someone calling CQ above my comfortable speed for a long period with no one answering, I'm reluctant to call them because I don't think they'll answer my slow reply.  I even read someone's bio off of QRZ, no longer remember call sign or name, where the guy said it was disrespectful to try and reply to someone at a speed slower than the operator was calling.

So, I've been reluctant to call CQ for a couple of reasons.  First, don't think I'll get a reply and second, afraid I'll make a mess of it if I do... Hi Hi.

Did not mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to point out that I was hopeful that 30 meters would be a place where the slow guys hung out, but have not found that to be the case.
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 10:56:47 AM »

Aarrgghh! 10,118 is the freq I've been favoring on 30. I'll move up to 120 every so often now.
As an 83.5 year old, why not try 30 meters (10,118)? Besides, 4 land isn't that far from NW Pa. Hi-hi.
Charlie
PS. Also try the qrp spots on 40 (7.030) and 15 (21.060).
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »

I even read someone's bio off of QRZ, no longer remember call sign or name, where the guy said it was disrespectful to try and reply to someone at a speed slower than the operator was calling.

That OP is talking absolute balderdash... that is completely untrue, in all my life of operating CW never have I ever heard such a statement, please disregard it!
It's a pity that the unusually rare "wrong un" can cause so much damage. Please go on air and have fun, that way things will improve in no time...

A great difficulty though for those of you in USA, compared to Europe, is that while there actually is more activity (though it seems sporadic), there are few "rubber stamp" QSOs -- i.e. those that follow a simple format: first over TNX QSO, RST, QTH, NAME, second over RIG PWR, ANT, TNX QSO, 73. This format makes it simple as each of the important bits of information is usually repeated two or three times. In USA as y'all speak "English" there tend to be many "rag chews" that are longer.

One technique you can use, is leave the rig parked with wide filter, if the CW listens down, park it on 10120 then you will hear everything between 10118 and 10120. Turn up the loudspeaker, maybe squelch out noise if you like, and leave it on while doing other things.

Another technique can be to put out an auto-CQ in beacon mode, if you have that option on a keyer, turn up volume, do other things around house, if a reply comes, rush back and have fun.

Another technique can be, if you rig allows it (check the manual for SCAN if it has a SCAN written somewhere on the controls) is to scan from 10102 to 10129 with the squelch up high enough to get rid of noise, then turn up the volume (XYL and neighbours allowing), go about your business, and if anything strong comes in you'll hear.

Another technique is to look at this page, and you can filter by 30m and SKCC and FISTS for example, and speed if you like (though I rather you did not because I sometimes call CQ above 40WPM but am always happy to slow down to 5WPM) since those members will surely be happy for a slow speed QSO, see it here (click):

http://pa4n.xs4all.nl/bandmap.html

You can also use this for general CW and filter again as you like:

http://www.reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/  -- choose the various options including 30m band and CW, maybe continent North America for "DE". This will include also non-CW club members.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
W4YAT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 04:17:52 PM »

Another technique is to look at this page, and you can filter by 30m and SKCC and FISTS for example, and speed if you like (though I rather you did not because I sometimes call CQ above 40WPM but am always happy to slow down to 5WPM) since those members will surely be happy for a slow speed QSO, see it here (click):

http://pa4n.xs4all.nl/bandmap.html

You can also use this for general CW and filter again as you like:

http://www.reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/  -- choose the various options including 30m band and CW, maybe continent North America for "DE". This will include also non-CW club members.
[/quote]

Thank you for the tips and most appreciative of the RBN link.  It looks like it will be helpful.

Hope to QSO someday.

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »

Even when I hear someone calling CQ above my comfortable speed for a long period with no one answering, I'm reluctant to call them because I don't think they'll answer my slow reply.  I even read someone's bio off of QRZ, no longer remember call sign or name, where the guy said it was disrespectful to try and reply to someone at a speed slower than the operator was calling.

There are probably a tiny percentage of ops (I can think of two offhand) who will not slow down, but an overwhelming majority of hams are perfectly pleased to slow down when someone answers a CQ at a slower speed.  My first 6 months as a ham were all CW, almost all on 15 meters, and I'd make a mess of a QSO, forget something important, screw up my sending so badly that it was unintelligible (actually, I STILL do this sometimes  Wink )  ...  and the veteran hams were helpful and patient and glad to slow down as much as I needed.  Answer a CQ sometime, at a speed you can comfortably copy, and you'll find that 99% of hams enjoy helping new hams and will be GLAD to slow down for you--honest!

Give  it a try; you'll make some mistakes at first but we ALL do at times.  And actually working other hams is far and away the best way to build your CW speed   Welcome to CW, jump right in and have fun with us!  GL 73! --ken
KQ4MM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 07:16:18 PM »

As a new CW OP, this has been a informative thread... I'm now at about 10-13 WPM, and usually only answer CQs being called at my speed or lower ( but I'm going to start pushing that within reason, if I have to send QRS PSE I will) ... One thing I always do is listen for and try to answer OPs that are calling slower, even super slow... I even take the extra  time and try and extend the QSO by asking questions so they can practice.. Many times after the QSO I will look them up and send a email encouraging them. In the short time I;ve been operating CW ( about 4 months now) I have actually worked a few OPs ( and made friends with)  that on the first QSO were 3-5WPM and are now 10-15 ... I'd like to think that I helped, like the many others that helped me before ...

Best Regards

Brian - KQ4MM

W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 08:44:33 PM »

A good op will slow down . you send at the speed you are comfortable and the good Op will match that speed.  Now - if someone is sending CQ at, say 30 words per minute or above, they are probably looking for a faster QSO speed of 30 upwards.  However, most US ham activity is half that 13-18 words per minute, with emphasis on the lower end. 

SKCC and FISTS calling frequencies are VERY good, usually many ops who are new or love to use straight keys, slower and helpful, they also tend to send much of the same things QTH, Name, RST... so that it's great practice. If it leads to conversation - great.    Also, they often monitor 'their' frequencies.  Websearch for their websites and proceed from there.  I often call on SKCC frequs with my straight key and meet some new and old timers

( like me ;-)

73 de Ray  ..._  ._
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 10:30:45 PM »

YAT:  I can understand: Faster, Better and Smarter.......I'm somewhat intimidated by these but I learned many years ago to jump in and have at it.

They will either slow down for you or ignore you and on occasion simply reply to your call at their own speed.  In this case, you just remain quiet.

The bottom line is, don't sweat it!  After all, it's a hobby and you're not the chief operator on the Titanic!!

Enjoy whatever you can find....ignore the rest.
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 02:33:57 AM »

I usually try to work just a bit above my comfort-zone, speed-wise. (To be honest, almost all of the CW I hear on the bands is above my comfort-zone, so my chances of making contacts within my comfort zone are fairly slim.)

I do call CQ when I'm out portable (often on 30 metres), or away from home, but I don't usually call CQ when I'm at home. Instead, I concentrate on answering CQ calls. Obviously, I'm not going to answer a CQ call unless I can read the caller's callsign, so that puts a speed limit on the calls I'll answer.

I've found that some folk slow down, some don't, and plenty of folk have answered my CQ calls at a significantly higher speed than I'm using (which, given I'm already stretching myself...). The greater the mis-match, the terser the contact will be, and if I can't read their callsign then there'll be no contact at all.
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 02:46:58 AM »

M0LEP: Same here.

It is a bit of a problem because the advice to improve CW skill is on-air QSOs. Unfortunately not many QSOs make me feel that I just got one tiny μ better.
We have a morse code skype group here. The purpose is to promote CW and get people to learn it. But most of the active are QRQers. I talked to the group owner and he said that there are many new but they are "hiding".
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 02:50:22 AM by OZ8AGB » Logged
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 05:09:16 AM »

I usually try to work just a bit above my comfort-zone, speed-wise. (To be honest, almost all of the CW I hear on the bands is above my comfort-zone, so my chances of making contacts within my comfort zone are fairly slim.)

likewise, over here too . .

just about All the CW that I'm able to hear, let alone work,
is well above my comfort zone, and thus most of my CQs remain unanswered.
  Roll Eyes
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2017, 05:49:19 AM »

Great thread indeed.

Ray, I call CQ often at 30 WPM or above, but I DO want ANY answer at any speed, and of course, I match that slower speed. Fortunately the QRS ops in VK know that I'm happy to slow down, and they can easily recognise my call sign at high speed because the EEE at the end is very distinctive.

Peter, I'll contact you off forum if you remind me if you don't hear from me in the coming days, as to why your CQ aren't getting answers. And thanks for the QSO recently, I enjoyed that, and we should do it more often.

I have just come off the phone from a slow speed ham friend in VK who would like on air practice. He learned CW at the slow visual to mental conversion to sound and sound to image to mental conversion to character method that now prevented him from getting past 10 WPM or so. Now he uses LCWO with a 30 WPM character speed and a 10 second gap. I convinced him to try 25 WPM instead, and we're going to have on air skeds where I will QSO him with a 22 WPM or so character speed, long gaps, and repeat each word twice, as I feel this would be a good way to help him progress. If you know every single word is repeated twice, that is a big help.

Ship radio OPs used to do that and I still do it when condx are poor in a chat to a friend e.g. in Europe, the Q code for it is "QSZ" repeat each word twice.

We spoke on the phone for over 3 hours, I have CW chats lasting over 6 hours with VK3IM, so be grateful you only have to read (or ignore) a book from me here!

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 07:23:26 AM »

We spoke on the phone for over 3 hours, I have CW chats lasting over 6 hours with VK3IM, so be grateful you only have to read (or ignore) a book from me here!
You obviously know what RCC means! I joined that "frat" back in the early 60's. There were too many "TU, 73's" as everyone wanted to fill their logbook and didn't want to chat. I "met" a fellow from the mid west that kept it going and when I thanked him for a great time he told me to watch for his QSL.
When it arrived I found that he had nominated me for membership. (I repaid the favor many times!! We ARE out there!)
Charlie
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 07:55:47 AM »

You obviously know what RCC means! I joined that "frat" back in the early 60's. There were too many "TU, 73's" as everyone wanted to fill their logbook and didn't want to chat. I "met" a fellow from the mid west that kept it going and when I thanked him for a great time he told me to watch for his QSL.
When it arrived I found that he had nominated me for membership. (I repaid the favor many times!! We ARE out there!)
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

No I did not know about Rag Chewers Club, I did a search and eventually found mention of it. I wonder if it still continues. Couldn't find a web site for it, but RCC members are likely too busy on air to have time to make a web site!

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: