The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-47A tones???where did they go?  (Read 396 times)
KA4AQM

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2017, 02:52:17 PM »

Recently bought a great little IC-47A, but it will not access the local repeaters with tones. Short of digging into the radio, how can I chk for tones being transmitted? Simplex works fine. Perhaps tone generator is shot or missing, but the word TONE shows up in orange on the face telling me I can select TONE, but I think the tones are not going out. ANY help would be appreciated. 73, Randy, KA4AQM
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 03:31:41 PM »

Did you set it to the right tone frequency?

I have the manual for the 2m IC-27A in front of me, and the tones are set by number.  You need a
copy of the manual to know which tone number corresponds to which tone frequency.

And, while the manual says  you can save the tone setting in memory, that may just mean that you
can save the tone ON/OFF setting.  Based on my experience with this and the later IC-28, it wouldn't
surprise me if you still have to set the actual tone frequency manually each time you switch to a
different repeater, rather than relying on the tone frequency being stored in memory.  (At the time
these rigs were made, access tones weren't as common as they are today.)

You can't test the tone in simplex mode because the radio only transmits tone in duplex mode (even
when the TONE light is on.)  However, if you can listen directly to the output of the radio in duplex
mode, you can set the tone number to something between 39 and 55, and you should hear an
audible tone on the output.

It is possible that something is wrong with the tone generator, or more likely that the tone deviation
control is set wrong (either too little or too much deviation when the tone is generated.)
KA4AQM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 04:20:54 PM »

Thanks wb6byu. My original 2M rig when first licensed in 1979 was (and still being used) is the ic-27A. Very familiar with the radio, programming, memory, and all that.  I have hit cpu reset twice. I know numbers are used for tones, etc. I have listened to output in simplex and duplex on another radio....like I said, simplex it does great. My thoughts are leaning towards tone generator. I’ve sent text to previous owner asking if he knew anything about this deficiency. I have full manuals for both -27 and -47, great radios. Was just trying to throw a line out for ideas. Again, thanks for the ideas....do you still have the 27a?
Randy
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »

Wouldn't be hard to pop the cover and make sure the tone IC is installed.  Guessing you don't have a service monitor but if you could lay hands on a basic scope, even a soundcard scope you can install for free, you could poke at the encoder circuit and see what if any tones it's generating.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KA4AQM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 06:02:06 PM »

Thanks Mark.....still scratching my head, waiting for an epiphany   Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: