The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are we missing out on slow speed CW on 30m?  (Read 3570 times)
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2017, 12:09:37 PM »

I filled out and sent in the FISTS club membership. I was going to go for the 1 year at 10.00 and then spotted the mention of "above 80" and almost had a Celiac attack. Hi. ... uh ... I'll explain that some day. Hi. (Rather messy subject.)
Charlie
KF0QS

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 08:11:01 AM »

Hey Folks:

This has been an interesting discussion to follow.

I've been a CW operator ever since I first came back to the hobby after a long period QRT (first licensed in '68, and QRT from '75 until '91).  Now that I'm retired, I am on the air nearly every day and am up to just above 20 wpm for code speed.  However, if I contact someone whose speed is slower, I always try to match that person's speed.  About the only thing that I find frustrating is someone who is really sloppy and doesn't seem to care.  Otherwise, I still remember my days of struggling and needing someone to be patient with me.

There is an op I've worked a couple of times who doesn't like slowing down for me (even though I can do 20 wpm), and gets critical when I don't go full QSK (i.e., I listen while sending my characters in case he wants to break in and say something - I do a modified version of this myself, but not to his hyper-crazy level).  The last time we worked, I got frustrated with his criticism and said that I was a long-time cw op, and didn't appreciate his criticism.  So, people refusing to accommodate my fist happens to me too.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that if any of you hear me calling CQ, don't hesitate to respond regardless of the speed at which I'm sending, and don't hesitate to ask me to QRS (i.e., "slow down").  And, if any of you can't find someone to talk to on the air, email me (my address is good at QRZ.com) and I'll be happy to set up a schedule. 

Hoping for more CW operators ...

73 de Bernie, KF0QS
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 05:19:10 PM »

GA/GN/GM OM Bernie,

A great post, nice to read from you, very good points you raise, and I hope you'll grace this board with more of your posts, so there are less of mine!

Unfortunately of course the rare experience you had from criticism of someone ON AIR for something you knew full well and was deliberate, and you are not inexperienced, though rare, does happen. Usually such things materialise on a forum like this where the inflexible will decry something like a 5 to 1 average of a particular bug style as being a 5 to 1 ratio as if the sender of it did not know and as if it was a problem.

Generally, if I'm on a bug, no matter what speed I'm going at, and someone replies on a keyer, I like to go over to a keyer as I think there are many keyer users who are unfamiliar with bug CW as in even slight variations no matter the fact they are deliberate. Not all for sure, VK3IM uses a keyer at high speeds, and I can use almost ANY even extreme style of bug exaggeration and he still copies. We delight in out ability to do the same with a few famous irregular handwriting folks often heard/QSO.

Which brings me to your comment about the sloppy CW, for sure, but, we cannot be sure can we if that sloppy CW is due to an impediment such as Parkinsons, MS, or some other handicap, and so to comment on it, would be wrong and very upsetting, on air anyway (which it is clear you do not) but we should consider the reasons for extra dits or missing dits. That said, yes, there are those of us especially ex commercial ops, who are used to the strong ability of especially the maritime radio ops to be able to copy all manner of fists, styles, keys rolling from side to side in a storm, "drunken sailor", and we often -- especially amongst ourselves -- don't see the need to send official CW and can rattle out "sloppy" CW just as two Jamaicans may have a relaxed conversation that two Oxford and Cambridge grads won't be able to follow, but then, we're talking amongst ourselves.

Myself only, without having any impediment affecting my sending of CW at present, being sober etc, I do adjust according to the other OP if I don't know them and their capabilities, even changing the key not only the speed. Or going from a swing or QRQ CQ where I got an answer, to the speed and style of the caller.

Be that as it may on air it is nice if we tolerate these variances in CW as much as we CAN, because there sure are not as many ACTIVE on CW as there were in years gone by, though that may well return, and appears to have been on the upswing for several years now.

73 de Lou

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2017, 10:18:30 AM »

I've heard the phrase "Life's too short for QRP"... is there a corollary "Life's too short for slow code"?

On the other hand, I can type at 70 words per minute.  If I need to go fast, I will send an email.  But on the ham bands, What Is the Rush?  (c) 2017.  There are plenty of other modes (texting, email, Facebook, etc.) where you can type as fast as you want. The reason to use CW is to go cw speed (slow!). And to have fun while doing it.  I enjoy CW but not at blindingly fast speed.  

Fast CW is like listening to the dial up modem.  You fast CW ops - have you ever had the urge to listen to a dial up modem and decode that by ear?  Hmmm?   Shocked

KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2017, 02:23:33 PM »

I am in full agreement with W3TTT's comment!  Why, go fast at all in the CW mode???

Ken KC8Y
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2017, 04:24:33 PM »

Because we can, it is easy, and natural.

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2017, 06:17:23 PM »

Define “fast”.  You can’t - really.

“Louis,Raymond , Allan - slow down immediately ! Some other children can’t keep-up and it makes them feel bad.”

-or-

How about we all send and receive as we choose. Speed-up, slow-down or remain as is. It’s
Called “freedom” and is harmless, yet essential to a healthy
Life.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 06:23:59 PM by W7ASA » Logged
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2017, 07:25:21 PM »

No More CW at speeds of your own choosing !!

VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2017, 09:19:39 PM »

We really are the last outpost of freedom Ray. We're forced to drive cars at no more than 5 km/h less than, or 1 km/h more than, the mandated speed fixed by some bureaucrat at the maximum revenue-generating and minimum non-uprising-causing speed, until that is accepted by all, then it is dropped further, until finally no cars can move more than 10 km/h and must be driver-less, and thus even in an emergency will not be able to go faster nor take any short cuts.

Mark my words, the above idiots are going to soon request speed limits on CW as well as that it must be at least 99.9% readable by authorised decoders, to ensure that no secret messages are being passed, and, must operate on set channels 1 kHz apart. Never mind that we're happy to slow down for the rest, and that we keep CW alive, just like those that have given their lives, blood, sweat and/or tears for people's rights and freedom, are long forgotten and just so that a new generation of idiots with no brains can eat, shit and sleep without producing anything useful for anyone, so it shall be in the future for CW once the voices of reason are drowned out by the brain dead incapable of any independent thought.

VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2017, 09:25:11 PM »

While were at it W3TTT and KC8Y would you also please advocate for a speed limit on data modes? FT8 is still slower than CW, but, the next mode won't be. So let us set a limit that nothing faster than FT8, RTTY at 50 baud only (way faster than most CW) and PSK31, and Pactor 1 only be allowed (as it is already much faster than the fastest CW), and Pactor 2, 3 and 4 all be banned along with any other data mode that goes faster than 24 WPM. What's good for the goose is good for than gander.

Ray, freedom clear isn't harmless, otherwise why do they take it away (along with responsibility that goes hand in hand with freedom)? Some quarters must feel threatened by freedom or they would not limit it beyond it's natural limits "my freedom stops only where it starts to impinge upon someone else's freedom".

If only people would understand THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muHg86Mys7I
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:44:58 PM by VK5EEE » Logged

W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2017, 10:44:21 PM »

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:47:37 PM by W7ASA » Logged
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2017, 07:06:12 AM »

ASA, I totally disagree, but ... snicker, giggle , guffaw
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »

UIM de ASA -

I'm glad that the humor is well received.  As for some of the topicS in this thread, being able to skillfully and respectfully disagree is enjoyable and I hope that more discussions can be enjoyable and informative, even though not drawing the same conclusions. That makes for a good read.

73 de Ray  ..._  ._
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2017, 03:44:27 PM »

I have to tell you that here in NW PA. the term "Cutting Loose" means something else. Except for we of the "Gluten Free" congregation, it is usually considered humorous to behold, but we must proceed with extreme caution. ... sigh ...
Charlie
KJ6TSX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 04:19:50 PM »

So I started reading this post and thought what is on 10 meters?? switched over and there was a operator doing between 5 -8 wpm WOW!!! Just what i needed.
Thanks
KJ6TSX
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: