The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bizarre, Lucrative world of 'unboxing' videos"  (Read 2163 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2017, 07:44:37 AM »

"Welcome to the world of "unboxing videos," one of the many peculiar genres on YouTube, the Google-owned video hosting site where viewers watch more than 6 billion hours of video every month. The volume of unboxing videos has boomed in recent years. Easy to make and surprisingly hypnotic to watch, the videos have become a lucrative little corner of the Internet for the people who film them.

The most popular unboxings are for expensive gadgets, like the iPhone, Xbox and PlayStation consoles. Competition for these views is fierce. " "Since 2010, the number of YouTube clips with "unboxing" in the headline has increased 871%."

Who knew these videos were so wildly popular? Why do so many watch these including hams. But after watching that Australian ham here unbox his spanking new IC-7610, I didn't want one anymore.  With these videos you can get some of the fun of acquiring a new possession... but for free. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/tech/web/youtube-unboxing-videos/index.html
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 07:48:24 AM »

There must be something wrong with me.  I don't enjoy watching unboxing videos.  Include you one for the 7610.  I get zero vicarious pleasure watching the unboxing.  Absolutely zero. Like I said, there is something different about me. 
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 08:24:56 AM »

There must be something wrong with me.  I don't enjoy watching unboxing videos.  Include you one for the 7610.  I get zero vicarious pleasure watching the unboxing.  Absolutely zero. Like I said, there is something different about me. 

Me too, this type of video does nothing for me.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 09:09:24 AM »

Yet over on the EEVBlog the Mailbox section is the most popular by a long way. Thousands of people watching an Australian guy opening his mail, go figure.

I'd rather see a good teardown or a weird fault that requires some diagnostic skill, but that's just me.

Peter DL8OV
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 09:29:05 AM »

This electronics semi-unboxing by Fran Blanche has > 250,000 views.

"The NIMO Tube: Rarest And Most Dangerous Digital Display Of All Time." I'd never heard of Fran and her FranLab. She must be some YT Maker star. You're definitely a techie if you sit thru this. But several viewers comment on how cute she is.

Fran, excitedly: "I've been working on this project FOR WEEKS"

Cameraman, roll the high voltage. Cue the excitement! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmWg7CtN0Ac&feature=youtu.be&t=2
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 12:03:02 PM »

"Welcome to the world of "unboxing videos," one of the many peculiar genres on YouTube......
Ha, absolutely!  I thought it was just me in thinking "huh?" when coming across some of those.  They're everywhere....someone unboxing something they'd just purchased.  Attention, wherever you can get it, I guess.  Weird, weird, weird.

K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »

The only time an "unboxing" gets a response out of me is if it's taking place on my own desk...
N1CZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 12:17:46 PM »

I have watched a couple of those videos a few years ago. Those were some kind of computer related thing; from cases to a video card. I think they were definitely made by people that needed to get out more than I did.

Now, I will at least start to watch the unboxing of some kind of gun ... that I will never purchase, but have curiosity about. Depending on how yakky the guy (99%) is, I might stick around. Apparently, many really love to hear their own voice. That 1% that are not guys, such as farm girl, are interesting at 1st blush, but then just ditsy. meh
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 12:34:07 PM »

"Attention, wherever you can get it, I guess.  Weird, weird, weird."

Not weird when some video makers are getting rich doing them. The Wall Street Journal mentioned the unboxing craze and published a piece yesterday on a related fad, gifts within gifts. Open that IC-7610 and also find a surprise little HT inside. Toys within toys are hot this year, I guess. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/surprise-the-holiday-toys-that-keep-givers-in-the-dark-1511611201

Some companies are now making their own unboxing videos.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 02:18:28 PM »

I would be interested in seeing someone unbox some NOS (New Old Stock) radio from 50 or 60 years ago (especially some Heathkit Classic).

Are there any unboxing videos of (untouched never opened) radios from 50 or 60 years ago?

But otherwise, for newer stuff...no not really. But to each his own........

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
G8HQP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 04:44:54 AM »

Recently I watched an unboxing video for a USB enclosure for an external disc. I thought I might learn something not mentioned in the official description of the item. I didn't realise that this is a new genre of video entertainment.

The box laying on the table was in focus. As he brought items closer to the camera they went out of focus, although larger. This particular enclosure has a power cable, a USB cable, and internal cables for both EIDE and SATA discs. As he lifted each cable out of the box and carefully held it in the out-of-focus position he said "This is a cable" or "This is another cable". This might be very informative for someone who has never seen a cable before.

I did, almost by accident, learn one useful thing. This USB 2.0 version of the enclosure uses cables to connect to the disc so here is some flexibility; a 2.5" disc can be used in the 3.5" enclosure. The newer USB 3.0 version is SATA only (I already knew that) and appears not to use a cable but just a PCB-mounted socket so perhaps only a 3.5" disc will fit properly.

Why do people make these videos? Is it a bizarre form of self-publicity?
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 06:31:33 AM »

Most expensive thing ever unboxed on YT, and it's an oscilloscope.  Our ever-enthusiastic Aussie friend from EEVblog outdoes himself taking the "wraps" off this $140,000 (Australian) scope...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOurdJomEoc
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 07:12:41 AM »

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 09:31:19 AM »

Unboxing videos?

WHY!  WHO CARES!
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »

I've seen a few unboxing vids, they are silly for the most part, and done badly quite often. The aforementioned droning voice showing cables and things, out of focus even are just awful.

I've seen review videos of products that led me to buy same. What a mistake! I got the original Samsung smartphone and it absolutely sucked at two things: making calls and getting directions, the only things I wanted it for... so lesson learned, the reviewers are going to say glowing things because they are trying to build up a following and get free stuff... One reviewer that specialized in phones had fingernails that looked like she had been working on a car, not once but in every video she made, yuck... enough already

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: