The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW.....About time!!!!!!  (Read 2889 times)
N9RMA

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:15:40 AM »

Not being a computer guru----  I got LoTW up and running today..Results show I had 809 QSO's with 540 QSL's  I guess what I am asking is are those 540 ops using Lotw  and or the rest just not upload yet or the don't participate at all.  On a scale of 1 to 10 I am a 4 on computer savy but proud Idid it all by myself    73 Bob N9RMA
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »

Not being a computer guru----  I got LoTW up and running today..Results show I had 809 QSO's with 540 QSL's  I guess what I am asking is are those 540 ops using Lotw  and or the rest just not upload yet or the don't participate at all.  On a scale of 1 to 10 I am a 4 on computer savy but proud Idid it all by myself    73 Bob N9RMA

Congratulations, Bob!

Ops differ in how frequently they submit their logged QSOs to LoTW. Some use logging applications that automatically submit a QSO to LoTW the instant it's first logged; others upload batches of QSOs at the end of each operating session, at the end of each week, or at the end of each month. Occasionally, you may receive a confirmation from a QSO made months or even years ago, as a new LoTW user like yourself submits his or her logged QSOs. QSOs made in a data mode like PSK31, RTTY, or FT8 are more likely to be confirmed via LoTW because most data mode ops have a computer in their shack, which increases the likelihood that they participate in LoTW.

You can check to see whether or not an op has previously submitted QSOs to LoTW, and see the date of their last submission; instructions for doing that are here.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:42:18 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »

Not being a computer guru----  I got LoTW up and running today..Results show I had 809 QSO's with 540 QSL's  I guess what I am asking is are those 540 ops using Lotw  and or the rest just not upload yet or the don't participate at all.  On a scale of 1 to 10 I am a 4 on computer savy but proud Idid it all by myself    73 Bob N9RMA

Good move joining LoTW, Bob.

The system just "matches up" QSO information that's uploaded by users.

So, not seeing a match (QSL) to a contact you've upload just means that there's no matching info in the system from the "other side" of the contact.

It may mean that the other operator is an LoTW user who has not (yet) uploaded that QSO, or that the operator isn't an LoTW user, or that you've both uploaded QSO info, but for whatever reason it doesn't match (for example an incorrect date).

As N9RMA's post points out, if you're an "old timer" who's uploaded logs going back many years, you'll sometime see new QSL's pop up for contacts from many years ago, as new users come onto the system, or as current users "back fill" old logs.

The really great thing about LoTW is that it automatically keeps track of your awards status, showing you how many QSLs you have to qualify for each award and endorsement.

Just keep uploading your logs.

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 01:28:57 PM »

Congratulations on getting on LOTW Bob.  You are already ahead of the game by a bit if you have 809 Q's and 540 confirmed.

I am at 4177 Uploaded and 2177 confirmed.  If you work SSB or CW mostly you won't have even that good of a ratio.  Most digital operators are on LOTW, many SSB operators are not, or don't even log on paper. So your ratio is quite good.  It may not hold up though. Many do go back thru their old logs as time permits and uploads do trickle in.  Again we are very proud of you for taking this step.
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 01:47:44 PM »

Congratulations on getting on LOTW Bob.  You are already ahead of the game by a bit if you have 809 Q's and 540 confirmed.

I am at 4177 Uploaded and 2177 confirmed.  If you work SSB or CW mostly you won't have even that good of a ratio.  Most digital operators are on LOTW, many SSB operators are not, or don't even log on paper. So your ratio is quite good.  It may not hold up though. Many do go back thru their old logs as time permits and uploads do trickle in.  Again we are very proud of you for taking this step.

I operate CW almost exclusively these days 38,280/19897 (LotW since 2008) so about 2:1 , when i did some RTTY it was closer to 1.5/1 ,  didnt notice any difference between PSK and CW . SSB might be a little lower.
N9RMA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 02:20:42 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Just a word for the newbies and the OM,s that haven't taken the leap yet; I.E. LoTW. After reading lots of threads; I just knew the world would end if I even tried to down load Lotw let alone get it up and running..Nothing was farther from the truth. As stated in my first thread I am computer stupid. Give it a try; take your time; and if it doesn't work the first time go to the help section; take notes and try again. Don't believe anything the naysayers might have you talked into.GL Bob N9RMA
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 06:11:26 PM »

If you're interested in getting started with LoTW, step-by-step instructions are here

Help is available from the ARRL via LoTW-help@arrl.org. There is an ARRL-LoTW Yahoo Group that anyone can join. Or you can post questions in this eHam forum.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 07:04:48 PM »

After reading lots of threads; I just knew the world would end if I even tried to down load Lotw let alone get it up and running..Nothing was farther from the truth.

As the great statesman, Abraham Lincoln, said: Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I saw the above on one of those famous people's quotes website. What a visionary he was.  Grin
NQ2N

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 05:40:57 AM »

It would be great if all amateur operators joined LOTW.  And while you are at it, please register for eQSL too.  Even if you aren't interested in that platform it would be helpful to the others that are.  eQSL was established before LoTW and has more than twice the registered users world wide.  My logging program uploads automatically to both and my return rate is 60% for eQSL and 44% for LoTW.  And nice work in getting that to work for you!  It is a challenge to put it all together. 
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 07:03:30 AM »

The ranks of LOTW users is growing daily, a quick look over the LOTW confirmations I received this month are from contacts made in 2010, 11, 12, 13 14, 16 & 17. My complete log from my 1st QSO till now is up loaded and I have received confirmations from the 60's and 70's. A quick look at my last 50 confirmations that's opens when you click "most recent QSL's" shows 1 from 2001, one from 2003 and one from 2005.

Pretty cool seeing a confirmation pop up from a QSO almost 20 years ago.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 09:23:19 AM »

eQSL was established before LoTW and has more than twice the registered users world wide. 

The number of Authenticity-Guaranteed eQSL callsigns is about the same as the number of LoTW callsigns: ~110K.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 09:25:23 AM »

eQSL was established before LoTW and has more than twice the registered users world wide. 

The number of Authenticity-Guaranteed eQSL callsigns is about the same as the number of LoTW callsigns: ~110K.

And I suspect it's that high because it can use a LOTW account to authenticate.
NQ2N

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 03:02:11 PM »

So I guess they are equal in value after all.   
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »

I would not go that far, and say they have equal value. While I think LOTW went overboard with NSA like security measures, the blind matching system it uses is far superior than eQSL.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:11:33 PM by VA3VF » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 01:05:59 AM »

I would not go that far, and say they have equal value. While I think LOTW went overboard with NSA like security measures, the blind matching system it uses is far superior than eQSL.

The ARRL did not "go overboard" in designing LoTW's security measures.

Many ops consider the pursuit of ARRL awards to be a lifetime objective; they therefore expect the ARRL to maintain the integrity of these awards. If an adversary were to inject large numbers of of fraudulent QSOs and confirmations into an insufficiently-protected LoTW, there would be no way to recover; ARRL award standings would be rendered meaningless. Contrast this with fraudulent charges on one of your credit card accounts, which your bank can remedy without adverse long-term consequences by restoring your funds, issuing you a new credit card, and writing off the loss.

To maintain the long-term integrity of ARRL awards, LoTW employs authentication, double-blind matching, and revocable Callsign Certificates; these mechanisms make it difficult to fabricate QSOs and confirmations, and make it possible to revoke fabricated confirmations.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: