The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bizarre, Lucrative world of 'unboxing' videos"  (Read 2109 times)
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 10:19:58 AM »

> Why do people make these videos? Is it a bizarre form of self-publicity?

Money.
W8LGZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 05:34:09 PM »

There must be something wrong with me.  I don't enjoy watching unboxing videos.  Include you one for the 7610.  I get zero vicarious pleasure watching the unboxing.  Absolutely zero. Like I said, there is something different about me. 

Same here. I find then rather juvenile.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »

I'd rather eat a bar of soap.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 01:15:46 AM »

Funny thing is that some of those YouTubers are making a great deal of money!   
WB0CJB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 06:06:37 AM »

No its just a whole lot of people with WAAAAAY too much time on their hands.
N1CZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 03:04:37 PM »

Funny thing is that some of those YouTubers are making a great deal of money!   
Unboxers are making a little bit of money. Butt, if you are a blond female, curvy, and showing plenty of skin ... then yes. Talk about whatever you want. I always put those on mute anyway not that I would watch anything like that.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 05:29:08 PM »

I agree unboxing a sexy female is something I would likely enjoy watching, but I think the answer lies in the post 1984 world we live in and one of the realities is:
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.
Tune into any radio or TV program and you'll hear plenty where being as stupid as possible is "cool", we live in the Era of the Idiot. Idiot is King.
So, those making unboxing videos clearly know this and take full advantage, as it must be profitable for them. I.E. they're not the idiots but those that watch may be.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 07:24:45 AM »

Another weird fetish that emerges as a consequence of the internet....Psychologically speaking, unboxers are exhibitionists and latent show offs.  They relish in teasing their viewers as they peel back packaging materials thus exposing the object of their affection.  This is a consequence of sexual repression.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 12:52:12 PM »

See, all the weirdos aren't just in HR!  Cheesy

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
VK4XJB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 04:39:15 PM »

Yet over on the EEVBlog the Mailbox section is the most popular by a long way. Thousands of people watching an Australian guy opening his mail, go figure.

How much of that is because of what he uses for a letter opener?

I have watched one radio unboxing. The stream went from unboxing to getting the radio on air. The person was on irc at the time so people were able to give live feed back and ask questions even if that did include suggesting the person do the macarena when things got really slow.
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 04:43:40 AM »

Another weird fetish that emerges as a consequence of the internet....Psychologically speaking, unboxers are exhibitionists and latent show offs.  They relish in teasing their viewers as they peel back packaging materials thus exposing the object of their affection.  This is a consequence of sexual repression.

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar,................. unless YOU are a voyeur.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 05:39:54 AM »

Something very "former president" comes to mind.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 10:44:23 AM »

"Welcome to the world of "unboxing videos," one of the many peculiar genres on YouTube, the Google-owned video hosting site where viewers watch more than 6 billion hours of video every month. The volume of unboxing videos has boomed in recent years. Easy to make and surprisingly hypnotic to watch, the videos have become a lucrative little corner of the Internet for the people who film them.

The most popular unboxings are for expensive gadgets, like the iPhone, Xbox and PlayStation consoles. Competition for these views is fierce. " "Since 2010, the number of YouTube clips with "unboxing" in the headline has increased 871%."

Who knew these videos were so wildly popular? Why do so many watch these including hams. But after watching that Australian ham here unbox his spanking new IC-7610, I didn't want one anymore.  With these videos you can get some of the fun of acquiring a new possession... but for free. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/tech/web/youtube-unboxing-videos/index.html

Un-boxing, lol.  How about a de-boxing video?
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 12:53:43 AM »

Some YouTubers are actually making substantial money.  One just needs to hit on something that many people are "interested" in watching!  Roll Eyes
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 03:23:49 AM »

Just curious, how do they make money in doing that ?
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: