The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ClubLog Showing "Data" for JT8 QSOs?  (Read 917 times)
KC0W

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2017, 08:48:12 PM »

Hello,

EDIT: Disregard JT8 in the title. It should read FT8.

Made some FT8 QSOs & upload them to ClubLog but they show "Data" as the mode. I then hand deleted them thinking it should show "FT8" as the mode. I will upload them again but I need to know if "Data" is correct for ClubLog. On my N1MM log they show as FT8.

Tom V85/KC0W      
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:51:57 PM by KC0W » Logged
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 02:13:31 AM »

Forget it.

After making 55 QSOs on FT8 I have completely given up on trying to operate FT8. Way, way too many idiots who have zero clue as to what they are doing. On the plus side this was the first time FT8 has ever been on the air from Brunei. Sorry but I just don't have the patience to deal with complete lids.      

I will upload to ClubLog as "Data" and leave it at that. I should have never diverted from operating 100% CW.

Tom V85/KC0W          
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:14:12 AM »

Tom, there is nothing wrong with FT8 showing as Data. "Data" is a mode group that includes RTTY, JT65, FT8, and a bunch of other digital modes. Clublog and ARRL DXCC award do not care which data mode it was, it will match.

Your activation of rare places with FT8 is very pioneering and I'm not surprised there are some bumps on the road. Whipping a pileup into order is hard enough on phone or CW where there are many experienced hams who are using their ears. Hams active on FT8 tend to not have much broad DX experience and it's not at all obvious that the usual split conventions that make dxpeditions possible on CW or phone, that the inexperienced hams doing FT8 would understand or recognize these techniques at all. If those CW and phone techniques would even conceivably be

I myself have made only a hundred or so PSK31 or FT8 QSO's. What surprises me is that the guys I'm working on these new digital modes, are not guys that I've ever worked on CW, SSB, or RTTY. It's a completely new world.

I have done PSK31 at field days in past years and so many of the operators on the digital modes have no clue the difference between who running a frequency vs who is S&P. Just no idea at all. This confusion happens occasionally in CW and SSB, and a little more in RTTY, but in PSK31 it's just pandemic. A very different class of operator. I would get frustrated/disgusted and just walk away from the operating position every so often because I was about ready to jump up and down on the computer and turn it into mangled plastic and metal. Other hams on the field day team, could deal with and work the digital mode newbies with more of a smile.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:16:16 AM by N3QE » Logged
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 07:20:25 PM »

Forget it.

After making 55 QSOs on FT8 I have completely given up on trying to operate FT8. Way, way too many idiots who have zero clue as to what they are doing. On the plus side this was the first time FT8 has ever been on the air from Brunei. Sorry but I just don't have the patience to deal with complete lids.      

I will upload to ClubLog as "Data" and leave it at that. I should have never diverted from operating 100% CW.

Tom V85/KC0W          

Tom,

Thank you very very much for trying!

I'm a big fan and promoter of FT8, but I agree with you, the current operating practices of some users leave a lot to be desired.

It has to do not only with the newness of the mode, but the 'newness' of a lot of users.

I'm not happy to say this, but I think we should wait for the dust to settle after the stampede FT8 has triggered, before using it from top tier DX entities.

Please don't write it off, just put it on hold for now.

Thanks again!

73 de Vince, VA3VF
KJ3N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 07:48:03 PM »

The moron and idiot factor has gone up tremendously in the last couple of months, even for some of us stateside ops.  Roll Eyes

I'm amazed at the number of USA ops who think they're DX to me. Apparently, CQ DX KJ3N FM29 doesn't mean what I think it means.

K2FW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 03:47:22 PM »

Forget it.

Tom V85/KC0W          

Thanks!   Sub-audible modes never should belong in with mixed-DXCC anyway.  A complete farce by the ARRL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: