The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Double Bazooka 40M Antenna on QRP Rigs  (Read 1155 times)
DV9HWO

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:51:29 AM »

Hello fellow QRP operators especially Yaesu FT-817ND owners/users.

I just have this Transceiver a month ago and may i know if this type of rig is capable of prolong usage using a Double Bazooka as the Antenna on 40meters?

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 06:23:39 AM »

Yes, you can use a double bazooka antenna with an FT-817.

Despite the claims of some advertisers, isn't really any better than a standard
dipole, however.  It has slightly higher losses, it is a monoband antenna, and
it will be heavier for portable use. 

But it is not much worse than a standard dipole, either.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 10:44:30 PM »

I researched and listened to countless accounts of the wonderful, unbelievable bazooka antenna.  I spent some bucks, did a lot of work assembling this antenna as well as risking my 81 year old ass climbing my tower (when the wife was occupied with something else besides keeping an eye on me) ....

and the bottom line was as BYU stated!  Save you time, money and energy for something worthwhile.

What did I gain?  Perhaps 10-20KHz of bandwidth.  Hardly worth the effort!
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 03:45:27 PM »

Yes, and the 10-20KHz additional bandwidth comes at the expense of higher loss in the stubs.
You could do the same thhing with a resistor at the feedpoint.

Dale W4OP
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 04:53:19 PM »

in the antenna business there is a sucker born every minute looking for that magic miracle wire Roll Eyes

Carl
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 11:14:26 PM »

1H:  During my 62 year ham career I've been snagged by more than one "magic antenna" and a few other things that was at the end of the line.

I imagine you have as well.   Roll Eyes
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 02:48:59 PM »

1H:  During my 62 year ham career I've been snagged by more than one "magic antenna" and a few other things that was at the end of the line.

I imagine you have as well.

Nope, since in my 62 years I built all my wires and verticals plus about 90% of the yagis from 40M to UHF antennas and still do....including tower climbing.

The closest I came to questionable antennas was when a 2 el 20M Gotham was given to me after suffering storm damage late in my Novice years. With the help of a local metal scrap yard and the ARRL HB it became a decent 3 el 15M that almost made Novice DXCC and did finish WAS. Of course Cycle 19 played a big part.
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »

Like many have said.  Its over sold and underperforms.

For less weight and fuss a common dipole will do as well and
more frugal.

Allison
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 11:05:57 PM »

as well as risking my 81 year old ass climbing my tower (when the wife was occupied with something else besides keeping an eye on me) ....
Woo-hah!! You too??? Hi! I thought it was just my XYL that was driving my almost 84 year old butt to the inactive, senility farm! We're old, not helpless. Hi.
Charlie
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 12:04:07 AM »

I can honestly say that I have NEVER heard anyone on CW using one of those contraptions!
It seems like a lot of expensive and heavy weight coaxial cable in the air for nil gain.
Stick with end feds or doublets/dipoles for real results, that is if you have a choice. Might be it's all u have to work wid?
K7LZR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 08:47:49 PM »

I use a homebrew 75m Double Bazooka here and I have found one advantage on receive - it is a closed antenna (DC grounded) and so it is less noisy than the 40m Dipole which I also use. I don't use the Bazooka much for transmitting though.....
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 10:06:56 PM »

Charlie....as one old man to another.....sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do but let's not kid ourselves....we have no business doing some things anymore.

Three days ago I fell off a step stool backwards while trimming the &^%$^ Christmas tree!  Then 10 minutes later fell off it again only this time into my recliner and not the pile of decorations.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: