The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna for 75m and 40m  (Read 607 times)
N9AYH

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »

Any suggestions for just a dual band mobile antenna. I'm only interested in operating on 75m and 40m. I've had a Hi-Q multi band motorized antenna and now want just a "simple" antenna. I don't want anything like a 'hamstick" helical wound.

TNX
Blake
N9ayh
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 05:20:38 PM »

A center-loaded Texas Bugcatcher type of antenna is many decades old but is still a good performer.
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 07:45:32 AM »

Many years ago I had a BB3 Screwdriver type antenna. Performance wise it was a great antenna. But I got sick of every time I changed from 20 to 40 meters I had to run the motor and take my eyes off of the road way too long. I decided to make a dual band setup so I can simply change bands on the radio. If 15 meters was open I'd add a thrid resonator to include 15 meters.

Shown on my web page is what I have used for many years.....and still do !

http://www.ku3x.net/hf-mobile

Since you want to use 80 meters as well as 40 meters, you will be very limited for the 80 meter band width and somewhat limited on 40 meters.

The Hustler resonators work great. For you, I’d modify a Hustler 80 meter (CW coil) for 40 meters. Since it uses a much longer whip than a 40 meter resonator you will increase the ERP and bandwidth on 40 meters.
When it comes to 80 meters, if you don’t use the Bug Catcher type coil like I do and you may possibly choose the Hustler coil, “DO NOT use the KW resonator !” It advertises a little bit broader bandwidth but it is actually a lower Q coil. The metal cap on top of the coil lowers the Q of the coil and the performance actually suffers. Many years ago I did field strength test on numerous mobile antenna and found it to be true.

If I go on long rides, like a trip to Dayton, I use my so called, “Over the Roa Antenna." The overall height of the antenna is actually 13' 9".  I’ve never been stopped.
It does attract attention since the car is small, but never stopped.

Barry

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: